The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 10:03:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wristwatch suggestion  (Read 1451 times)
popuptoaster
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

What? Where?

« on: November 06, 2008, 06:41:41 pm »

My other half has said she'll get me "an old watch" for christmas if thats what i really want. Cheesy

We are paupers though so it needs to be under £100, im after a mechanical chronograph or a face with at least one extra dial on it as thats the style i like, something obviously mechanical looking, maybe slightly unusual i dunno, not gold coloured and not with a metal bracelet, the older the better but i do know we are at the very bottom end of the market with our budget, it dont have to be mint as long as it works ok, dont mind military issue, i quite like some of the russian watches.

As i dont rweally know about these things and the couple of dealers i have emailed have never got back to me im looking for some suggestions of what i can look out for online or on ebay, basically i dont want to buy a low quality one thats gonna break or not keep good time, and ebay is full of "rare" bargins that could be comming from china at £5 a pop for all i know.

help please! Cheesy

I'm sorry madam, I'm just not that much of a gentleman.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:25:33 pm »

My other half has said she'll get me "an old watch" for christmas if thats what i really want. Cheesy

We are paupers though so it needs to be under £100, im after a mechanical chronograph or a face with at least one extra dial on it as thats the style i like, something obviously mechanical looking, maybe slightly unusual i dunno, not gold coloured and not with a metal bracelet, the older the better but i do know we are at the very bottom end of the market with our budget, it dont have to be mint as long as it works ok, dont mind military issue, i quite like some of the russian watches.

As i dont rweally know about these things and the couple of dealers i have emailed have never got back to me im looking for some suggestions of what i can look out for online or on ebay, basically i dont want to buy a low quality one thats gonna break or not keep good time, and ebay is full of "rare" bargins that could be comming from china at £5 a pop for all i know.

help please! Cheesy

Do you want vintage, or "new that looks old"? In vintage  mechanical chronos, you won't see a lot in that price range. If new, and you want mechanical, you might want to look at the Alpha line. They use a Chinese movement that is a copy of the old Venus chrono movement. Poljot would be another option, but they tend to be pricy nowadays..
I'll have a peek at the UK ebay site and see what I can see for you..
 Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: