The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 09:26:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Steampunk Computer Games Thread  (Read 109038 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #525 on: October 30, 2013, 08:23:15 am »

Sooo...is anyone playing this then? I tried the first one and just couldn't get on with it. Although I understand there have been improvements to the series, I've really never wanted to play an Assassins Creed game until now. On the surface I think this looks fantastic, but I'm just wondering if anyone is actually giving it a go yet?

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Review

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
FenrisWolf
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #526 on: October 30, 2013, 11:26:46 am »

I've got the first one, really enjoyed it and was blown away by the graphics. But not played the others in the series, mainly due to lack of funds and time.

The new one though... looks very tempting. Could very well effect my Uni work  Wink

Fenris Wolf
Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
www.fenrisoswin.com 
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord

Re:
« Reply #527 on: October 30, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »

Bleh, i was a huge fan of the old series.... I had 1 through 7, but three was just boring. I couldn't get past the first third, so I'm not bothering with 4 :/

If it does turn out to be worth while I may have another look.....
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #528 on: October 31, 2013, 12:28:31 am »

Aharr, well that likely scuppers that then me hearties!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/29/online-pass-required-for-some-assassin-s-creed-iv-single_2d00_player-content.aspx

It seems innocuous enough...this time. But no matter how baby the steps, as an unsociable old git and confirmed offline single player gamer, I simply will not support any company that is essentially attempting to force us online (even if that ends up being all of them).

It still hasn't been absolutely confirmed, but if it's true, I'm afraid you just lost yourself a customer Ubisoft.
Lucius Voltaic
Snr. Officer
United States United States

I need a cup of the brown stuff, shade of an acorn

LuciusVoltaic
« Reply #529 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:55 pm »

Huh, this thread's still here. What do you know?

"The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations."
--General Baron Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #530 on: January 06, 2014, 02:40:30 am »

PS4 game, The Order of 1886 looks very steampunky.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #531 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:48 pm »

I'm playing through the Thief series after buying them off steam, starting with Thief Gold. I'd say the first one is at least vaguely steampunk, haven't seen the others yet.

I was hesitant to buy these at first, since they're relatively old (Thief gold came out in 1999 IIRC.)

I'm very happy I did. The graphics are dated. Badly. But ignore that, the gameplay mechanics are stunningly well done and surprisingly intuitive.

I did have to remap all of the control keys into a more usable configuration, but so far this hasn't caused any bugs. (Can't say the same of skyrim Roll Eyes.)

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #532 on: January 23, 2014, 09:30:28 pm »

The new Thief is coming out soon, along with Order of 1886 and another steamy game I cannot remember offhand. Both are PS4 exclusive I believe.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #533 on: January 24, 2014, 01:19:25 pm »

The new Thief is coming out soon, along with Order of 1886 and another steamy game I cannot remember offhand. Both are PS4 exclusive I believe.

Is The Order coming out soon? I figured it would be at least another year. I'm kinda hoping so because I'm going to be hankering badly for a PS4 when it does, but I'm also hoping there are going to be a few more interesting games available by then. I can't really justify the expense for just one, and frankly the launch line ups for both PS4 and Xbone are boring me rigid so far.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #534 on: January 24, 2014, 01:37:21 pm »

I thought it was coming out soon, I will reread the article when I find it again.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #535 on: February 06, 2014, 06:42:10 pm »

Well It's official, The Order 1886 is delayed until next year. I honestly wasn't expecting it before then anyway so not too disappointed personally. What is not delayed however (at least not yet) is the only game I'm genuinely stoked for so far this year. The last one was superb IMHO, if you haven't played it I highly recommend it, and this one looks like it's going to be equally spectacular. Slated for release on Feb 25th in the States and 28th in the UK.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - Exclusive Debut Trailer
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #536 on: February 06, 2014, 06:48:43 pm »

You can get Dracula's Armor if you Pre order from GameStop.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #537 on: February 06, 2014, 07:01:42 pm »

Intriguingly Game have the same exclusive offer over here, does this mean they are in fact the same company?
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #538 on: February 06, 2014, 07:02:55 pm »

Or the Company wanted to get Pre-orders across the pond. Each game I have seen has at least 2 separate deals for exclusives, regarding console or store.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #539 on: February 18, 2014, 03:14:54 pm »

Right, pre order for Castlevania is in, I don't often do that.

And finally, some actual gameplay from The Order 1886, looking damned impressive so far I must say.

Dailymotion - Watch, publish, share videos

Torcwrench
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #540 on: May 03, 2014, 01:18:05 pm »

Hello everyone.  Catching up rather belatedly on this thread my daughter has a few suggestions relating to games (some will already be listed).  Over to you Prof. Edith Copperkettle (her new provisional Steampunk name):

Greetings. Here is my current list of the one's I could think of (Bioshock excluded, since it has already been mentioned), some will just be games with interesting Steampunk aspects.

. Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2)
. My father mentions Timesplitters 2 since some of its levels are set in that era (e.g. the Notre Dame level) and you can play as Steampunk-style characters on the multiplayer and create your own maps.
. The dwemer ruins in Skyrim are worth a look.
. And on an extra note, you can dress up your character in Steampunk attire in Saints Row 3 & 4.
Koenig
Officer

« Reply #541 on: May 04, 2014, 05:38:13 am »

Xenoblade has a lot of steampunk-esc enemies in the form of the Mechon, the mechanical lifeforms of the game.

For those interested, Xenoblade is a game about the clash between the biologic lifeforms of one world with mechanical beings of the other.  Did I mention both of the worlds are actually Giant Titans?
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #542 on: May 04, 2014, 06:44:39 am »

Prof Elemental is obviously a fan of this game.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted: v1.0 Release Trailer

Sir, You Are Being Hunted - Professor Elemental - Dir: Moog
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Poet and amateur retrophrenologist

« Reply #543 on: May 17, 2014, 01:45:51 pm »

APologies if this has already been posted here (I usually only use teh Geographical forums), but in the last few days there has been a Steampunk mod for Kerbal Space Program.  Not only rocket parts so that one can build Vernian/Wellsian spaceships, but even airships with cannon, too, and Steampunked Kerbals and spacesuits!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74625-0-23-5-Professor-Phineas-Kerbenstein-s-Wonderous-Vertical-Propulsion-Emporium-0-16a
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #544 on: May 28, 2014, 08:46:53 pm »

Final Fantasy VII was the beginnings of my love for steampunk styling. I know it's not a true steampunk due to fantasy elements and maybe it classifies as more dieselpunk... but I mean just look at these pictures...

As if this isn't sci-fi steamworld...

This is someone making a nicer rendered version of the train in FFVII

And of course the airship... who could forget the airship
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070403180721/finalfantasy/images/7/78/Wall_VII_04.jpg

Many of the characters also sport a steampunk type look...  though it's not traditional Victorian steampunk by any means. Cheesy
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #545 on: May 29, 2014, 03:54:16 am »

Free to play and quite a gory trailer, still might be worth a look when it finally releases.

BattleCry announce trailer - Eurogamer
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #546 on: May 30, 2014, 11:50:17 pm »

The Order: 1886 -- Narration and Revolution

I'm actually getting a tad concerned for this game. I hear there might be a demo shown at E3, but as they tend to work hard to show the very best versions they can there, I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt even if it does run smoothly.

What I'm referring to is the rather annoying tactic of "bait and switch" which has certainly been a favourite of the gaming industry for quite a while.

It's becoming increasingly evident that these "next gen" consoles, are not powerful enough to deliver this kind of graphical fidelity along with higher resolution and frame rates without compromising in other areas. Ready At Dawn have already stated the Order will run at 30fps to deliver a more "cinematic experience. Although there is talk of 1080p, in actual fact there are black bars top and bottom so in reality it'll be more like 900p.

Fair enough, those familiar with the game Ryse Son Of Rome, may know that was the case there as well, and I still think other than this, Ryse is the most next gen looking game I've seen so far and it seemed to be a stable build as well. Unfortunately it's also not very long.

PS4 seems to have a slight edge over Xbox One in the power department presently, despite MS bending over backwards to promise parity through DX12 optimization and the magical power of the cloud (and that extra little biddy percent of power that may now be afforded to devs after the forced amputation of Kinect).

Unfortunately Sony are now seeing that as their ace in the hole, and seem to be pushing devs to try and deliver a higher resolution and framerate than their rivals on both exclusive and multiplatform titles. Sadly this is often coming at the cost of stability and graphical fidelity, as in reality the power difference between the two consoles is nebulous at best. If the downgrades afforded to recent titles such as Watchdogs compared to it's original reveal are anything to go by. Unless like Ryse it turns out to be a comparatively short campaign (which with no multiplyer planned would be highly inadvisable) despite being an exclusive, and so one would assume optimised for PS4, the chances of The Order actually looking like this by release may be slim.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #547 on: June 03, 2014, 03:54:57 pm »

C'mon guys say something, triple posts are a bit much even by my standards. Still ahem, any one else get the impression there might be a slightly familiar theme going on in games right now?

Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age Announcement Trailer
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #548 on: June 07, 2014, 05:01:39 am »

I was a big fan of Left 4 Dead back in the day. If its anything like that, then I'm in.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Koenig
Officer

« Reply #549 on: June 12, 2014, 10:47:18 pm »

Nintendo announced a Steampunk styled game at E3 as well, though its aesthetic design choice is modeled after the silver age comics.

"Code name S.T.E.A.M"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/12/e3-2014-nintendo-reveals-code-name-steam-for-3ds?abthid=539a100b2abe940a7f000004
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: