The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 04:59:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "My Card" - A gentleman's Weapon?  (Read 4864 times)
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 10:42:46 pm »

My cousin, who was an amateur magician for a while, obtained a card made from very thin sheet metal.  He was able to put it into a piece of quarter inch sheetrock so that it protruded about an inch from the other side.

My word! Any notion where he obtained such a thing? I don't think I'd run out of stuff to use one of those for?

All this mention of playing cards as weapons and I've yet to hear anyone mention other gentleman's items like bowler hats, wing tips, or canes?
Who can forget the James Bond villain who decapitated a bust of Paris with his hat?
I believe they did that on mythbusters as well.
I also believe some schools of art of Le Savate teach cane fighting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savate

Steampunk Radio Play.
Now taking auditions.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16578.0
Marrock
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 11:05:28 pm »

I once got several 5ΒΌ" floppies to stick in a sheetrock wall at a job I no longer have.

Damn near dislocated my shoulder doing it too, but needs must will out when a wager is involved.

I believe they did that on mythbusters as well.
I also believe some schools of art of Le Savate teach cane fighting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savate

There's also www.canemasters.com.

I have one of their hickory street canes, very nice chunk of wood that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:07:31 pm by Marrock » Logged
Mr Clockwork
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 04:02:32 pm »

they tested card throwing on mythbusters and it wasn't lethal  Cry Cry

Thing is Mythbusters leave a lot to be desired in regards to correct scientific testing and examination.
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 04:33:17 pm »

Thing is Mythbusters leave a lot to be desired in regards to correct scientific testing and examination.

Things like that anger zombie Feynman.
http://www.xkcd.com/397/
Jaqhama
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Jet-biking across the multiverse

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 04:50:09 am »

Type canne de combat into Google and there's heaps of links on the Net and also live displays on Youtube.
I bought the entire DVD le canne cane combat series from the Australian Le Canne school...and wasn't impressed.
Escrima, Kali and Arnis leave it for dead.

The sportive form of Le Canne is great to watch...pity it's such a little known and practiced sport.
Some great vids on youtube showing the sport in action.
But...the sport form is NOT meant for real life defence situations, notice how many times the contestants turn their backs...not something one wants to get in the habit of doing in a real combat situation.

A much better DVD series of stick fighting videos is:
http://www.happyninja.com/p-1287-frank-cuccis-navy-seal-team-combat-series-vol-5-dvd.aspx

Don't bother buying the first three DVD's. The first is boxing. The second is kicking. The third is combinations of both.
(Unless of course you are a complete beginner and just want to learn some basic self defence combinations. Frank Cucci's vids are very good for that.)
The fourth one is good..knife fighting techniques.
The fifth one is the stick fighting vid.

And yes, Frank really was a US Navy S.E.A.L.

Cheers: Jaq.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 04:58:55 am by Jaqhama » Logged

clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

i beg to differ chaps i think it is perfectly plausable that you could kill someone with a deck of cards, but only if u had the entire deck and just mashed them in the face over and over again so to speak... actualy the idea of glueing an ace of spades to a large bat may work

I am a freak in control not a control freak
faethor
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 01:08:52 pm »

At one time playing cards were coated with cellulose (something like that, early motion picture film was made from the same substance) which, if torn in to tiny pieces and placed in a tube (like part of a bed frame) was said to have the force to blow open a cell door..

-j
Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 05:50:55 pm »

I remember seeing Ricky Jay on some afternoon talk show when I was in High School, and bought a copy of the book. (It's not really that good though...well his topless assistant was OK...) but I still have the copy.....

Never thought of it being out of print, so I decided to look it up on Amazon....

Cards As Weapons (Paperback)
by Ricky Jay (Author)

10 used from $145.00

WOW... now all I have to do is find a buyer......
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: