The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:40:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Steampunk Computer Games Thread  (Read 111157 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #400 on: June 06, 2011, 02:08:54 am »

It's a shame, I picked up Resonance Of Fate recently as I was intrigued by the description of the Steampunk style alt world that it's set in. From what little I saw of it it looked quite cool in a randomly applied cogs sort of way. But sadly I cannot get on with those rpg style combat mechanics so I returned it. I do put up with them occasionally for the Final Fantasy stuff but that's a special case.

Games I've most enjoyed recently were Enslaved which is (very) loosly inspired by the the Chinese legend of Monkey. Wolfenstein which quite pleasantly suprised me and Bulletstorm which has been accurately described as a less intelligent Gears Of War (no mean feat if you think about it haha) The ridiculous overblown macho dialogue had me chuckling all the way through.

I found the Enslaved game mechanics a little clunky (no one seems to have got the hang of the Unreal engine quite as well as the GOW devs) but it looks beautiful and definately has elements which will appeal to the mechanically minded, and features an excellently Steampunked Pigsy. Wolfenstein looks pretty classy too and is just a great Dieselpunk style retrofuturistic/fantasy FPS. You end up on an massivly oversized Zeppelin near the end and many of the cyber augmented Nazi soldiers are brilliant.

Anyway, just shooting the breeze, happy gaming y'all  Wink
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:23:47 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Gunner Gregson
Snr. Officer
England England

Hired Gun, Gunsmith

« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »

A little info.
Game of Thrones (i know some people on these forums like it), is coming out as a game. The game is titled Game of Thrones Genesis, Doesnt look all that great to be honest, could be down to the bad trailer though.

One game that is still holding my interest though is, Bioshock Infinite. Its looking to be the next big up and comer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Be warned it is narrated by the Yogscast. I like them but others may not.

Ananias S. Wildwire
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:32:25 pm by Gunner Gregson » Logged

Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.
nicki_zero
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #402 on: June 27, 2011, 05:10:43 pm »

There's a newish game out called Gatling Gears that looks a bit Steampunkesque. It's a top down shoot'em up like some of the greats from the 80's.
Hope this isn't a re-post.

http://mistbound.com/index.php?id=3

N_Z.
kiwiibebe
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #403 on: July 03, 2011, 07:03:09 am »

bioshocj is indeed a fantastic game! i am looking forward to buying bioshock 2

"India India India INDIA!"
" what is so incredibly important that you would INTURUPT, of all things, Jules Verne?"
" enough with the reading! the-"
" BOOM!"
"well, that was about to happen..."
Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #404 on: July 04, 2011, 06:22:06 am »

Bishkek is indeed a fantastic game! i am looking forward to buying bioshock 2

I think You would also like, and everyone else too - Bioshock Infinite, didn't notice if it was mentioned but it is a Steampunk game taking place in 1910's on a floating city of Columbia, hovering sky high and people move around using "rails" and hooking up to them, jumping from one to another. It is fairly popular by now, the info about this game I mean so I suppose some of you have heard of it. The game aesthetics is pretty much American patriotic themed in the ways of parody/grotesque from what I understand. The game looks and certainly will feel amazing, I can link to some "moving pictures" of this game, they are on youtube. In any case, it should be released soon.

C.C.
elShoggotho
« Reply #405 on: July 05, 2011, 07:15:25 pm »

There's a newish game out called Gatling Gears that looks a bit Steampunkesque. It's a top down shoot'em up like some of the greats from the 80's.
Hope this isn't a re-post.

http://mistbound.com/index.php?id=3

N_Z.

You should also look at Greed Corp, the predecessor set in the same world. Turn based strategy with a really great steampunk feel.
Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #406 on: July 06, 2011, 11:14:20 am »

Also if anyone is interested in "older games" check out good old games site or simply http://www.gog.com/ there are many titles included for fairly reasonable prices 6-10$ as also discounts like on Steam. Arcanum is available for download, and as I noticed adventure games with somewhat Steampunk theme.

Also I would like to point out Lionheart:Legacy of Crusader by Black Isle studios, I bought it on release and in contradiction to its reviews I think the game is quite good. Includes some steampunk themes too (like Leonardo Da Vinci workshop with  his devices, flying machine etc. i I remember correctly) above that magic, different races and some similarity to Fallout mechanics.
Gunner Gregson
Snr. Officer
England England

Hired Gun, Gunsmith

« Reply #407 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:37 pm »

Also I would like to point out Lionheart:Legacy of Crusader by Black Isle studios, I bought it on release and in contradiction to its reviews I think the game is quite good. Includes some steampunk themes too (like Leonardo Da Vinci workshop with  his devices, flying machine etc. i I remember correctly) above that magic, different races and some similarity to Fallout mechanics.

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader, I looked at this game a few years back but assumed it was Medieval and brushed right over it.
Published by Black Isle Studios, Who originally developed Fallout and Fallout 2. I love both these titles and that is what originally drew me to Lionheart:LotC.

Ananias S. Wildwire
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #408 on: July 10, 2011, 03:08:50 am »

Anyone score any goodies at the weekend Steam sale?

I picked up both Bioshock 2 and Torchlight for less than $10!

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #409 on: July 12, 2011, 10:53:52 pm »

I landed "Magicka: Vietnam."

Not *exactly* steampunk, but it's swords and sorcery with M16A1s, AK-47s, and RPGs!  To me, it's got the SPIRIT of steampunk, and doggonit, that's good enough!

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Tardis_42
Deck Hand

« Reply #410 on: July 13, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »

There is an online game called Steampunk on Armor Games.

Tardis_42

------------------------------
funnyphotosandthings.wordpress.com
SteamandBrass
Deck Hand

Steam & Brass

« Reply #411 on: July 20, 2011, 07:18:17 am »

Bioshock Infinite is Steampunk, but not exactly a victorian era, early 20th century 1912.

Who's up for a game of Quarts, Parchment, Clippers?
Puck
Gunner

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« Reply #412 on: July 21, 2011, 09:59:22 pm »

Bioshock Infinite is Steampunk, but not exactly a victorian era, early 20th century 1912.
That's two years after the Edwardian era. I'd say it's close enough.

Besides, it's in a completely alternate timeline from our own, it's entirely possible that in Bioshock Infinite Victoria is still Queen. Smiley

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
~ Oscar Wilde
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #413 on: July 22, 2011, 12:22:16 am »

Ah I love this question. So when does your Sp timeline run up until? Mine runs right up to 1920 when Steam and Diesel were still running side by side (and continued to do so), but things were definitely changing fast.
Puck
Gunner

« Reply #414 on: July 22, 2011, 04:48:29 am »

Ah I love this question. So when does your Sp timeline run up until? Mine runs right up to 1920 when Steam and Diesel were still running side by side (and continued to do so), but things were definitely changing fast.
Hehe, yeah, honestly I count anything before 1920 as Steampunk, even though it's technically not Victorian.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #415 on: July 22, 2011, 06:57:09 am »

Re: Arcanum

Gnome grenadier with mutton chops.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Gunner Gregson
Snr. Officer
England England

Hired Gun, Gunsmith

« Reply #416 on: July 22, 2011, 05:23:08 pm »

Not worthy of it's own thread.

Team Fortress 2 is now free to play. Yes, you can play this great fun game for absolutely nothing. No I'm not mental, well maybe a little. This game to acquire and play costs absolutely, nothing.
Anyway onto the steampunk part. There is a Dr Grordborts tab, Found within the Mann Co. Shop. It only offers 4 items, one of which is The Cow Mangler 5000, And a rather spiffing hat. This is where they make there money, You purchase the items for RL money. Don't be put off though as you can still acquire the weapons without spending money. My first unlock was luckily a twin barreled grenade launcher.

Well there we have it Dr. Grordbort is expanding into games. Hopefully this will continue.

Ananias S. Wildwire
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #417 on: July 27, 2011, 11:20:09 am »

Just noticed that Cogs (a fun little Steampunk-ish game previously mentioned here) is part of the Humble Bundle #3 - http://www.humblebundle.com - for those who like a little charity with their puzzle-gaming...

Some are born strange, some attain strangeness, and some have strangeness thrust upon them.
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #418 on: July 27, 2011, 02:27:07 pm »

Just noticed that Cogs (a fun little Steampunk-ish game previously mentioned here) is part of the Humble Bundle #3 - http://www.humblebundle.com - for those who like a little charity with their puzzle-gaming...

I would so dearly love to play cogs, but the last thing I need in this world is a game where I would spend even more hours on my duff in front of the computer.
 (the ability to take some things in moderation is quite beyond my grasp)

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
jennibell
Deck Hand

« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2011, 05:25:31 pm »

That's two years after the Edwardian era. I'd say it's close enough.

Besides, it's in a completely alternate timeline from our own, it's entirely possible that in Bioshock Infinite Victoria is still Queen. Smiley

Has anyone played this? Is it any good?
Puck
Gunner

« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2011, 06:41:15 pm »

Has anyone played this? Is it any good?
It's not out yet, unfortunately.
Septimus Holrych
Gunner

Intrepid Explorer

« Reply #421 on: July 27, 2011, 09:04:33 pm »

Has anyone heard of/played this before?

Naval Warfare

There isnt a demo but the artwork and gameplay look kind of fun.

EDIT - A couple of days after i post, and it was on sale through steam so I thought I'd give it a go. It's a very rough console port of an arcade style shooty game but it plays fine. The artwork is okay, but the voice acting is flimsy enough to get on my nerves. I wouldn't recommend paying more than a couple of quid for it the next time its on sale through steam.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:44:52 pm by Septimus Holrych » Logged

How doth the little crocodile
Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
On every golden scale
zupanic
Deck Hand
Slovakia Slovakia

« Reply #422 on: August 04, 2011, 01:46:23 pm »

hm...My favorite computer game ever is Arcanum of steamworks and magick obscura...
I think Arcanum has the best plot (can I use this word for game?Cheesy) and amazing characters (especially Virgil, Geoffrey Tarellond - Ashe or Magnus). There is everything you want...so many possibilities...I just love that game:D and Im going to play it again:D mabye for evil:D

Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #423 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:41 am »

Hey, back again, miss me? :p

Yeah ok, so I am working currently on a AAA quality game title and it sucks out the most of me, really. Drop me a line if you'd like to know anything more about it but its kind of like Shadowrun game, only this time BETTER MEANER FASTER HARDER BETTER COCKIER and of course OCCULT. I assembled a team, but I do need managers as my brain expired free months ago in a most inpecable way of melting the core and sliping out of slipstream madness juvenalia... ok since I got you confused as I wanted, the game is basicaly a retro 50s-80s post apo, arcanepunk+cyberpunk revolving over themes close to Fallouts. If anyone interested in helping, aiding, joining please please, send me an email to groovehound@hotmail.com or krzysztof-krzyzanowski@hotmail.com, open for suggestions Smiley

At their Kindest

CC
Humbolt
Gunner

« Reply #424 on: August 29, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »

So, Torchlight 2, the sequal to the indie-awesome Steampunk Dungeon Crawler, has now completed the list of classes at four and established a price: $20. Not too bad for an awesome game. It's gonna have full LAN support as well as online multiplayer. The four classes we're looking at are:

Outlander: Generic ranged attack support
Berzerker: Our beefy tank class
Engineer: A Hybrid tank class, soldiers wearing mechanized steam armor.
Embermage: The magic class. Natch.

I'm pretty excited about this.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: