The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 04:29:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "My Card" - A gentleman's Weapon?  (Read 4869 times)
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« on: July 08, 2008, 12:15:25 am »

Having read Carter Beats the Devil I was amazed to find out about this long out of print volume...

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:17:09 am »

On TV they got some adverts for poker sites. One of them has a poker player throwing a card and slicing the top off a carrot.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:19:23 am »

I remember, a long, long, time ago, I think it was on the magician David Nixon's TV show, an American whose act was cutting things with thrown playing cards: newspapers, clothing, and even into a water melon!  Shocked

'Carter Beats the Devil'- what a fantastic book, everyone should read it! Smiley

ShredsnPatches
Zeppelin Captain
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:45:56 am »

One of my friends can throw cards. He hasn't mastered slicing the tops of carrots or anything, but the cards really sting!

Havoc for Hire!

"RUN! THEY'RE FIRING POLICEMEN!"

Mending is better than ending, no matter what Aldous Huxley might think Wink
NazT
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:39:07 am »

Its a stonking idea!!  Cards as weapons and other things!! Imagine a steampunk tarot deck mixed with a survival kit for example!! 

Another ref to playing cards with more uses is in "Red Skies over Red Seas" (I think) number 2 in The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch http://www.fantasybookspot.com/node/1885 where the cards break down into a kind of glue substance (or maybe its an explosive? drat I cannot remember) when mixed with a certain type of alchohol. 

I must admit that it does appeal to my ninja side....  Grin
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:13:23 pm »

my brother does it. hes not the best so  he cant cut anything but dang it hurts

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:30:32 pm »

The author of "Cards As Weapons", Ricky Jay, is quite a well known character on the talk show and stage/lecture circuit (he's a sleight of hand magician of considerable expertise) as well as a character actor (most recently in "The Prestige" and a regular on HBO's "Deadwood").  He acquitted himself reasonably well on Mythbusters a few years back throwing cards like knives although using unaltered cards as weapons was essentially a busted myth.  Also it is hard to differentiate fact from trickery, given he is an excellent magician, as he may substitute something like these commercially available razor edged playing cards in place of the traditional type with his audience never the wiser for it. markf     http://www.martialartsgear.com/ninjagear/ninjaacc/4446.htm

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
theMadTinker
Snr. Officer

Why do they always obfuscate the screws?

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:11:32 pm »

My third and fourth grade teacher taught us how to throw cards so that they would stick into a watermelon, but that was a long time ago, and I never really got the hang of it quite in the first place.

It's not a skirt, it's a kilt; and ye ken why it's called a kilt?  Because I kilt everyone who called it a skirt.

You won't get far trying to argue semantics with an English major.

The Urban Phantasy Blog
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:57:33 am »

I can throw cards, but they don't cut anything.  You have to snap the wrist just so, it's a little like throwing a dart but "sideways"...oh, it's just not possible to explain in this medium...  Cheesy

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:35:12 am »

I vaguely recall some story I read in which a character(s) was frantically tearing all the hearts and diamonds out of a deck of cards because the red ink could be used as an explosive ... what was that, anyway?

PS: Carter Beats the Devil is way cool.

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
flimflam
Officer

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:12:54 am »

they tested card throwing on mythbusters and it wasn't lethal  Cry Cry

hola senoro
A.G.Morgan
Snr. Officer

Mechanocycle rider of Indian Territory

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 05:20:07 am »

they tested card throwing on mythbusters and it wasn't lethal  Cry Cry

Damn. Beat me to it.

Get off the tracks! Here comes the train o' thought!
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 04:18:06 pm »

I vaguely recall some story I read in which a character(s) was frantically tearing all the hearts and diamonds out of a deck of cards because the red ink could be used as an explosive ... what was that, anyway?

Hmmm ... The Ætherwebs know everything ... more or less ...

http://gargles.net/suicide-at-san-quentin/

... which is probably what the story I read was based on. This was not it ...

http://www.totse.com/en/ego/on_line_zines/bhoa_3.html

... as I've never read Still Life with a Woodpecker. I'm fairly sure "my" story is considerably older than that one.

Anyway, there is a way to use playing cards as lethal weapons after all.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 06:51:53 pm »

I remember the 'red ink as explosive' thing, but I'm damned if I can recall where from...

I'll let it stew, and report back.
Think_Long
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 07:46:21 pm »

sounds to me like gambit. i know it's something else, but how many times do exploding playing cards come up in fiction anyway?
Jaqhama
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Jet-biking across the multiverse

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 06:36:59 am »

Yes...Gambit was the first character I thought of when the cards were mentioned.
Although he used his inherent psychic power to make them explode.

In the Trevanian novel Shimbumi the lead character practices and is lethal with, the art of using everyday objects as deadly weapons.
Kills a plane hijacker with a plastic cup, folded so that the point is stiffened.

I'm guessing that if Willie Garvin, knife thrower extradinaire, can't kill with a thrown playing card, then no one can. Grin
(Willie is Modesty Blaise's henchman in the series of books by Peter O'Donnell.)

I can throw lots of sharp, pointy things and make them stick in. Never tried a playing card myself. I reckon one made of thin steel would do the trick though.
Would basically just be a kind of shuriken.

Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 05:06:37 am »

Having read Carter Beats the Devil I was amazed to find out about this long out of print volume...

If one searches parts of Usenet or certain distributed repositories of files of alll kinds, one may find a facsimile of this tome formatted as a PDF.  Sadly, there are no plans for bringing the original text back into print.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:14:33 am by Difference Engineer » Logged

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 05:09:21 am »

Folklore in certain circles has it that certain old decks of playing cards were printed with a red ink that, when soaked in alcohol and mixed with potassium permanganate, would yield a contact explosive, suitable for blasting one's way out of prison or committing suicide via the chunky salsa technique.  I doubt that this has worked in several decades, at the very least.
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 07:07:24 am »

As evidenced by "Mythbusters", a paper card can sting and cut a bit, but it is most certainly a diversion in a hostile engagement.

This is the essence of most shurikenjutsu, regardless of the chosen weapon(s) - if you throw something, (more is better) no matter what it/they may be, the opponent will duck and give you an opening.  If it hits and happens to do damage, that is "just gravy". While he ducks, get elsewhere, or strike.

Pointing over the opponent's shoulder and yelling "LOOK! It's the Winged Victory of Samothrace!" has also been known to work long enough to get away.

CapnHarlock
33rd Degree Master of Runjutsu
Smiley

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Jaqhama
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Jet-biking across the multiverse

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 09:02:40 am »

A poison coated Shuriken worked nicely also.

Throw it, run away. Get the good news later. Cool
Sir Newton Bridges
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 09:30:19 am »

shurikenjutsu

Runjutsu

yes, but none of your techniques are useful against my..... (strikes ninja pose) squirrel-fu! guard your nuts!.....

(sorry, couldn't resist)

i am living in mine zyrian fantasty
Griffin
Gunner

Dashing, Young stowaway

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 05:55:03 am »

The best card thrower i know can get the cards over an inch into a block of styrophoam. He tried to teach me but I'm not nearly as good as he is.

Let the windows Fog
Let the Mirrors blur
For our engines are driven
By water's spur.
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 07:02:47 pm »

A quick tutorial courtesy of the chaps at wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_throwing
http://www.davidslife.com/funstuff/cards/technique.htm

Steampunk Radio Play.
Now taking auditions.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16578.0
Randolf J. Strauss
Swab

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 09:57:31 pm »

When you work the graveyard shift as a security guard, which I did for a number of years, you can get quite good at a number of useless things.  I can stick a card into a dropped ceiling.  I can stick a card into many different kinds of fruit.  I have never, with an ordinary card, been able to chop off the tip of a carrot.

My cousin, who was an amateur magician for a while, obtained a card made from very thin sheet metal.  He was able to put it into a piece of quarter inch sheetrock so that it protruded about an inch from the other side.

This is impossible to do with a regular playing card as the card stock doesn't have enough mass.  If you want to use playing cards as a weapon, I suggest throwing them all into the air to distract your opponent while placing a well aimed kick to the groin.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 10:22:39 pm »

All this mention of playing cards as weapons and I've yet to hear anyone mention other gentleman's items like bowler hats, wing tips, or canes?
Who can forget the James Bond villain who decapitated a bust of Paris with his hat?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: