The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 12:09:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jules Verne and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, yay!  (Read 2217 times)
Morluna
Officer
United States United States

« on: April 04, 2007, 04:05:53 am »

I picked up two books this afternoon, Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days and Doyle's The Lost World. Altogether, I spent about $7.00 on the both of them. I was in shock at the sales in my campus bookstore!

I started reading the Doyle one, and I really like it so far. I think I read a watered down children's version of 80 Days when I was a kid... and I remember liking it okay, so I thought I would give it a go. Plus it was so pretty I couldn't resist. It even has gold-edged pages! Oh and I should have photographed the back cover... it has a gold inlay of latitude and longitude lines with corresponding numbers making a map grid. So pretty.

Laura Vaughn
Events Coordinator, Webmistress and Seamstress; Outland Armour

Laurilye Hutchinson - Explosives Technician and Bombadier; HMS Amaranth
The Grand Duchess
Snr. Officer
Patior Sed Supervivo

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:33:56 am »

Oooh, sounds nice.  Is your bookstore a Barnes and Noble?  Whatever criticisms one might have about B&N, they do put out good-looking and inexpensive versions of classics, which are perfect for reading and beautifying a bookshelf. You might want to look at their new releases for 2007- Phantom of the Opera is on the list! http://www.barnesandnoble.com/classics/index.asp?z=y&cds2Pid=9481&linkid=866047

I'm still fond of my copy of the Complete Tales of Sherlock Holmes.  The paper was pulpy, but the book looks lovely on the shelf, and it brings back wonderful memories.  While I love the internet, there is nothing like settling down with an actual book.  The B&N classics are the perfect size for tossing into a book bag on a summer day or for keeping on a nightstand.

I think ebooks will only become popular when they can not only fit comfortably in one's hand while not costing a fortune, but can also be set to read the story in a comforting tone, and make that riffling sound that one gets with paper.

A true alternative subculture is one that not only questions the social status quo but poses viable solutions to some of the perceived underlying problems. Difference from the norm is not the same as superiority to the mainstream unless it can be  argued that the difference is positing a better way.
Morluna
Officer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 10:59:09 am »

Nope, it's just a local college-owned bookstore. But yes, Barnes and Noble does put out awesome classics. I love them. ^_^

I am in agreement concerning ebooks. I tried to get into them a few years ago when they were still relatively new... but they didn't stick with me. Like you said, the lack of portability coupled with the fact that it just doesn't feel the same... they just aren't as satisfying.
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 03:32:27 pm »

Oh i Love 80 days around the World. There was a cartoon version of it on tv when i was littlehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_with_Willy_Fog, i think it may have been a bad influence on me Tongue

The Grand Duchess
Snr. Officer
Patior Sed Supervivo

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:33:42 pm »

Nope, it's just a local college-owned bookstore. But yes, Barnes and Noble does put out awesome classics. I love them. ^_^

I am in agreement concerning ebooks. I tried to get into them a few years ago when they were still relatively new... but they didn't stick with me. Like you said, the lack of portability coupled with the fact that it just doesn't feel the same... they just aren't as satisfying.

The  reason I asked is because both of the colleges where I teach have bookstores that are run for them by B&N.  I prefer the in-house ones, though.

I'm happy that you found such wonderful purchases.  Please give us a review of them when you are finished reading them!
Morluna
Officer

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 04:39:46 pm »

The  reason I asked is because both of the colleges where I teach have bookstores that are run for them by B&N.  I prefer the in-house ones, though.

I'm happy that you found such wonderful purchases.  Please give us a review of them when you are finished reading them!

I certainly shall!
Alex Chemist
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 08:38:59 pm »

Oh i Love 80 days around the World. There was a cartoon version of it on tv when i was littlehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_with_Willy_Fog, i think it may have been a bad influence on me Tongue

Ah, I used to love that and by all account probably still would if I ever got to see it again. Rigadon and Tico were great as I recall. I kept getting the theme tune to that stuck in my head yesterday after I put the Steve Coogan/Jackie Chan film version on at work.
Chuzzlewit
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 10:12:41 pm »

Ah, such nice things... A long-standing dream of mine is to set up a small publishing house to try to market out-of-copyright texts in decent formats like that. Increasingly difficult though - tiny margins, internet availability and so forth... Pick up nice bindings like that when you see them because they won't be around forever. In the UK Penguin Classics and Oxford Classics make lovely paperbacks of everything you could ever want, but they have some academic write an introductory essay and charge the same as a modern book.

"`Suppose, after all, it all ends in your butterflies and morlocks. THAT DOESN'T MATTER NOW. The effort's real. It's worth going on with. It's worth it. It's worth it, even so.' . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: