The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 10:48:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Casio G-Shock For The Steampunk Fans" rather misses the point  (Read 5623 times)
Taliesin
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 09:28:53 pm »

I believe they already have a well established genre for that watch.

If I remember correctly, it's called "Crap".
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 01:28:49 am »

Let's see'm move dammit!

-Kit

Save for the balance wheel, you really don't see much movement in a watch.. About the only wheel that has any apparent motion to it is the fourth wheel, which has a rate of 1RPM.
The reason for a display back or transparent dial was to show of the finishing and decoration (damscening, cotes de geneve, chatons, etc) of the movement. If you want to see something interesting in motion in a watch, then a tourbillon is what you want..
 G-shocks have a place, and that place is in the realm of really rugged watches for outdoor sports. They show up in the military, along with Timex Ironman models as well..

My favorite visible movement watches are vintage Accutron Spaceviews.. technically a very interesting electro-mechanical movement, in that the going train is driven by tuning forks..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 05:50:37 pm »

For anyone who didn't like the Casio (and that would be me too), then I invite you to see a potentially far greater sacrilege - my all electronic /all-in-one pocket watch device over in Tactile.  I'm tough, I can take it {begins sobbing like a schoolgirl....}.  markf
http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=11226.0

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: