The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:51:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typewriter Buttons and how to make your own!  (Read 17071 times)
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 10:34:46 am »

Hmmmm...
Leeside tools....
http://www.leesidetools.co.uk/
Ann Ominous
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 12:30:13 pm »

Pardon my misuse of the term "emboss" in my earlier post; I meant "impress"...it was late, and I always confuse the two.

I did a quick test with the set of stamps that I have, and realized they're too tiny for use on the individually-lettered keys (though they'd be good for imprinting a short word).  A quick internet search turned up myriads of larger and much nicer ones, and a new set is already on its way...

Here's the results of my test (I hope this works, and an image actually appears below):

Obviously I wasn't being too careful about cutting the discs, or placing the letters.  The "G" in the middle is filled with white Sculpey; I'm out of glow-in-the-dark Fimo, so I used glow-in-the-dark acrylic paint on the "B" and the "S".  I didn't use a brush, I just pushed a dab of paint into the letter with the tip of my finger then wiped off the excess with a damp paper towel.  For the Sculpey "G" I pushed a dab of Sculpey into the letter, scraped it flush with a dental spatula, gave it a rub with a drop of mineral oil, and put it back in the oven. 

When everything was dried and/or cooled I gave them a coat of clear enamel.  I'm not too impressed with the way the acrylics turned out--they don't look as clean as the Sculpey-filled letter, but they do glow very nicely.  I think impressing the letters, then filling them with glow-in-the-dark Fimo, would work very well.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:37:13 pm by Ann Ominous » Logged
Ironman
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 10:51:37 pm »

Cool , I'm going to see if i can find some stamps over the weekend and ill keep you posted.

How about making glow in the dark buttons with black text, ill try that.

Like you said the G looks really neat and tidy. Good going on that.

Hmmm stamps , how about getting the alphabet engraved then pressing some fimo/Scuplty/Milliput.... into the letters and making your own stamps, OK ill try that tomorrow as well if i can.
i have got a company that does somebits for me that makes seals for sealing wax but they're not cheap, but the make letter stamps for book binding ill talk to them.

Ironman
Gunner

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 11:13:46 pm »

Just had a thought ( cogs crunching and bell tings)
Amberly Museum!
http://www.amberleymuseum.co.uk/index2.html
they have a typesetters, maybe i could try them and see what theyve got.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 01:49:05 am »

A longish shot, but if you could find a letterpress hobbyist, you might be able to beg or borrow a set of, say, 12 or 14 point types. I'm sure there are places (especially in Britain) that will sell you a complete small font, but that would be many more bits of type than you'd need. Of course, if the price were low enough it wouldn't matter.

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Ironman
Gunner

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 08:45:03 am »

May have found the answer
http://www.stamps.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=269_303&products_id=3442
but ive also found others, some cheap some not so cheep just waiting on replies about sizes

Doctor Z-kun
Officer

Tinkering Toymaker

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 11:25:44 pm »

I'd say greenstuff/milliput would work, it may be best to use enamel paint to get the glossy finish.
Acrylic paints, as always. Glossy varnish over the stickers afterwards.

I've heard of people having nice results with mixing acrylic paint into the epoxy putty as they mix it. Granted, this was with the white/light colours, not green, but it should be fine with green since black is darker than green.

Handy tutorial! Thanks for sharing it. ^^ Your keys look lovely.

If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born.
We are the chick.
The world is our shell.
Smash the world's shell!
For the Revolution of the world!

~ Touga, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 01:16:33 am »

I would be tempted to leave the olives on the outside of the fimo disks and put the brass rings on as well. Just a point to everyone, when you get the fimo out the oven, it will still be soft and needs time to set. Just in case you didn't know.
Mad Maxine
Zeppelin Captain

I'm the one in the hat.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 01:36:24 am »

This is a nifty idea. Might I ask: what was your source for the brass rings?

Thanks
M

Dedicated to the destruction and repair of objects in the name of curiosity.
Ironman
Gunner

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 07:28:14 pm »

Hi the ring were small curtain rings, form an art shop, but you should be able to pick them up anywhere the actuall ones im using are
Prym 521 330 www.prym-consumer.com

internal diameter of 11mm outside diameter of 16mm.
sorry ill try to get the measurements out in mectrial (mectric and imperial) or impectric not sure what sounds better
maybe a poll?
Universal measurement system, mm,cm,inches, feet, metres etc... 1m 8" 37mm 1/72"
what do you recon
Mad Maxine
Zeppelin Captain

I'm the one in the hat.

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 12:25:18 am »

heh heh. I do metric. I was born in the late 60's and got my metric exposure in school in the mid-70's. I prefer it, actually. Thanks for the information. I wouldn't have thought of curtain rings.

Smiley
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 01:20:22 am »

I had a revelation in Robert Dyas today...
(probably unique... Grin )
I was looking at the rack that has the little plastic packets of useful things, when I saw the brass screw cups...
With a bit of drilling out these could be perfect "bits that go round the letters/numbers"...
Clumsy explanation, just look at the picture on the link and you'll see what I mean...
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18608/Screws/Screw-Cups-Caps/Solid-Brass-Screw-Cup-8ga
Ironman
Gunner

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2008, 08:38:45 am »

OSM , you need not worry we have the good fortune of the Squires, actually i found a way of making stamps.
they had some model train letters and numbers of various sizes , i purchased the 6mm ones. glued them to some sticks and hey presto, stamps, ill get some made up to show you.

one of the good thing is they do really small letters as well so i can make my on/off button as well
http://www.slatersplastikard.com/Trade%20Customers/dealers.htm these ones are part number 1106 as seen in photo.

as for the rings another place that may be usefull is le prevo leather http://www.leprevo.co.uk/ brilliant for leather and fastenings
They do some bigg rings so maybe i can build my i can build my Aether Discomfrabualtion button now , the big red one!
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 09:20:24 am »

Leprevo's shop in Newcastle is a rather special place. The smell is amazing and it's full of useful stuff.
Good call!

Dr. Q.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Mad Maxine
Zeppelin Captain

I'm the one in the hat.

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2008, 04:50:34 pm »

Oh so many good ideas!
Ironman
Gunner

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2008, 07:45:21 pm »

New update!
OK made the stamps from the letters in the previous post , now made some buttons with them. Ive put luminous fimo in the letters and they glow nicely, they've not been recooked yet, sunday lunch and all that!
They need a little cleaning up , but ill do that once they're recooked.
the white one is made from luminous fimo with black fimo in the pressed letters.

was going to photo them glowing but my camera cant see them to well.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2008, 08:21:01 pm »

Stick 'em under UV, that'll show the glow!

Fantastic work by the way: affordable antique keyboards for the masses- HOORAY!

Smiley

Ironman
Gunner

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 09:07:47 am »

Thank you Herr Doktor, sorry cant find the umlaut. Praise from you is indeed and honour!
Maybe you could stick a keypad on that Space helmet of yours! (Subtle cross link reference there!)http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=7803.msg189018#msg189018
And here!

May have a go at some large red buttons now , or maybe even stick the ones Ive done onto the damn telephone, excuse me ladies for the expletive.
Another blatant link
http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=10306.msg193771#msg193771 for the drawing
here a  picture with older buttons
Torchholder
Gunner

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 02:03:56 am »

Wonderful information all, and a great tutorial, Ironman.  Tip of the hat to ya.

Now, anyone have any ideas on how to make rectangular keycaps for keys like the Shift, Tab and Backspace keys on a keyboard?

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." -- Terry Pratchett
6uest
Deck Hand

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 02:38:16 am »

I've used the techniques explained above and substituted rectangular rings, like the ones shown here: http://stores.ebay.com/Ah-Kwok-Supplies_Metal-Rectangle-rings_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ14QQftidZ2QQtZkm for the round rings, to make rectangular keys.

It's too bad this thread has not made it into the "How To" board, hint hint.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:02 am »

Great tutorials, I know I will be using them in the very near future!

It's too bad this thread has not made it into the "How To" board, hint hint.
Hint taken Wink

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
6uest
Deck Hand

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 02:51:41 am »

Thank you, sir  Smiley

"How to get a thread moved, in less than 7 minutes".
pixlaw
Gunner

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 03:12:49 pm »

Um, not to discourage makers, but check out this link to pre-made key charms which might fit the proverbial bill

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?Ntt=typewriter&x=0&y=0&requestURI=searchMain&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0

They do look a little cheap, and a typical computer keyboard would require at least 9 bags  (therefore $72) , but I figured I'd mention it.

6uest
Deck Hand

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 07:05:09 pm »

Not to discourage non-makers, but the readily-available typewriter key bead/charm sets rarely contain all the characters needed to complete a keyboard.  And I have yet to see one that includes a "DETONATE" button.

So after spending $72, you'll have to make some of your own, anyway.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2009, 02:04:48 am »

And I have yet to see one that includes a "DETONATE" button.
But they do have a "BACK SPACPR" key Huh
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: