The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 05:59:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy non-firearm weaponry  (Read 60365 times)
CrackitusPotts
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 05:19:04 am »

I believe this to be a great topic!
Been thinking about this myself, for a while.
I like the idea of "non-lethal weapons" personally , that is kinda my characters eccentric ideals.
Been working on:
-Net Gun
-Harpoon cannon
(these mostly used for trapping)
-would like to add a collapsible cattle prod like electric shock type walking stick
( can easily make one from an old disposable camera flash. . .the shock part, not the collapsing stick)
. . .these things will be working prop pieces that shoot out a net and a harpoon that can be reeled back in. . .hopefully.

Then large foam and safe fighting weapons are:

A wrench
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
closeup:

A friend and my large Mallet:

hope ya like!
cheers

kingkewl
Snr. Officer

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 05:46:03 am »

A nice BIG wrench or hammer comes to mind.. Grin...<P>
OOOPS..looking..back..I..can..see..I..should..have..read..ALL..the..post..lol Cool
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:42:07 am by kingkewl » Logged

Circumcision ? ... What, did God get it wrong?
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 09:21:26 pm »

...a nice heavy mace. Use halfs of large cogwheels in the head of the mace if that's your thing.. Cheesy

Laird Dave Hawker
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2008, 09:24:48 pm »

Wouldn't that just cauterize the wound and stop them bleeding?

That was a popular form of torture many moons ago. Obviously popular with torterures as oppose to the people recieving said wounds.
Captain_Minty_Gearhertz
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I can fly anything... Just watch me!

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2008, 09:54:55 pm »

Big heavy boots and a good pair of gloves, unarmed combat.

The music is reversable, but time...is not.
modelmanjohn
Snr. Officer

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 02:34:31 am »

A friend and my large Mallet:

hope ya like!
cheers

It's always a good idea to have a good wench on hand.

I mean, wrench.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Mr. Fenn
Snr. Officer

Airship Mechanic and Gremlin Exterminator

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 08:07:45 am »

I was thinking of making a giant wrench/spanner, but not the pipe-wrench adjustable kind that was pictured. I saw that one at Comic Con, and while mightily awesome it was, that kind of complicated construction is a tad beyond my abilities and/or finances.

<My Webcomic
Johannes Ghee
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Reluctant slave to the bean.

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 01:55:05 pm »

As loathe as I am to go stealing ideas from Simpson's episodes I can't shake the notion of a steam-powered automatic hammer.  I mean something like a wooden handle with a small puttering steam engine attached to one end, the steam travelling via a pipe running through the core of the handle, to a valve and hinge system at the top of the shaft. The head of the hammer (a great wooden and stone thing riveted together with bands of thick iron) is attached to the hinge, so when you turn it on it (eventually) starts rocking back and forth very fast. Hammering without the actual hammering, you see, and a fairly impressive weapon to boot. For that matter any melee weapon could be turned into an automatic bludgeoner in such a manner.

As a prop weapon I don't think it would be very hard to build. A solid handle would be required, with a small electric motor or wound elastic bands to provide the movement. The hammer head itself could be sculpted out of foam...

Chugga-chugga-chugga... BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM  Tongue

"Don't forget to use a reasonable amount of caution should your hobby be one that is dangerous. Your wife doesnt want you to be 'funky' but she has a right to expect you not to take undue risk in your auto car, bicycle or flying machine."
'Dont's' For Husbands 1913.
"Menace him, you idiot!"
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 03:21:37 pm »

As loathe as I am to go stealing ideas from Simpson's episodes...
Take heart, there is compelling evidence that it has become nearly impossible not to resemble something from a Simpson's episode.

- Maximilian
femonky
Officer

Les hommes de science! Les hommes de l'espoir!

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 03:43:44 pm »

As not to insult its many fans, I'll simply say that the sword cane is "not my style". Smiley

However, the more an oversized wrench/spanner is suggested the more I like the idea.  I could make a giant foam one easily.

I need to think outside the box a bit more.  Perhaps a steam valve at the end of a prosthetic arm that can release a blast of hot steam as needed.  Borrow some imagery from Iron Man's repulsors.
I was about to suggest that!
A google search on Boffer Weapons will give you hits on stores and howto's.
I think I want to incorporate a huge spanner wrench into my ensemble. thanks for the idea!

Brig. Daedalus Collins
North Columbian Expeditionary Force
103rd Div. Royal Aerines
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 04:31:40 pm »

Oh, I have nearly two decades experience with boffer weapons and their use.
I giant foam toolset is on the to-do list. Cheesy
Wraith5
Officer

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 04:33:59 pm »

I've always been a fan of this concept sketch of this steampunk 'power fist' melee weapon found on Deviantart:

Source: http://legato895.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Arm-mounted-Weapon-6300392

spcglider
Officer

Fifty characters isn't enough to write my message!

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:17 pm »

I've always been a fan of this concept sketch of this steampunk 'power fist' melee weapon found on Deviantart:

Source: http://legato895.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Arm-mounted-Weapon-6300392

Reminds me of Acroyear II's arms from the old Micronaut toy line by MEGO.

Cool tho.

-Gordon

Professor Gordon Elias Weatherbee, Tinker and Time Travel Machine Repair. All models serviced.
Marrock
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 12:12:16 am »

My tastes lean more in this direction...

Sir Lyle von Infiri
Gunner

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 12:27:55 am »

I'd consider a gun that shots a chainsaw as a firearm. On another note I am wondering if I could build a real one... Anyone got a rocket?
Master Murdoch
Deck Hand

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2008, 12:29:28 am »

I know that you said th sword cane wasnt your style but maybe this could be as you dont neccisarily need an ornate cane.

The walking stick method of self defence, writen by a Indian policmen, from the times when we had territorys out there.
http://www.the-exiles.org/manual/lang/lang.htm

Carpe sophia
PhD. Strange
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2008, 03:14:42 am »

How 'bout a steam powered dowel launcher?  Sounds weird, but think about a box on your forearm hooked to a supply, with a stack (clip) of brass tipped dowels or other long wood pieces.  You could have some with "explosive" tips or "Acid jars" to launch...the skys the limit.  I don't think this is to much of a gun as to offend you, but I might be wrong.

I guess this is sort of a steam powered RPG... but if you "steam" it up it would'nt look so mean.

PhD ...or steam powered brass knuckles
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2008, 08:29:40 am »

Good sir Strange, that sounds exactly like the Painkiller Stakegun, viewable here. Quite easy to Steam, I would say. As it is there, it is pretty much already Steampunk.

Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral

You cannot mesmerize me...I'm British!

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2008, 01:24:50 pm »

I was walking along Oxford station this morning and a couple of workmen were checking the rails.  Once of them had a spanner about three feet long with the head being as big as my fist, the other end had a claw type thing, equally massive.

"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk
Marrock
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2008, 02:47:51 pm »

The claw type thing was probably a spike puller, my father made one for the local steam train ride way back when.
Dark Joker
Gunner

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2008, 01:57:09 am »

What about an axe? 

Sort of like this but more "steamy"

Beef up the handle, add some brass, gears, maybe a Kraken thrown in for good measure.

Could swap a metal blade and an "aether" blade. 

Built similar to the Halo Plasma sword:
http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/sean_bradley_energy_sword/

Marrock
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2008, 02:17:15 am »

Ok, since my favorite rocket-propelled chainsaw was shot down, so to speak, I'd then have to go with something like this...

dr490nw4rri0r
Officer
Canada Canada

Are we evolving? No. We're starting to learn again

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2008, 03:37:07 am »

If you'd like to steampunk swords and axes, I'd recommend looking at the "Dwarven" weapons from Elder scrolls, specifically the latest, Oblivion.

Dwarven items are basically dissassembled Dwarven brass machinery put back together wrong. I rather like the Dwarven Warhammer, War Axe, and Longsword specifically.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A.G.Morgan
Snr. Officer

Mechanocycle rider of Indian Territory

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2008, 03:59:58 am »

Ok, since my favorite rocket-propelled chainsaw was shot down, so to speak, I'd then have to go with something like this...

The whiteboard kicks ass.

I just found out today that tractor and farm equipment supply stores may carry huge wrenches and pliers. Saw a 27 inch pipe wrench and a socket wrench that was almost two feet long at a Tractor Supply Co!

Get off the tracks! Here comes the train o' thought!
The_Naysayer
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 04:12:43 am »

Speaking of Tractor supply co.  I always admire their selection of large springs.

Speaking of large springs, I'd like to devise a device implementing the use of springs.

Speaking of a device implementing springs, what sort of weapon would lend itself to the use of a spring loaded mechanism?

I'm thinking re-engineered crossbow-like firearms, y'know, shaft chuckers, of course, but a mechanized melee weapon using springs to amplify swing and force somehow would be very neat.  Also, very do-able, however unwieldy or slightly unpredictable.

Ooh, I was just thinking about a bear trap.  Think of a sword, with a switch located right mid-blade, which, on blade's contact, would cause two hinged implements to swing forth and effectively *bite* the opponent.  Probably ridiculously ill-balanced, and requires "re-loading" between every successful bite, rendering it practically useless as a combat weapon.

Devastating!

Also, really, just a sword welded to a bear-trap.

Also, hardly steampunk.

But springs! think of the possibilities!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: