The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:51:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how do you deal with the inevitable hecklings?  (Read 184629 times)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 09:13:19 pm »

Ahhh, but do you have fairies there?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 09:16:18 pm »

They sit on the four-foot-high wall Wink

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

By the way, forgive my ignorance, but who are these Chavs I keep seeing mentioned.  Some form of gang I'm assuming?

More like an underclass. Remember those hate-mongers you mentioned?
plum phlogiston
Zeppelin Captain

Riding the flying anvil from Moominvalley to Spong

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 09:25:19 pm »

By the way, forgive my ignorance, but who are these Chavs I keep seeing mentioned.  Some form of gang I'm assuming?

May I direct you here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav for a rather stereotyped but sadly mainly accurate series of descriptions.
chromegrrrl
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 09:25:56 pm »

In the states if you hit someone with an object it can turn the charges from "assault" to "attempted murder", this of course depends on the situation but something to keep in mind.

That being said, walk with confidence and be secure in yourself. Don't walk around as if you're expecting a fight, or looking for one. In general, bullies won't strike out at people that they feel they can't take on verbally or physically.

Violence should always be a last resort.

Although there's nothing to say that dousing an aggressor with a shot of Bacardi and brandishing a lit zippo shouldn't be the 2nd to the last resort.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 09:42:16 pm »

May I direct you here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav for a rather stereotyped but sadly mainly accurate series of descriptions.

I'm afraid to say that's wholly accurate. Sadly, I'm not allowed to cull them with my hockey stick.
MPsy
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Capt. Wong Wei

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 10:05:43 pm »

I usually find ignoring those types of human trash to work.  Make no eye contact or anything.  Plus if you're especially worried about walking around a certain area make sure to walk with a group of friends.  Which is what I did when I had to go down the toy district (skid row) in LA at 1am once.  If all else fails carry something intimidating such as pepper stray or a taser gun.  I once warded off a would-be mugger with my switchblade comb.

-Captain of the Dreadful Rumor-
"We're not lost!  We're on an adventure!"

Mad Calamity Photos
http://madcalamity.zenfolio.com/

Convention coverage, shorts, interviews, and vlogs!
http://www.youtube.com/user/youknowwhaaa
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 10:12:39 pm »

I'm afraid to say that's wholly accurate. Sadly, I'm not allowed to cull them with my hockey stick.

A Cull of the Chavs! Yes! This is the answer!
*pics up thick copper piping with large brass steam valve at one end*

I once warded off a would-be mugger with my switchblade comb.

You own!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:16:22 pm by JingleJoe » Logged

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 10:14:45 pm »

Firstly I'll mension that I live in London, so people are possibly a bit more easy going here, which may make my view sound a bit naive- but for me it works.

firstly theres a thin line between what causes ridicule & compliment, but I think it tends to have a large part to do with your character & how you hold yourself- if you are rather shy & timid (especially if you could be considered a bit of a neek to start with) Wink or you act like a twat, well people are going to be a lot more harsh! -I know that the chav infestation isn't too serious here, but even on excursions involving late night encounters with them outside of London I haven't had much problem, despite my sometimes more outlandish attire.

I'd also think about what is going to illicit a reaction- wearing a waistcoat shirt etc. is not going to get much of a reaction, goggles depend on the type & how they're worn & toolbelts etc. depend on who's wearing them & how practicle they look- ie if they look completely fantastic, well you're going to get a lot more flak from passers by who think you are a poser (personally unless you have a specific reason I'd avoid them altogether)

PS. Nice to see you all again, I'm back to using the æther Grin
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:16:21 pm by Pheobsky » Logged

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 10:19:55 pm »

Make no eye contact or anything. 

I'd actually disagree with this (though the rest of your advice is spot on). I find that at least some eye contact is good as a "I know you're there" reminder.  I think without the element of surprise they are less likely to consider you a target.

That, and I simply refuse to walk around cowering, eyes to the floor - I consider that a sign of weakness, and its likely they would too. Being opportunists, showing you are weak is an invitation. More so than any perceived challenge from making eye contact.

At least that's what has worked for me over the past decade in Chicago. *knock on wood*

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Glass
Snr. Officer

Creature of the night: 1700-0300.

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 11:23:19 pm »

I'd actually disagree with this (though the rest of your advice is spot on). I find that at least some eye contact is good as a "I know you're there" reminder.  I think without the element of surprise they are less likely to consider you a target.

That, and I simply refuse to walk around cowering, eyes to the floor - I consider that a sign of weakness, and its likely they would too. Being opportunists, showing you are weak is an invitation. More so than any perceived challenge from making eye contact.

You are exactly right. It is well known amongst law enforcement and self-defense instructors that predators seek out victims who meet certain profiles. They look for people they believe they can dominate and control.

Just the demonstration that you are not an easy target puts you way ahead of the curve. Every predator (4 and 2 legged) does a risk versus reward analysis. If you appear to offer more risk to the bad guy than reward, he is likely to pass you over in search of an easier target.

The term often used is “Target Hardening”. The idea is that no one can be or appear to be absolutely invulnerable, but if you appear to be a more difficult target to handle than the next guy, the bad guy will likely pass you over for the easier mark.

Strategies:
1) Make brief eye contact. It does in fact tell predators that you know they are there. You can do it without being confrontational or getting into a stare down (which is counter-productive).

2) Continually scan your surroundings. You’ll know what is going on around you and the bad guys will know that you know.

3) If you start to feel bad stuff is coming, leave. Don’t hesitate; just get out of there.

4) Don’t associate with idiots. If you have a friend that is a magnet for bad stuff because they make poor decisions, find a new friend.

Personal safety has been a passion of mine and I’m actually writing a book about it.

Actual self-defense using force is the subject of an entire thread on it’s own. The laws (in the US) aren’t actually that complicated when it comes to self-defense. You just have to understand some basic concepts.

Patrick

Futhermore...
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 01:09:11 am »

As far as heckling is concerned, bah, I've been heckled most of my life for one thing or another and I don't care.

As far as personal safety is concerned (different animal), I agree with the above post.

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 01:17:14 am »

This will be of no immediate help to anyone under the age of 21 but, it may help to focus on the coming years...
Take me for instance...
I'm 50 years old...
I'm 6' 2"....
I have, I'm told, a permanent 1000 yard stare....
I'm allowed to dress anyway I want (within the realms of public decency)...
If people want to hurl abuse at me, fine...
In fact...
I don't mind been addressed as "Oi..! Nutter...!"
It's usually shouted by the type of person who doesn't realise that I only appear to be smaller than them because I'm far away....

Youth take courage and look to the future or, errrr past....
Mr.Boilerplate
Deck Hand

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 02:33:02 am »

Not to stray of topic too much, but is Ali G an imitation of a "Chav", from what Ive read it seems thats the demographic that character is sort of aimed at.  They sound like what I usually hear referred to as white boy gangstas, or suburban gangstas, or otherwise..idiots.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 02:37:44 am »

The easiest way to translate chav would probably be white trash.
sjbonnar
Gunner

Captain of HMS Valkyrie

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 04:22:43 am »

The U.S. version of a chav would be trailer trash combined with preppy combined with gangsta...

It is truly a sight to behold and they only travel in packs...

As for heckling, I have gotten used to it. I was used to it for being overweight, I was used to it for being "a goth/greebo/grunger/insert any other alternative style" that people wished to call me, I was used to it for cosplay and I will be used to it for Steampunk.

To be honest, as long as people asking questions outweighs people throwing insults (although, insulting back is quite easy as well for these people are usually of low-intellect) then I shall be happy!
MPsy
Snr. Officer

Capt. Wong Wei

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 05:01:48 am »

Make no eye contact or anything. 

I'd actually disagree with this (though the rest of your advice is spot on).

When I said make no eye contact I meant pay no attention to them and walk pass trouble with an air of confidence.
Glass
Snr. Officer

Creature of the night: 1700-0300.

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 05:16:08 am »

When I said make no eye contact I meant pay no attention to them and walk pass trouble with an air of confidence.

I'm pretty sure that would be viewed by the average lowlife as intentional evasivesness based on fear. They'd hone in on it. Brief, non-challenging eye contact is the best strategy in my experience.

Patrick

Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:45 am »

The easiest way to translate chav would probably be white trash.

Actually, what would be referred to as "Chavs" in England are generally called "Whiggers" around here....

Also, MPsy:  I second the motion that you own!

I once talked myself out of a potential confrontation with some street trash, mainly by using big, multi-syllable words.... I was in a bad mood at the time, and would have welcomed a good fight, but the one guy looked like he was reaching for something, and I didn't have any weapons.... Suffice to say, that as a result of that incident, and one of my friends from the base getting mugged a few days later, I started carrying a pair of Sai concealed under my jacket just in case......

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
moko
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 09:47:09 am »

i think the greatest comeback ive ever thrown to a chav was (and this will give all who dont know an idea as to the low intellect of a chav) "chris my good man, tell me are you a hetrosexual?" the reply was "AAAWWHH, NOH MATE WO' YOO ON ABOU' YOO! DIRTY MOSHA!" indeed, they are idiots
Sir. Silence
Gunner

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 11:31:21 am »

Personally what i do is as follows:

Take the hecklings for about a month.

Eventually grab one of the people that has a problem with you and shout in their face about politeness manners and there general parentage.

After said shouting, let go of the person and brush your self down.

Walk away.

p.s This may not always work but if you can shout hard enough and expose enough holes in there reasons for bothering you, it should work.

With Originality
Sir. Silence

In Darkness There Is Pain, In Pain There Is Life.
sjbonnar
Gunner

Captain of HMS Valkyrie

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 01:13:59 pm »

Sir. Silence, I'd have to disagree with that for one reason and one alone.

I think that kind of reaction is what they are hoping for. I mean, if they actually start violence, then by all means, but we are supposed to be a better class of people. Plus, around where I live at least (South-East London...yes, where all the stabbings have been occurring lately) they travel in groups of seven or more. Generally, if I were to grab one of them, I would be stabbed in the back by one of the others.

I have been in situations like that before and it meant a trip to the hospital after tussling with a group of people who, if it were two or three, I would have been fine with. But a group of THAT many...? (there were between 7 and 9)
professortucker
Gunner

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 01:33:11 pm »

last time someone tried to fight me for being different in a steamy way, I simply gave them a good wack on the knees with the solid brass jackal head on the end of my cane.

As he hobbled away I told him not to be so ignorant. Not much has happened to me since then, at least not around my home town.

Sincerely,

Professor Delphinius "J.C." Tucker

Professor (SFC) Tucker of Her Majesty's Royal Airship Corps.
Arcturon the hobo
Zeppelin Captain
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

I am my own man. You, sir, are the queen's bitch

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 01:39:07 pm »

Ignore them.
If they attempt violence challenge one of them to a gentleman's duel.

Nae king, nae quin, nae laird, nae master! We won't be fooled agin!

I do not suffer fools, fools suffer ME!

"If she be the daughter of fifty kings" Said Father Fitzgibbon "I tell you, you can't marry her, she being a fish."

http://sceyeballkid.deviantart.com/
Schizmo
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 01:39:32 pm »

Currently the closest to steampunk I get in my attire is my goggles, and even those are not particularly steamy at the moment. I wear them in place of sunglasses because they feel nicer and tend to block light better what with polarized lenses. With that said anytime I am outside, generally, the goggles are on. I get funny looks and the occasional snicker or two. People in the crosswalk do a double take, people in the cars next to me smile, probably humorously.

My close friends make fun of me for it, but I find its rather endearing, and not at all mean-spirited. Except for my brother, but what can you expect (aside from heckling) from a younger brother who is twice your size and weight?

Overall its been a more positive thing for me, I'm easily recognizable at places I frequently shop at because they recognize the goggles before my car. Drive thru girls (they all seem to be female in my city, not that its a bad thing Wink  ) recognize me and ask how my day is going. Sometimes without them they don't recognize me right away, or even at all. Its quite funny.

With that being said, we'll see how much that changes when I start wearing leather vests and an abundance of belts. LOL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: