The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 04:45:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Cellphone  (Read 8774 times)
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2008, 07:45:34 pm »

Here is the first pictures of the parts, and measurements

ALL NUMBERS ARE MILLIMETRES - I'm Danish, I only do metrics Wink

I sincerely apologize for the horrific state of the pictures - it's my cameraphone...

The main PCB - it can be placed anywhere, since all the connectors can (and probably will be) extended
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The display and the speaker
They can both be removed from the plastic they're attached to, since they're just pressed in
Top number is diameter of speaker

Antenna
Just a small piece of metal - not really anything special - but it has to be placed near the outer casing - and away from the face
And not behind metal

This acctually looks like it could be interesting, I avoided this thread for a while as I loath mobile phones, answering them often with a whiney "whaaaat!?" or a sharp "Who are you!? What do you want!?!?" and I make a point of owning the oldest phone I can find that isn't going to compromise too much pocket space.
Back to the point, and a small idea, why not replace the ærial with a coiled peice of wire that sticks up from the phone or some kind of retractable ærial like the ones on radios?

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Igaus N. Wierzba
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2008, 07:51:35 pm »

I have a design that is no wear practical but oh so pretty. Sadly I have no good way to transfer it into the digital world.
Also I was going to build it myself Wink
I was also going to use the old Nokia 3310/3330 but the project swelled and now needs a bluetooth phone sadly.

However! To bring up a issue in the beginning of the thread.
The nokia 3330, if I remember correctly, have voice activated dialing.
So the whole "Operator!" thing is doable, but without any modifications it will be a bit of a hazel.
A good thing thou is that when the phone yet again thinks you are saying tomato when your actually saying "Mr. Andersson!" is that you can yell at the fictional operator to your hearts content for hearing you wrong without actually verbally abuse someone. Plus, I have heard this makes you "look important" among the .... "outsiders".

Hope the project will go great! If I ever get a chance to put my design into the computer and the thread is still alive I will post them here.
0rsted
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2008, 09:20:34 pm »

Back to the point, and a small idea, why not replace the ærial with a coiled peice of wire that sticks up from the phone or some kind of retractable ærial like the ones on radios?

It could be a cool idea - but the antenna (this is a fact for all antennas) is shaped and sized specifically for the band it's using - and in this case, the GSM-band - and I'm quite sure that I can't make a coiled piece of wire that has the right dimensions for it
If I had an older nokia (that is to say - if I were slaughtering an older phone) I could modify the look of the antenna - but alas - no such luck - the 3310/3330 is perfect for this type of project - since it's the best selling mobile phone - ever... (lots of spares - since nobody uses it anymore Cheesy)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2008, 09:24:12 pm »

Speaking as a bit of an electronics ignoramus, how easy would it be to remove a GSM antenna and put in a quad band in a phone?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Ironman
Gunner

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2008, 09:36:42 pm »

have had a minor brain wave today, ( 2 pints down the pub) why not just get a hands free kit and use the voice dialing settings, hmmm "Operator get me surrey 648 please" and it dials the pizza place , doh , why didnt i think of this earlier!
0rsted
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2008, 10:33:09 pm »

Speaking as a bit of an electronics ignoramus, how easy would it be to remove a GSM antenna and put in a quad band in a phone?

Not possible - it's also in the hardware...
Sorry

have had a minor brain wave today, ( 2 pints down the pub) why not just get a hands free kit and use the voice dialing settings, hmmm "Operator get me surrey 648 please" and it dials the pizza place , doh , why didnt i think of this earlier!

People suggested this idea a LOT - but it just seems so - well - like the easy way out...
I want something really unique, and the hands free thing is just so done before...
Ironman
Gunner

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2008, 10:36:40 pm »

Parlezphone as is

ear piece has been turned and stained the speaker is inside and i made a small braas dome for the end, the phones connected up inside and i did a test call on it last night, much to the annoyance of my daughter.
i need to replaced a couple of broken switches but thats mondays job sorted out.
Dr. Lemure
Officer
United States United States

Lemure~ phantom, ghost; Lemur~ cute, fuzzy primate

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2008, 05:53:25 am »

I really like how this is turning out! I'll surely use your typewriter button method in some creation of my own. Smiley

Blow wind! Come rain! Our zeppelin fleet cannot be slain!
general ronnoc
Swab

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2008, 05:25:11 pm »

im thinking of an idea for my own cell phone! but its a flip phone so theres some problems but i hope it turns out good. does any one have any idea if you could make a gear that rotates when i get a text or call?
quantumcat
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2008, 06:17:56 pm »

It amazes me how gifted you are.

I have no doubt that y'all can find a way to incorporate all the current bells and whistles into a steampunk package.

But,do let me know when you manage to fit in the perks of older phones.

"Operator? Oh,hello,Sarah. Is your Mama in?  She's gone over to her sister's?  Oh,my. How many will she have counting this one? SEVEN!  Well,I hope she gets her little girl this time.  I'm needing to talk to my cousin Helen in Flat Creek. Her number is Oh Dubya five... What?  What's she doing in Nashville? She's not at Cain-Sloan's again, is she?  She's down to Hazel's? Yeah,you can connect me there.  Mornin',Fred!  Can I holler at Helen? I'm needing to know  if I can put hedge apples in with my dishes to ward off the palmetto bugs.  What's that? You don't mean it! Tell Hazel to write me all about it.  Don't tell me now. Sarah's on the switchboard and y'all have got your party line."

Turning the crank might not summon a farmwife who runs her own telephone co-operative  but it'd do well at recharging a phone battery after the sun goes down.
uberdude
Gunner

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2008, 08:32:34 am »

Here is the first pictures of the parts, and measurements

ALL NUMBERS ARE MILLIMETRES - I'm Danish, I only do metrics Wink

I sincerely apologize for the horrific state of the pictures - it's my cameraphone...

The main PCB - it can be placed anywhere, since all the connectors can (and probably will be) extended

The display and the speaker
They can both be removed from the plastic they're attached to, since they're just pressed in
Top number is diameter of speaker

Antenna
Just a small piece of metal - not really anything special - but it has to be placed near the outer casing - and away from the face
And not behind metal

Again, this is eerily similar to the project I did. The good thing is that you got a model with a keypad that will be easy to hack up. The inside of the discs are one side of the switch with the outer discs all connected to a common ground. when the inside disc is connected to ground the key is 'hit'. The hardest part is soldering a wire to the inner disc without bridging to the outer disc, you can only use a fine point of the soldering iron which makes it hard to get enough heat there. Again, the electronics aren't the hard part, the hard part is getting a case that is both small enough and 'punky enough. For reference

http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=1495.0

Blimpin' ain't easy
uberdude
Gunner

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2008, 08:35:04 am »

im thinking of an idea for my own cell phone! but its a flip phone so theres some problems but i hope it turns out good. does any one have any idea if you could make a gear that rotates when i get a text or call?

The easiest way I can see to do this, is attach a small lightweight gear to the vibrate mechanism. Most vibrate mechanisms are actually a small motor that spins a off center weight to make the phone jitter. Replace the weight with a gear, set phone to vibrate and voila- the gear rotates every time you get a text or call.
PennyDreadful
Officer

Studying the white savages of the plains.

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2008, 09:33:27 pm »

Needs to be set up for voice dialing, so you can pick it up, press a big clunky button and say,

"Operator, can you connect me to Dr Fiddlington-Smythe on Sydney-Under-Wold 435 please"

Cheesy:D

I love it. Now I am trying to remember if my voice dial function will take long phrases....

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
    Oscar Wilde
PennyDreadful
Officer

Studying the white savages of the plains.

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2008, 09:44:10 pm »

Ok a few more bits to do on my flintlock then im going to try the Cellphone. I need a set of measurements please for the typrwriter buttons, i cnat get hold of any so ill have to make some. If anyone can help i would be greatfull, found this picture the other day of a real old phone, spooky it looks simular to what i came up with.

so if anyone got some ol typewriter buttons they could photo and measure for me i would be greatful

You could try hitting a scrapbooking store or Walmart. You can find sheets of round stickers that look like typewriter face keys. I found corresponding round stick on domes at a scrapbooking store. The whole mess is currently sitting in a box with a partially cannibalized keyboard. Why yes, I have way too many half finished projects in my studio at the moment!
Ironman
Gunner

Engineer Zacharia Glass

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2008, 09:52:36 pm »

Hi, sorry ive been away chasing Underwater krakens and tryoing to rescue my friend who was briefly kidnapped in Angola ( the last bit is real).
As of the moment im flying to work form gatwick to aberdeen , this will shortly be changing.
so i havent really had anytime to carry on with the project, as soon as i do i will post the thing on the site.
quantumcat
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2008, 12:34:07 am »

Best wishes to your friend.

It's wonderful to have a buddy who can come through for you when you're living the plot of some action-adventure novel.

It's also great to be able to be that friend and come through for folks in a crisis.

(Whether the problem be imminent death,needing to move furniture or a body,the crash of a plane or hard drive or the lack of a bundt pan.)

I salute you for being that kind of real-life hero.

Lucius Voltaic
Snr. Officer

I need a cup of the brown stuff, shade of an acorn

LuciusVoltaic
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2008, 04:48:19 pm »

Hear, hear, Quantumcat. What happened, though, Ironman? How has it turned out? You say you were "trying" to help your friend who was "briefly kidnapped" in Angola. This suggests to me that your friend was kidnapped, but was released before you had a chance to rescue him (her?). If so, we all know it was the mere thought of you coming after them that made the kidnappers cut and run. But, please, tell us--we cannot abide suspense.

Lucius Voltaic

"The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations."
--General Baron Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: