The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 09:16:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typewriter Buttons and how to make your own!  (Read 17073 times)
Torchholder
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 04:04:35 am »

Well, my Underwood Champion actually has a "Back Spacer" key.  Of course it's one of the three green keys, not one of the black ones.  (The other two being the Shift Lock and the Tab keys.)

I've never seen a "Detonate" key on a typewriter.  Not that it would be out of place...I've just never seen one.   Wink

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." -- Terry Pratchett
6uest
Deck Hand

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 04:17:29 am »

But they do have a "BACK SPACPR" key Huh

That's quite a rarity, and I'm surprised it's included in the set.

For a brief time during the second World War, some American "training" typewriters were produced with a locking mechanism that made it impossible to pull the carriage to the right (backwards) by hand--it was only possible to "back up" one space at a time, using the BACK SPACER key. Unfortunately there were quite a few cases of cardiac arrest reported amongst training speed-typists, due to the stress of frantically pounding on the BACK SPACER in order to correct overlooked errors. Because of wartime shortages, the manufacturer didn't scrap the entire line; instead, they retro-fitted all existing models with a limited lock release, which allowed the carriage to "back up" sixteen spaces at a time. The release was installed on the far left of the keyboard and capped with a button reading "BACK SPACPR", as it was the manufacturer's intent to avoid further personal injury claims.

Best I could come up with off the top of my head. Time and more intensive pondering could probably produce something better, but the air is already heavy with the stench of thread derailment...
6uest
Deck Hand

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 04:22:00 am »

I've never seen a "Detonate" key on a typewriter.  Not that it would be out of place...I've just never seen one.   Wink

Actually, the same manufacturer mentioned above also had a military contract at that same time, and...

I'll show myself out.
teknowitch
Gunner

Life is only Dull When You Allow it.

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2010, 08:32:04 am »

I will be trying them out but of course with sculpy instead, I was thinking I could use my versa tool and burn the letters and numbers on some old parment looking paper ....

love the phone think I may do something like that for my landline

I was born twisted and warped and been perfecting these skills ever since.
Amaterasu2314
Gunner

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2010, 03:01:26 am »

IS it any kind of possible to mod your boring old keyboard with these keys...? Would we need to make the keys more square, smaller circles, etc.?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: