The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:51:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arkham Horror Board Game (Lovecraft-related)  (Read 1476 times)
rollerboi
Officer

Subaquatic Alchemical Inquisitor

« on: April 04, 2007, 04:56:32 am »

Have any of you fine folk had the opportunity to play the Call of Cthulhu boardgame "The Arkham Horror", put out by Fantasy Flight Games? (I'm not affiliated with the company, but here's the link: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/arkhamhorror.html)

I have a group of guys I get together with almost every month to play another game put out by FFG (Descent, Well of Darkness) and though the game takes a very long time (3+ hours), it's a blast.

Those who can compare, what do you think? Or who've played Arkham before? I am enthralled, whenever I pick up the box at the store. The only thing holding me back is the price tag on the darn thing.. *chuckle*.

That, and not having many folk around to play with.

"Release the penguins."
Mazrim260
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 03:27:49 pm »

I have never played Arkham Horror though I have played (and own) Elder Sign made by the same people.  The games feature very similar concepts and are both Lovecraft mythos.  Both games are playable alone or with groups and both are heavily rigged in favor of the players losing. 

If you are still interested in the game but the price is still a block for you I would suggest Elder Sign as it is easier.  The game itself takes place in a museum with tarot cards representing different exhibits instead of a large city on a game board (other Arkham versions use multiple cities and change some mechanics).  I have had Elder sign games end in 20 min and some 3-4 hours.  Victory from the edge of defeat and  failure spring up in a perfect winning solution.  (seriously, 1 turn from winning and NO negative counters, abilities ect. and every turn, 12 in total, failed in a row until we lost) 

Arkham Horror is advertised as the more difficult of the two.  It does take a more dedicated person/group to play as setup is long, rules are rather complex, and unless you get a full team the game is heavily weighted against you.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:40:31 pm »

I've played it. Good fun, took FOREVER to set up, really scary at the start too. It was really good to play, great with a team of people against the gods, but getting the Sheriff's Gun and Car(?) made it easy enough to rack up kills I was blessed all the time.
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:25:12 pm »

I've played the original, which was put out by Chaosium. Haven't had the opportunity to play the updated version. Played it a few weeks ago for the first time in more than a decade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: