The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 11:19:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working gears  (Read 1929 times)
Fyzzle
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:31:32 am »

I am making a display panel for some audio equipment and in one of the corners I want to have some working clockwork.  It wouldn't have a point except to click around and look cool.  I was going to use one of those battery powered hardware parts from the back of a $10 cheap clock. 

So my question is: Where do I find some sweet looking gears to rotate in there, and if possible some tips on how to make it look cool? Cheesy
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:16:51 pm »

What size range are you looking for in those gears?

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:23:46 pm »

You could just get a skeletonised watch movement or two and put them onto your panel. The chinese ones are really cheap, save you the time it'd take to build the mechanism on your own and tell the time as a bonus.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Fyzzle
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:35:46 pm »

What size range are you looking for in those gears?

Cheers
Harold

Oh ballpark I would say 10"x8"

It won't be square, more like a "peeled away" look so say top right corner area like a right triangle

Ill clarify: That would be the space size, as far as the gears some large some small.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:21:13 pm by Fyzzle » Logged
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:57:12 am »

Old meccano gears are available fairly cheaply on ebay. Just add an electric motor to make them whirl Smiley

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Fyzzle
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:33:48 am »

Oh nice!  That's pretty much what i'm looking for.  I'm noticing they don't make their way to the states much, is there an equivalent manufacturer across the pond?  If not I'll do what I have to do. Smiley
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:19:49 am »

I'll be at my watchmakers next week. He also does clocks, let me ask if he has any old clock gears/parts he doesn;t need...

Cheers
Harold
Fyzzle
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 06:25:35 pm »

I'll be at my watchmakers next week. He also does clocks, let me ask if he has any old clock gears/parts he doesn;t need...

Cheers
Harold

You sir, are both a gentleman and a scholar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: