The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 09:57:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how do you deal with the inevitable hecklings?  (Read 186124 times)
moko
« on: July 08, 2008, 05:06:33 pm »

being new to steampunk, and, feeling a little more inclined to the punk/scene fashion sense right now, i dont wear much that would be classed as steamy as of yet, but one thing that made think was how you guys do it!

ive seen some of you talking about wearing steampunk toolbelts for general day wear, goggles in place of sunglasses. now as im sure most of you fellow brits know, people have even gone so far as to beat anyone who dares to be different literally to death. not long ago a goth girl was stamped to death by a group of chavs. at least 16 all male, stamped a girl to death. so, there is an inevitable risk to being steampunk and such, so how do you chaps and chappettes cope?
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:13:02 pm »

I just ignore the sorry wastes of human DNA for the most part.... If they're dumb enough to try and attack me.... Well, suffice to say that I'm a veteran of both Afghanistan (2001) and Iraq (2004), and know at least 2 different martial arts....... Grin

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
moko
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:20:20 pm »

ah, im a rather weedy looking 15 year old, though i do have an incredible temper which when induced gives me adrenaline rushes the likes of which you have never seen before. i also am fully prepared to bite (and i mean really bite) if the situation calls for it...so i guess id be safe from physical harm, prison scentences however, i may have to keep tabs on
Journeyman
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:22:06 pm »

Humorously, I saw whilst dropping by the dress-up topic yesterday, an impressive array of anti-lynching technology--Laverna Lovett carrying a sword and MPsy packing a gorgeous set of pistols, for example!

More seriously, try to think about what your look will convey to different cultures and pick appropriate situations.  Goth, for example, is sometimes, in some places, associated with paganism or witchcraft.  Not sure whether that's the case in the example you cited, but certainly I can think that less-than-open-minded people might take some sort of overly-egoistic offense.  If you know that there are certain generalizations that could lead to confrontation, it's generally best, unfortunately, to not stir up trouble Smiley

More simply--find good friends and good company, and the rest will follow!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:24:02 pm »

A good sturdy walking cane will probably help.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
moko
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:25:32 pm »

i live in a very chav orientated part of england...i.e. lancashire...if only my S.P.A.W.N. pistol could be made to shoot real particle atomised beams...then id feel safe!
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:28:20 pm »

A good sturdy walking cane will probably help.

Ah, yes, self defense with STYLE!!  There's actually even a martial art based on fighting with a cane too (IIRC, the French invented it).

I tend to improvise... Empty beer bottles are depressingly easy to acquire around here (people just don't have any respect for the law or nature), and there are numerous other things easily found lying around that serve as good improvised weaponry (rocks, sticks, etc).
Byron Cogsmith
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:30:59 pm »

If the situation is the one that happened up in Lancashire then they girl was trying to defend her boyfriend who had already been beaten to the ground.(http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article266079.ece) It wasn't quite 16 people, but it doesn't really matter if it was 1 or 100, it doesn't detract from the fact that in this country if you look slightly different some people will see you as a target.

I'd be loathed to encourage anyone to carry any type of weapon, it's far better to make sure you are with friends, don't go near known trouble areas, get a taxi home if you have and try and ignore the heckling where possible, luckily the morons soon get bored.

I stalk the night, and the night can't get a restraining order............
moko
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:39:45 pm »

oh, sorry i meant 16 of age, not number, i think there were about 2-4 of them
Abraxas
Snr. Officer

Dept. of Works: Mistakes? We don't make mistakes.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 05:47:07 pm »

I've grown used to it.
I know that when I wear my kilt, while the guys heckle; the ladies seem to love it. I get a good mix of genuine curiosity and questions, which I am happy to assuage...and I appreciate those enough to outweigh the occasional moronic comments.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:00:35 pm by Abraxas » Logged

My new etsy shop : Vintage eyewear and goggles, more to come soon!

<A HREF="http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5902076">Vintage Eyewear and Goggles</A>
moko
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:59:22 pm »

its nice when you get occasional random compliments or friendly questions from strangers, one i got recently from some scene girl was "your hair is really awesome", this was standing at the front of the bus about to get off. i returned the favor, but they were hollow words...my hair is ruler of all follicles!
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:24:09 pm »

In my area, I'm just assumed to be yet-another crazy old-guy, and I am generally-ignored Smiley

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
moko
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 06:27:49 pm »

maybe if i were to buy a false beard i could to be treated to the same social effect
ironwood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 06:39:57 pm »

It really does not matter how you dress, some people will find fault not matter what.  If I worried about what others think about me then I would never leave my house.
When I was a kid I was picked on all the time just because i wore glasses.  I always avoided a fight if I could and but would fight if I had to.  Just remember there is no such thing as a fair fight.  When you have to fight then fight to win, but it is better to just leave if you can.  And if your really worried about it, take a self defense class.

One man's (insert word) is another man's SteamPunk.
plum phlogiston
Zeppelin Captain

Riding the flying anvil from Moominvalley to Spong

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 06:41:21 pm »

I find ignoring any comments is the best way of dealing with such foolish lowlifes, large headphones seem to help with this. That way you give them no material with which to continue their idiotic tirades.

I had an encounter the other week: I was walking up the road and three young lads were walking down. As we passed one spoke to me but I didn't hear as I was firmly plugged into my lovely music playing device. Presuming they had asked for the time or somesuch I asked them to repeat themselves, upon which request youth no.1 said (while pointing at youth no.3):

'He wants know if he can lick your pussy'!

I was aghast. Though I'm certainly not the most pure of mouth I could not believe what I was hearing, that anyone could want to sound like such a complete moron for starters.

I responded with a firm 'no thank you, I wouldn't like to catch anything' (childish I know; I instantly kicked myself for not making some dreadful cat related gag) and put my headphones firmly back on.

Why oh why?
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 06:42:33 pm »

in my area (refereed to as the buckle of the bible belt) i often get rude comments.. but none so bad as i had a man threaten me and almost attack me the day after thanksgiving last year... tore at my clothing and called me a Satan worshiper... went to his car and was heading back with a large object in hand... luckally the store clerk took care of it... apparently the man was drunk Sad poor dear... he had nothing better to do but buy beer and get drunk the day after thanksgiving.

Typically i get nothing but nice comment son my attire. i once had a little ol' lady in a store walk up to me and tell me more young ladies needed to dress as i did. i was stunned. And just the other day i had a WWII vet thank me for wearing my aviators cap... he saluted me and walked off. again, i was stunned. i think the funniest experience was i was at the local mall(book store inside had a sale on classic novels) and a young girl (about 7 or Cool told her mom ,"Mom looks its Amalia airheart!" i quickly jumped behind my husband as if to hide and yelled "It is not! you saw nothing!" much to the glee of the children Smiley

As for bad comments, i typically view the person giving them to me as sad and a bit depressing... the live their life to dictate to others... they could instead be living to live... but no instead they must push others around.

I do however keep a very large umbrella with a 2lb solid pewter handle around for safety...just in case some one decides to get fresh with me.

Crow of Ryuzoji
Gunner

Head Keeper of Arcane Knowledge

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 07:28:18 pm »

After a while one gets used to all sorts of stares and comments. The general tactic is to just ignore them. I, however, like to play with hecklers by taking the insult and thanking them as though they have just complimented me. That usually discourages them.

Also, the more confidence you display the less likely you are to be subjected to such ridicule. So show pride!

Boredom is life's complete state in order to welcome a coffee break.
Captain_Minty_Gearhertz
Zeppelin Captain

I can fly anything... Just watch me!

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 08:44:55 pm »

As a goggle wearer of quite a few years, I'm used to some odd looks from the more conservative members of society, the children stare enchanted, not quite sure if I am real or not and somewhat aware that staring is rude but still wishing to watch me as they walk past. I live in a not so chavy area and i have never really come across open hostility, more compliments than abuse. When fully steampunk'd up I was regarded with bemusement by some and amusement by others. The first time (in Cardiff) was fine, as there were people walking around dressed as giant daffodils and cockerels (Wales v France in the rugby) the second time, in Swansea, on the way down a loud group of football fans were quite impressed with my aviators goggles and when looking at the vehicles in the Maratime Museum i swear one or two people thought we were employed to walk around dressed as we were.

If confrontation with violence is a possibility, my very large boots and ability to outrun the unfit smoking and drinking youths most likely to threaten me ,in said boots, is are useful.

The music is reversable, but time...is not.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 08:53:35 pm »

I cope by going for the eyes. (Note: my eyes are protected by, yup you guessed it, goggles Wink)
But scince the day I swore vengance on all who would dare cross me, it's like the world knew, and people stopped bothering me as much.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:58:46 pm by JingleJoe » Logged

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 08:58:46 pm »

To paraphrase Norton I - "People like things that make them laugh. So let them laugh. I am *still* their Emperor."

That is to say - so what if you get heckled, jibed, ribbed, laughed at, etc. You are yourself and what they think really shouldn't/doesn't matter.

As for the beatings - self defense classes, a walking stick/umbrella, a quick wit, fast feet, and a pleasant temperament (don't be an instigator, walk away when possible) are about all I can offer. Sad that such things happen.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:02:07 pm by rogue_designer » Logged

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 09:03:07 pm »

I'm much wittier than they.

Also, I'm a big surly Rugby guy who speaks like an Irishman while drinking. I don't take no guff.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 09:03:53 pm »

The wall at the bottom of my garden isn't four feet tall.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Mr.Boilerplate
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 09:06:43 pm »

There will always be insufferable idiots and hate-mongers, and as many have said the best route to take is ignoring them. Now obviously if someone wants to readjust your jawline with a clenched fist it is rather hard to ignore them.  Self defense can go a long way, as from my experience most people who would attack someone different somehow assume that the unique members of society are easy targets.  So a willingness to retaliate and an ability to can cause an individual to reassess and leave before things get beyond a certain point.  Id wager this is why most cases of individuals getting brutally savaged by these cowards that I hear of involve groups of them, as they require the confidence of an unfair advantage to enable them to go all the way.  One of my martial arts instructors told us that when faced with an aggressive group, and things are forced to conflict, the best course of action is to target one attacker probably the first to come in or the closest, and to take them down as fast and brutally as possible.  Hopefully a certain shock will hold up the others and or their self preservation will grant a window of escape.

Granted thats a bit pessimistic, assuming conflict, but its always good to be ready for the worst.  Id say if you have a genuine concern of such things happening, the best option would be to move with a group.

By the way, forgive my ignorance, but who are these Chavs I keep seeing mentioned.  Some form of gang I'm assuming?
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 09:07:35 pm »

Oh by the by a very useful "come back" I suggest to everyone;

Answer thier questions with questions!

Confuses the crap out of most unwanted inquisitors and rude ruffians, example:

Them: "Ay lad do you beleive in the devil?"
Me: (in a diabolical tone) "Do you?"
Them: "er ... I .. uh ... Dunno lad ... Huh"
Me: "Heh heh heh heh heh.... "
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 09:12:11 pm »

The wall at the bottom of my garden isn't four feet tall.

Now then, the explanation. I bet that when you read that post, you were wondering "What's that idiot rambling about?" and couldn't think straight for a few seconds. That's the point. Saying that, or something similarly nonsensical to someone makes them stop and think, if only for a second, giving ME time to react, either by slipping away or otherwise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: