The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 11:18:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Steampunk Computer Games Thread  (Read 109815 times)
SteamHunterUK
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #575 on: June 22, 2015, 01:52:51 pm »

Bloodborne is very hard. It's a sort of gothic/steampunk mix. I doubt I will get past the first boss fight any time soon  Sad

The Order 1886 is quite good. The SteamPunk is well done. The weapons are good, the devices are good and it includes Tesla as your sort of 'Q' department head.

It's fun to play, BUT it is not  hugely long of you're the sort of person who plays something once and never touches it again. I can see they put a LOT of hard work into the game and graphics they just failed a little on the longevity.

I'd estimate that most people would finish a 'run through' of the 1886 game in 10 hours or less. For that reason, I'd say they should wait for a sale. If you can pick it up for around £20/$30 it is worth a play.

If you just love the genre, buy it anyway.  Wink
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #576 on: July 09, 2015, 02:54:44 am »

Currently on Steam there's Lethis:Path of Progress, an old style Steampunk city building game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359230/

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
ewok_kebab
Deck Hand

« Reply #577 on: October 05, 2015, 03:06:23 pm »

I am surprised noone has mentioned the Van Helsing games and Deathtrap available on steam. Steampunk through and through and a wicked sense of humour to boot.

There is a new Around The World in 80 Days game on steam that hasa steampunk twist. Heartily recommended for the casual steampunk gamer

Be splendid to each other!
Lukes3D
Swab

« Reply #578 on: October 11, 2015, 02:23:46 am »

I am a indie developer that's creating a Steampunk Themed air combat game.

Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZe-qeaHJY

Visit the Facebook page for more info.

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Steam-Flyers-1456058104695442/timeline/
Twitter
https://twitter.com/SteamFlyers
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #579 on: October 13, 2015, 09:51:21 am »

Not strictly steampunk, but this is a game featuring some slightly retro elements (pre-WWII and WWII tanks) that I have made ever-so-slightly more steampunk.

World of tanks.

It so happens that my little volume XWidget is perfect for controlling the sound in World of Tanks. The game has the mouse-focus-stealing effect when you try to open any Windows desktop utilities that make it really quite difficult to control volume in-game using the standard Windows tools. If you don't have a volume control wheel on the side of your lappie or simply don't want to remove your twitching fingers from the AWD keys that control your tank then the volume widget is good for world of tanks players as it sits on top of the game and is unaffected by WoT's mouse/cursor-stealing.

I have introduced it to the WoT community on their forum and perhaps they will be a little more Steam next time they play.

You can see the thread here: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/467801-volume-control-for-world-of-tanks/page__fromsearch__1

They may not like it at all... who knows?

PS. There are bits of WoT that are a little steampunk. The medium MKI/II tanks was an inter-war design, (1920s) that although it falls outside the notional period that we might call steampunk, this tank is really rather steampunk in looks.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:59:09 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
ewok_kebab
Deck Hand

« Reply #580 on: February 25, 2016, 05:02:38 pm »

WoT, while I agree isn't really steampunk ,it is mst definitely worthy of an honourable mention.

I don't know if there are any Civilisation 5 players on here. Last night I stumbled across a steampunk scenario, I have no idea how long it has nestled on my computer without me noticing. I tried it out last night and it is really well done. Airship models, land based giant ironclads, different tech trees. Heartily recommended.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #581 on: February 25, 2016, 05:53:45 pm »

Hohoho! Tankzors discuss on the steampunk forum. The boys achieved success.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #582 on: April 24, 2016, 08:22:34 pm »

Came across this interesting looking RTS title linked on www.polycount.com (where I lurk like a lurking lurker).

Geistkrieg - A Shadow over Egypt A WWII ish (so admittedly more Diesel than Steam, but hells, it's not like we don't mingle) fantasy/sci-fi rts. Looks like it could be one to keep an eye on as it develops!

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #583 on: April 25, 2016, 09:45:00 am »

The games themselves are far from Steampunk, but the various dwemer areas of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim are pretty steamy.
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #584 on: June 23, 2016, 07:56:45 pm »

I've recently come across a game called Black Gold bg.snailgames.com. It's MMO about a world with two factions, natural magic and Steam Tech. I think it's still in beta. The world is beautiful and the characters are as well. Costumes, towns, buildings, vehicles, gorgeous. But the gameplay is fairly standard MMO "go here, kill, go here, kill, go here, kill". I have also yet to see an single other living soul while I'm in the game. I don't mind because it does just fine as a single player game.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
James Golba
Deck Hand

Gravatar

I have regain my muchness.

« Reply #585 on: July 01, 2016, 06:10:17 pm »

There is an indie game on the Xbox one called Teslagrad it is a steampunk-inspired vision of old Europe.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #586 on: August 07, 2016, 10:00:46 pm »

Found the game on steam.

Steam Squad is a tactical wargame, where the alternate universe of the times of the 1st World war, as if released from under the hand of Miyazaki, trying to divide: Britain, China and the Holy Roman Empire. The game puts before us the question, what if? What if China were able to colonize Siberia before Russia, in order to start a war for world supremacy - attack on Britain and Europe?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/290870/

http://steamsquad.net

W. S. Marble
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #587 on: August 08, 2016, 03:48:56 pm »

Intriguing.  Though one can imagine many alternate history scenarios, it is hard if not impossible to imagine one in which Russia is so marginalized. 
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #588 on: August 08, 2016, 05:31:13 pm »

Thanks for the good words. But ....

The Czechoslovak Legion who almost conquered Siberia in the 18th - 19th year. Numbered only 40 000 - 50 000 people.

Russia after the revolution was extremely weak and fragmented. The Russian fought with the Russians.

But other countries had their own problems after the great war.
W. S. Marble
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #589 on: August 09, 2016, 02:09:47 am »

I had no idea--thanks for that "reality Czech"!

Spacebo bolshoi  ; )
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #590 on: December 21, 2016, 12:22:07 pm »

Steampunk Syndicate

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651556655
https://itunes.apple.com/ru/app/steampunk-syndicate/id1179253455?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stereo7games.syndicate

Steampunk Syndicate is a unique tower defense with elements of collectible card games.

Steam Era has begun. The Great Revolution has been ending with the defeat of progressive rebel forces. There are only few heroes left. Syndicate is taking over the power and start terrorizing people.

In secrecy, far from civilization rebels have built The Defender - a giant steam robot. The last hope to cast off the tyranny. With the Defender rebels are coming back to fight and this time they are really ready.

The only problem is that the Syndicate found out the rebels' plans and desires to destroy the robot.
Your main goal is to protect it.

Steampunk Syndicate is tower defense game made in awesome steampunk setting. We created an ingenious game world with a lot of charismatic characters, steampunk weapons, towers and beautiful highly detailed levels such as the City, flying Battle Cruiser, Submarine and many more.

In Steampunk Syndicate you should destroy waves of enemies by building towers of different types. There are 4 types of towers in the game now: gatling gun, firethrower, bomber and electrobot. Moreover, the player will have an opportunity to control special units - heroes and use a number of special items and attacks.

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #591 on: January 09, 2017, 04:25:59 pm »

Although firmly in the Dieselpunk category, I'm going to give an honourable mention to upcoming video game Iron Harvest . It's set in an alternate 1920s, and is based on the board game Scythe by digital artist Jakub Rozalski.

http://iron-harvest.com/ .

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #592 on: January 09, 2017, 04:51:52 pm »

Although firmly in the Dieselpunk category, I'm going to give an honourable mention to upcoming video game Iron Harvest . It's set in an alternate 1920s, and is based on the board game Scythe by digital artist Jakub Rozalski.

http://iron-harvest.com/ .

The pictures are beautiful. The artist is good.

And the story in the game ... Oh, those poles.... I am glad that not only Russian in all are guilty, but the Germans will get.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #593 on: February 02, 2017, 03:19:24 pm »

Guns of Icarus Online
Hop aboard a steampunk airship with friends and play as Gunner, Engineer, or Pilot. Gun down dirigibles, repair your way out of danger, pilot the ship into combat. Are you a decisive Captain or dutiful Crew? Teamwork is required to survive the skies of the premier airship combat game: GUNS OF ICARUS ONLINE!

Raising the stakes on team-based PvP combat with an emphasis on strategic competition and truly cooperative play, Guns of Icarus Online is the best airship-to-airship combat game that’s all about teamwork, tactics, and fast-paced action. With a good ship and the right crew, you can conquer the skies!

http://musegames.com/games/
Dhraevin
Deck Hand

« Reply #594 on: February 18, 2017, 05:04:01 pm »

I am gathering info on the SteamPunk world. I have for years loved the SteamPunk look and looking to create SteamPunk games. So I am looking for any ideas that need to hold true to SteamPunk that I should not ever leave out.
Codie
Swab

« Reply #595 on: March 04, 2017, 01:32:21 pm »

i don't know if this has been mentioned yet because i'm not going to look through 10000 reply's but Assassins Creed Syndicate is a really steampunk game plus the fact that it's based in 1868 London, i suggest it, if you have a ps4 and/or xbox one and 50$ to spend on it, it's a good game, great graphics.
ViktorTheBoar
Swab

Croatia Croatia

ViktorTheBoar
« Reply #596 on: March 09, 2017, 08:52:47 pm »

We're three friends and we're just publishing a steampunk game based in southern Europe. Specifically, Austria-Hungary Smiley

Here's a trailer. See if you like it Smiley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNJPH4QHzE0

HugeMonkey5
Deck Hand

« Reply #597 on: April 17, 2017, 02:06:29 pm »

We're three friends and we're just publishing a steampunk game based in southern Europe. Specifically, Austria-Hungary Smiley

Here's a trailer. See if you like it Smiley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNJPH4QHzE0
It's a quest, isn't it?
Now I know what to present to my friend's birthday, he is a great fun of both steampunk and quest games.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #598 on: May 10, 2017, 02:47:39 pm »

Very soon, on May 12, in the early access Steam will be a hardcore RPG sandbox with elements of the Steam Hammer survival. This project is one of the few steampunk games that have been released recently and, possibly, the only steampunk MMO on the horizon. In the game you will see all the classics of the genre: Victorian architecture, cannons, jetpacks and even airships, on which you can fly in a group of friends, destroying enemies.

Until the last moment the release date was not known, but more recently developers have made fans of Steam Hammer happy. The mystical and mysterious era of steam engines will open its doors in a few days. You have to plunge into the alternative 19th century, explore and collect more than 40 types of weapons and armor, create your fleet of airships, participate in special missions and develop combat skills.

On the island of the archipelago Acribo has many secrets and during the exploration of this lost world you will meet as with other players who will not always be friendly, and with wild animals. Advanced crafting system will allow you to become not just a traveler, but also to establish your city, become a conqueror, and perhaps even a peaceful artisan. Uniting in the guild, players will become the strongest team and will be able to enjoy all the benefits of civilization much faster.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/530560/STEAM_HAMMER/

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #599 on: May 16, 2017, 10:02:30 am »

A lovely old game that I have mentioned before:

Colonial Conquest

The same game but a new-ish map based upon the Nieuw Standard Map modified to include a lot more states within the North American continent. England has a name change, various islands previously inaccessible are now alive, New Zealand &c. The majors are more focussed on specific areas of the globe to colonise.

The sea areas are now more 'antique' with some typical map decoration, visually the continents have more depth to them so they stand out. The map has a few bugs but it is playable. Do give it a try.

USA Enhanced - a new and working scenario!

The scenario is here:

http://bringerp.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=208

Before you can use it you have to install the older game here.

Old version (2012-07-18): CoCoNet-1.0.2-Setup.exe http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/Files/CoCoNet-1.0.2-Setup.exe

Then patch it here:

Latest version (2015-03-30): CoCoNet-1.2.0.7z http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/Files/CoCoNet-1.2.0.7z
When installed download and move the new map zipfile into the custom maps folder. Then just play a custom map and select "USA enhanced". Hope you get the game working, hope you manage to get my scenario working, have fun and enjoy a bit or 1985 retro gaming at its finest.

-oOo-

A while back (1985) I used to play a rather good game on a friend's Atari ST by the name of Colonial Conquest. The game was an enhancement of that old classic board game Risk with more complicated maps and an efficient and ruthless AI. The game was multiplayer so your friends could join in and it was quick and fun to play. I loved playing it. Many years passed, I grew up and computers moved onward and upward, compatibility wasn't the norm and so all those old games that used to give us so much pleasure became unwanted and obsolete. That was until 'puters became powerful enough to emulate older machines reliably and quickly in software, then the emulators had a chance to finally be useful. That meant that we have a wealth of old games available for us to play but the price of emulation can be heavy, resource intensive on the host, having to dive into a clunky and hard-to-use interface that can revive the experience in a way that could tend to put you off.

Another approach is to rewrite the game so it runs natively on the newer machine. The temptation then is to re-write the game, update the graphics and gameplay and release a brand new game to a newer audience with higher expections just retaining the original game name but nothing else. Why would you do it any other way if you want to make money?

Well, sometimes, someone comes along that isn't trying to sell us a brand new game at inflated prices but instead just wants to build the exact same old game, same old gameplay, same old obsolete graphics just for the sheer hell of it.

One such chap goes by the name of Kroah and he built a completely reverse-engineered version of Colonial Conquest for Windows. He did this because he had an itch that had to be scratched and so he built it without any of the original source code, re-implemented the original slightly clunky graphics and obsolete interface and recreated a game with the same look and feel - and the same gameplay as the original from 1985. The good thing was that this happened to be my favourite game of all time. Kroah named the new native PC version Coconet as it was Colonial Conquest for network play. The AI is enhanced, it allows you to play a choice of AI versions but the fundamental game is the same as it ever was.  Other games come and go, Rome Total War, World of tanks to name a few but every now and then I still feel the need to play a good game of Colonial Conquest. I just feel the need, no more explanation required... That might be the same itch that Kroah had all that time ago.

OK, I didn't have much of a hand in creating the game, though I helped Kroah along the way by giving him moral support on the forums - but I did create one scenario for the game, a fully featured and enhanced map extending the number of territories in the USA and Canada. This map alters the gameplay quite considerably giving the US a great advantage and the enhanced possibility of winning the game when played by either the AI or a human player.

I based my map on an already extant version called "nieuw standard" by a player known as Christine. She did all the legwork, I just added to it. Don't underestimate the work involved in customising a Coconet map, there is lots of XML to be mucked around with and the use of an overly complex and buggy scenario editor that can drive you mad!

Nevertheless, it works and is playable.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:49:03 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: