The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2017, 11:37:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Musha Rpg  (Read 1776 times)
Rick_Hershey
« on: April 01, 2007, 04:11:13 am »

My name is Rick Hershey, i'm the creator of Steampunk Musha: victoriental adventure, and figured I'd finally sign up instead of lurking here.

I am curious if anyone here has picked up my pen & paper rpg, and what do you think about it? Anything you like, dislike, want to see included in the future?

If you havn't picked it up or heard about it, what are your thoughts about Steampunk elements in other settings beyond the standard?

Emperor
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Divine Wind

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:30:14 pm »

If you havn't picked it up or heard about it, what are your thoughts about Steampunk elements in other settings beyond the standard?

I spotted it a few months back and thought it looked very interesting. I don't play RPGs these days but last year I had a script accepted by a smallpress comic which was Steampunk set in Tokugawa-era Japan (Lone Wolf and Cub with steam engines, sort of) and so I was glad too see something along similar lines, as proof I wasn't barking up the wrong tree Wink I was especially impressed by "Victoriental" - gold stars all round for the person who dreamt that up Smiley

How is the comic version coming along by the way? The samples looked intriguing.

Also as Rick was too shy to post a link here it is:

www.steampunkmusha.com

Wink

Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steampunk Collective thread
The Grand Duchess
Snr. Officer
Patior Sed Supervivo

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:12:11 pm »

While I am not a game player, it looks like an interesting universe. I applaud your inventiveness as well as your move away from Eurocentric steampunk.

A true alternative subculture is one that not only questions the social status quo but poses viable solutions to some of the perceived underlying problems. Difference from the norm is not the same as superiority to the mainstream unless it can be  argued that the difference is positing a better way.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:43:31 pm »

Now then, this looks like material I could sink my money into and feel rewarded(no office to the other steampunk type RPGs out there, but as Duchess has stated, its something not euro-centric, thus immediately has a greater appeal for m to work with).

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Caffeinated Gent
Snr. Officer
Do you feel lucky, steamPunk? Good.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 10:35:52 pm »

I am generally wary of those who speculate about cultures in which they are not naturally immersed;

However, the RPG in question seems very interesting.
Rick_Hershey
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 04:22:20 am »

I don't play RPGs these days but last year I had a script accepted by a smallpress comic which was Steampunk set in Tokugawa-era Japan (Lone Wolf and Cub with steam engines, sort of) and so I was glad too see something along similar lines, as proof I wasn't barking up the wrong tree Wink I was especially impressed by "Victoriental" - gold stars all round for the person who dreamt that up Smiley

How is the comic version coming along by the way? The samples looked intriguing.

What's the name of your comic? Is it out yet?

As for the Steampunk Musha comic, well it is on hold right now. I honestly don't have the time to work on it due to way too many other responsibilities, but I have the first issue script, an 8 page submission script (all written by Alana Abbott) and a colorist on board. If I can find an artist I like it would all be ready to go. . . I'd actually prefer a female artist (as the rest of the team is female) but havn't started looking too hard yet. Soon I hope.

As for the term "victoriental", I came up with it several years ago when I first started on SM. Not sure if it is originally mine, but I haven't seen it used anywhere else. . . so, maybe it's all mine.

While I am not a game player, it looks like an interesting universe. I applaud your inventiveness as well as your move away from Eurocentric steampunk.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Now then, this looks like material I could sink my money into and feel rewarded(no office to the other steampunk type RPGs out there, but as Duchess has stated, its something not euro-centric, thus immediately has a greater appeal for m to work with).

I'm glad it peaks your interested. I'm surprised the book has done so well, as it really is a medley of a lot of different concepts, but I've gotten very little feedback on what people like or want to see more of- or even what they don't like. Not sure if it is a good sign, but we are working on tons more material for anyway.

I am generally wary of those who speculate about cultures in which they are not naturally immersed;

I think the setting isn't for everyone, and I know a few people who are more in the 'historical" aspects of these type of setting give me a lot of grief. The main reason is that the setting isn't specific to one asian background. . . meaning it's not fantasy japan or fantasy china, etc. I wanted an "oriental" setting that I could incorporate different ideas and concepts from several eastern regions. So, you actually have japanese influence, chinese, korean, mongolian, even indian. I wanted it to be familiar, but in all honesty be very diverse on what people can play. Hmm. . . I think I rambled on there.

Well, if anyone does pick it up, or has picked it up- I still would love to hear feedback (good or bad)  and thanks to those who commented.
Caffeinated Gent
Snr. Officer
Do you feel lucky, steamPunk? Good.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 05:35:12 pm »

I think the setting isn't for everyone, and I know a few people who are more in the 'historical" aspects of these type of setting give me a lot of grief. The main reason is that the setting isn't specific to one asian background. . . meaning it's not fantasy japan or fantasy china, etc. I wanted an "oriental" setting that I could incorporate different ideas and concepts from several eastern regions. So, you actually have japanese influence, chinese, korean, mongolian, even indian. I wanted it to be familiar, but in all honesty be very diverse on what people can play. Hmm. . . I think I rambled on there.

Well, if anyone does pick it up, or has picked it up- I still would love to hear feedback (good or bad)  and thanks to those who commented.

An endeavour at which I wish you the best of luck, because of the natural difficulty.
Emperor
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Divine Wind

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 08:19:35 pm »

I don't play RPGs these days but last year I had a script accepted by a smallpress comic which was Steampunk set in Tokugawa-era Japan (Lone Wolf and Cub with steam engines, sort of) and so I was glad too see something along similar lines, as proof I wasn't barking up the wrong tree Wink I was especially impressed by "Victoriental" - gold stars all round for the person who dreamt that up Smiley

What's the name of your comic? Is it out yet?

The comic is MangaQuake but it isn't out yet. I had a non-Steampunk piece accepted over a year and a half ago but the artist has proved tricky to pin down. So I put the more Steampunky tale together for the previous issue (with the idea that the more I had in the works the more likely it would be for something to get done) but it missed that and has been through the hands of half a dozen artists - the problem is that they are both pitched at the more realistic end of the mange spectrum (e.g. Goseki Kojima with an eye back to Hokusai himself) and this seems to make artists run for the hills. If I had something involving elves with eyes the size of saucers I'd have no problems. Wink

It is in the hands of another artist at the moment but I haven't heard much and the deadline is looming. When it is done I'll drop a note in. Its only really a 5 page taster and I have a longer story arc pencilled out so it'd be nice to get it rolling and see what people thought.

As for the Steampunk Musha comic, well it is on hold right now. I honestly don't have the time to work on it due to way too many other responsibilities, but I have the first issue script, an 8 page submission script (all written by Alana Abbott) and a colorist on board. If I can find an artist I like it would all be ready to go. . . I'd actually prefer a female artist (as the rest of the team is female) but havn't started looking too hard yet. Soon I hope.

Cool. Well let us know how it goes.

As for the term "victoriental", I came up with it several years ago when I first started on SM. Not sure if it is originally mine, but I haven't seen it used anywhere else. . . so, maybe it's all mine.

Oh I'd say so. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: