The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 10:14:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sakura Taisen  (Read 974 times)
Crow
Gunner

« on: April 09, 2007, 07:24:18 am »

I'm suprized that no-one has mentioned Sakura Taisen (Sakura Wars) yet. it's very steampunk what with steam powered robots at that it takes place in the 1920's or so.

I'd like to describe it in detail, but I can't tell where I am in it since Sakura Wars started as a series of games that spawned an anime, manga, and several OVA's (so the dvd's I have may be the anime or the OVA, I can't tell)
http://www.geocities.com/soho/9094/STEAM31.html, <-they do a good job of describing the series a bit, to quote another page on the site:
"Like many Steampunk stories on this side of the Pacific, Steampunk anime and manga often delves into this real history to create an alternate history, here owing equally to Jules Verne and the samurai. One of the foremost of these stories is Sakura Wars. Taking place during an alternate Taisho era, the earth is just recovering from the first Demon War, a horror which humanity barely won. All is not well however... Demon hordes are on the move again, but this time we're ready for them! Japan is the leading manufacturer of steam technology and Kanzaki Heavy Industries is developing it's most advanced military hardware yet. There's the bullet train Gouraigo and the zeppelin Shougeimaru ("Flying Whale"), but the centerpiece is the Oubu: robot battle suits driven by steam and spiritual energy. Unfortunately, the suits require so much power that only a limited number of people in the world can possibly operate them, and all but one just happen to be girls! After gathering together the team, they are christened the Imperial Floral Assault Unit and sent on to combat the evil sweeping over the land of the rising sun!

Originally, Sakura Wars began as a strategy role-playing game for the Sega Saturn video game system. In it, you play Oogami, the young male leader of the Imperial Floral Assault Unit. How well the Flower Division (as they're also called) fights depends on their morale, which in turn depends on how well you as the man interact with them as women. In other words, it's a combat dating game. In fact, Sakura Wars' phenomenal success in Japan came from it's ability to inventively integrate the two popular gaming genres of dating simulations and role-playing strategy. Of course, the very existence of dating simulation games is another one of those strange, absurdist things about Japanese culture - along with Iron Chef and "engrish"- which makes it so endearing. The game never made it across the pond, but the animes are available. "

"And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
- The Wasteland,T.S. Eliot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: