The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 01:55:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?  (Read 47543 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #350 on: December 06, 2016, 04:56:00 am »

It seems DJ Bobo is getting in on the act. DJ Bobo!

In Mexican Spanish, "Bobo" is children's talk for "dummy." D J Dummy....

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #351 on: December 06, 2016, 11:25:14 am »

And next tour he will dress as something else......
And all will once again be right with the world.

Well I say "dressed". He didn't even do that for the flyer. He's been paper dolled. I fear the photoshop artist responsible for that was "rushed" and as a result it didn't receive the TLC that it perhaps needed. I find this quite disappointing looking at some of his stuff on youtube I would have to say that a fair amount of effort was lavished on the sets for his live shows, (Fantasy the show), (Circus) etc.

Hmm, very big in Switzerland apparently. I will await some footage from the album and tour.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:43:42 am by Clym Angus » Logged

Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #352 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:15 am »

In Mexican Spanish, "Bobo" is children's talk for "dummy." D J Dummy....

Having just listened to some of his "music" I'd say that was about right

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #353 on: December 07, 2016, 11:48:58 am »

Oooo ok, maybe I was being a little over enthusiastically charitable.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #354 on: December 07, 2016, 12:10:57 pm »

Shame he hasn't got millions of fans, it would mean loads of stuff going cheap in charity shops in 6 months.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #355 on: December 07, 2016, 12:16:04 pm »

Ever  the wistful pragmatist sir. My phone is refusing to play any of his music.....
Maybe it knows something I don't.
--------
Well, he's not terrible. A touch insipid for my tastes. Safe. Beat boxy. Poppy. Loopy. Keyboardy. Cardboard. Hmmm gets a bit chewy after the third track. Like Kellogg's All Bran and soya milk substitute

As far as I can see, unless he departs radically from his own personal music style..... (unlikely) He'll just do more "Doom-cha, Doom-cha, Doom-cha" but this time; he'll be sporting a rather fetching hat......

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:53:57 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #356 on: December 07, 2016, 06:48:14 pm »

Who?

After the best part of a decade immersed in steampunk culture, I have to admit that mainstream hasn't so much left me behind as I've wilfully abandoned it to carry on its merry way.  The question for me would be better phrased as 'is mainstream culture becoming steampunk?' rather than the other way around.   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #357 on: December 07, 2016, 11:51:41 pm »

A question I often ask myself is am I becoming too mainstream?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #358 on: December 09, 2016, 09:21:55 pm »

Naaa, but if you do. Just tell a couple of people who are nice, safe, settled,  twee, mouthy and fundamentally wrong to go **** themselves and you'll be right back out there on the edge again.
It's my plan and so far, it's worked a treat.

People forget the "punk" in steampunk. Actually might just stand for something. Maybe, but we're not going to hold anyone to it. Or make it a thing. That's not what we do and if we do, we're not punk.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:29:22 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #359 on: December 09, 2016, 10:55:05 pm »

Just tell a couple of people who are nice, safe, settled,  twee, mouthy and fundamentally wrong to go **** themselves

I do that on a daily basis.  In fact Steampunk events are about the only times I don't.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2016, 05:10:20 pm »

Naaa, but if you do. Just tell a couple of people who are nice, safe, settled,  twee, mouthy and fundamentally wrong to go **** themselves and you'll be right back out there on the edge again.

People forget the "punk" in steampunk. Actually might just stand for something. Maybe, but we're not going to hold anyone to it. Or make it a thing. That's not what we do and if we do, we're not punk.  

For me, the "punk" is a rejection of mainstream values. I choose to rebel against the creeping meatballism of the bourgeoisie by dressing better than required and being courteous to everyone regardless of their station.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #361 on: December 12, 2016, 02:17:48 pm »

Naaa, but if you do. Just tell a couple of people who are nice, safe, settled,  twee, mouthy and fundamentally wrong to go **** themselves and you'll be right back out there on the edge again.

For me, the "punk" is a rejection of mainstream values. I choose to rebel against the creeping meatballism of the bourgeoisie by dressing better than required and being courteous to everyone regardless of their station.

The unarmed struggle against normalcy, dependency, tracksuits and fluffy acrylic towelling in a tableau of eye burning colours can and does take many pleasing forms. These strident departures mentioned above: Are but two of them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:19:52 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2016, 02:52:26 pm »

Does anybody but mobsters wear tracksuits?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2016, 05:10:32 pm »

Well .... around here it seems to be that the more you need to go to the gym (but don't as you are too busy sitting in cafes eating 500 calorie muffins and drinking whipped cream topped hot chocolate with those extra marshmallows), the more likely you are to wear a 'trackie'.
Perhaps they think that something about a tracksuit is magic and eliminates the need for actual exercise.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #364 on: December 12, 2016, 06:07:47 pm »

I prefer that style of rebellion as well.  If one wishes to dress down and appear completely wild, that is what Punk originally appeared to do.  To me, SteamPunk aims to deviate from the current social norms by going back to higher standards of dress and decorum.

Obviously, not all steampunks roll this way.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #365 on: December 14, 2016, 01:41:47 pm »

Some sportsmen, apparently. I don't believe it myself.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #366 on: December 14, 2016, 06:36:39 pm »

Uuum, some obnoxious and now notorious, cigar smoking twat, now then, now then, etc. (a UK thing) Don't trust 'em I say, give me a sharp dressed man...........

Cue the ZZ Top.......  Grin

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #367 on: December 15, 2016, 12:12:31 pm »

Uuum, some obnoxious and now notorious, cigar smoking twat, now then, now then, etc. (a UK thing) Don't trust 'em I say, give me a sharp dressed man...........

Cue the ZZ Top.......  Grin

I'd forgotten about him, mercifully. On the plus side he ruined the style; no one would be see dead in a gold laramie tracksuit anymore. Or they would actually be dead about five minutes later.
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #368 on: December 15, 2016, 01:40:53 pm »

The question for me would be better phrased as 'is mainstream culture becoming steampunk?' rather than the other way around.  

Now that....is an excellent question.

And one I find rather exciting as I follow the school of steampunk that views it as a prediction of our future rather than of an alternate past.

It may mean I will see it happen in my lifetime....huzzah!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:37:01 pm by Shadow Of The Tower » Logged

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #369 on: January 05, 2017, 07:00:04 am »

Well, having just inadvertently turning the idjit-box over to 'The Bold and the Beautiful' to find them all dressed in brass cogs and shiny goggles... I guess that's it...

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #370 on: January 08, 2017, 11:12:03 pm »

Well, having just inadvertently turning the idjit-box over to 'The Bold and the Beautiful' to find them all dressed in brass cogs and shiny goggles... I guess that's it...

Steampunk has ""Jumped the Shark"
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #371 on: January 08, 2017, 11:39:27 pm »

Naah - if anyone is jumping it's daytime soaps. This is definitely a case of the mainstream becoming too Steampunk.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #372 on: January 09, 2017, 12:20:14 pm »

Naah - if anyone is jumping it's daytime soaps. This is definitely a case of the mainstream becoming too Steampunk.
The mainstream can never become too Steampunk.  Just think of all the bargains to be had when they get fed up with it & move on to the next fad.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2017, 11:26:54 am »

In the last week I have sat open-mouthed in horror as one of those teleshopping channels did a 'steampunk' show that was mostly bits of tat intended for jewellery.  I have also seen adverts for 'steampunk' Playmobil figures....

I fear that when the mainstream has chewed us up and spat us out there won't be any bargains to be had that any of us would give house room to.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #374 on: January 15, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »

In the last week I have sat open-mouthed in horror as one of those teleshopping channels did a 'steampunk' show that was mostly bits of tat intended for jewellery.  I have also seen adverts for 'steampunk' Playmobil figures....

I fear that when the mainstream has chewed us up and spat us out there won't be any bargains to be had that any of us would give house room to.

People with just a passing interest in Steampunk will go for the mainstream 'cash-ins' and mass produced items.
Some of that may have tangential interest for 'regular' Steampunks but mostly we'll carry on making and creating our own things and styles from 'found' sources.
Eventually the 'Steam-curious' either lose interest completely and move on, or take it fully to heart and start rummaging the thrift stores and charity shops with the rest of us.
And if they've joined us we can't really argue with that even if it makes the hunt a little harder due to diminished resources.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: