The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 05:33:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found: WARNING!!!! World War 1 Wrist Watch Crystal Guards  (Read 8973 times)
Capt_Zaphod
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

Chrono Corps Agent:42

Captain_Zaphod
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:38:42 am »

They're at the AERO-CHRONO site.

World War 1 , Wrist Watch Crystal Guard, fits most military type wrist watches  $6.95

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:30:27 pm by Capt_Zaphod » Logged

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:18:26 am »

Nice find..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 06:12:55 am »

i wish i had one of then i just put a crack in my crystal
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:17:37 pm »

These won't actually protect a crystal from cracking. If you hit the watch hard enough to crack the crystal, then these guards wouldn't have helped any.
In order to be able to be fitted to a wristwatch tehse are quite soft and flexible. There was a discussion on them over at one of the mil-watch sites, and the concensus was that theye were cosmetic only. Also some folks found that while the guards were ok on glass crystals, they could scratch plastic or acrylic crystals quite easily.

Cheers
Harold
Capt_Zaphod
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Captain_Zaphod
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 12:42:33 am »

Oh no ... glad I didn't order it yet.  I was just about to, but, thankfully checked in first.

I want something like this for my pocket watch; as I'm quite clumsy.

Any suggestions, please?

Thank you
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

Order it, you won't be disappointed at all. 

The mesh guard which is shown on the page of the website you listed in this thread link is exactly the one I (well, 2) I own - one is on my new all-in-one pocket watch/cell phone (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=11226.0) and the other on my wrist mounted pocket watch (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=9869.0). 

In the wrist-mounted thread I talked about how tough 3M automotive grade exterior foam tape is for daily use, but the same is true for the crystal guard seen in the photos.  It has been used to protect my watch for about 17 months at this writing, and it has done a perfect job thru working on my farm, shoveling snow, etc.  The steel is very tough and will simply not deform under any sort of normal, or even abnormal, blows.  How do I know this?  When I received the 1st one I hit it with a hammer a number of times and the guard did not bend, although the lug holders did slightly as they should have.

My wrist pocket watch face is too wide (38mm crystal, 86m lug-to-lug) for attaching the guard to the lugs, so I bent the lugs to wrap around the removable bezel surrounding the watch face and that workaround worked perfectly. 

Initially I placed one of these WatchBra squishy clear PVC crystal guards between the mesh guard and the watch crystal but I stopped using it after a couple of months.  Why?  It did not seem to do very much in terms of protection (and time has proven this to be true) and it collected dust like a magnet.  Here’s a link to an Ebay seller who has them in sizes from 16mm-38mm.  http://stores.ebay.com/Removable-Clear-Guitar-Pickguard_WatchBra-Clear-Crystal-Protec_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ5QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Yes, anything will break if enough force is applied, but I can tell you from experience and can prove by experiment that this crystal guard works as advertised but be prepared to do some mods to it if your watch lugs don’t exactly fit the guard. 

Note: my wrist pocket watch’s crystal is one tough piece of whatever, and unlike older pocket watches one can actually use this as a dive watch, as the seller (Nautica) rates it water-tight to a depth of 10 meters.  If I had any type of older or more valuable real pocket watch I’d use a WatchBra under the mesh guard until comfortable the guard could handle its job w/o backup assistance from the WatchBra.  markf

PS - good catch on the site, I had been searching for a regular seller, rather than just sporadically checking Ebay, for a year or more now but had not found one.

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 07:15:19 pm »

FYI.. 10 meters is considered not very water resistant in the watch world. That correlates to a 1 Atm pressure rating. I'd consider that a minimum of 3 Atm (or 30 meters) as a minimum for a water resistance rating.  You need to have at least a screw-down crown with double gaskets, crystal gaskets, and a screwback case with gaskets for any real water resistance. Even my old Seiko 6309 diver from the 1980's was rated to 150M.. None of my "sport"  watches are rated for less than 100M, heck, my dress Rolex is rated 100M, and the Submariner is rated to 300M.
 (another thing, if you open the back of your watch, you may compromise the water resistance, if you do not re-lube the gaskets and are very careful about seating. If you do use a dive watch for diving, it is strongly recommended that you have it pressure tested to its rated depth after any time service or other work is done.) 

As far as these guards go, I'd still consider them more cosmetic than useful, and would avoid their use on acrylic crystals. (BTW, if you want a tough crystal, look for a watch that has a sapphire one)

As always, that's my take on it, and as they say, your mileage may vary..

Cheers
Harold
Capt_Zaphod
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Captain_Zaphod
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 08:06:27 pm »

What about using the bra, and guard together?
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 11:12:13 pm »

I used them together but so much dust & dirt stuck to the bra I took it off the watch.  Using both together will work fine as long as you have the correct fit to both.  Fortunately neither the guard nor the bra is terribly expensive.  markf
Capt_Zaphod
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Captain_Zaphod
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 07:37:29 pm »

Got mine in the mail ...
Don't order from this company!!!

The guard is almost small enough to fit on a ladies watch.  The guard is no where's near large enough to cover my pocket watch.

It definitely wouldn't fit on a mens band. 

Also, it's soft enough, with no real effort, to bend by hand.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 05:56:51 am »

That was pretty much the verdict I reported  in a previous post ,from the military watch collectors over on another forum...
Sorry that it didn;t work out

Cheers
Harold

EDIT... Incidentally, most men's wristwatches of the pot WWI era were quite small by today's standards. I have one from 1919 that's only 24 mm in diameter, so the size they use is appropriate for the era.
     As far as pocketwatches go, the guards were designed and made as an integral part of the case, and generally were not designed to be added on afterwards, as the front bezel of teh case needed to be modified to fit and retain the guard.
     I suppose you could obtain a cheap modern watch in a hunter case, and mod the front case lid to resemble a guard, but that might be a bit fiddly..

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:47:24 am by HAC » Logged
Capt_Zaphod
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Captain_Zaphod
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:39:45 am »

That was pretty much the verdict I reported  in a previous post ,from the military watch collectors over on another forum...
Sorry that it didn;t work out

Cheers
Harold

Yes Harold ... you had warned me ... I should have listened.   Embarrassed

I had seen the results that Mark had gotten, and was hoping to be able to replicate that.  I guess I'll need to make my own, in order to get the specific results that I want.  The trick will be to get brass thin enough to work with, yet thick enough to be durable.

The thing is that the guard won't touch the watch, but be about an 1/8th of an inch above it to protect the crystal, for when I drop it.  I know myself, and how clumsy I am ... I drop everything.  Ask my wife about the family heirlooms that I've shattered ...
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 04:02:04 pm »

Ok, that's good information to know, don't buy from these folks.  The two I bought on Ebay are so tough they can only be bent by direct blows of a small hammer, and after 18 months of daily use on my wrist-mounted pocket watch (50mm crystal) there are no bends or kinks of any type.  We now know  good ones out there, and I'm very sorry it did not work out for your project.  markf
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 06:27:24 pm »

Incidentally, here's a WWI era wristwatch from my collection.. Swiss, pin lever, 22MM diameter. Note the fixed lugs, common in this era..
This was a flea market find. Surprisingly, all it needed was a bit of a clean and it ran. Keeps time to about 40 seconds a day loss..

Cheers
Harold
Capt_Zaphod
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Captain_Zaphod
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 12:15:32 am »

Incidentally, here's a WWI era wristwatch from my collection.. Swiss, pin lever, 22MM diameter. Note the fixed lugs, common in this era..
This was a flea market find. Surprisingly, all it needed was a bit of a clean and it ran. Keeps time to about 40 seconds a day loss..

Cheers
Harold
Great find Harold.  Looks great.
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 07:33:35 pm »

Sorry for the terrible thread necromancy, but has anyone found a watch guard of that sort, suitable for a modern wrist watch with a 38mm diameter case?

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
Capt_Zaphod
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Captain_Zaphod
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 07:35:18 pm »

Sorry for the terrible thread necromancy, but has anyone found a watch guard of that sort, suitable for a modern wrist watch with a 38mm diameter case?
Sorry ... haven't found anything.
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 02:32:01 am »

From Watchismo come photos of vintage watch crystal guards.

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 02:49:07 am »

That last one that the claim to be a WWI British Air Force watch is in reality a copy of a late model CWC (1970's UK issue military watch)
This is what they show..

and this is what it really is.. Definitely not of a style from the turn of teh century..

I've had a couple of CWCs, most military surplus, one ex-issue, great lttile watches, tough as nails..
Cheers
Harold

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: