The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:42:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?  (Read 47993 times)
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #325 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:44 pm »

How about a different slant on this? 

I don't think Steampunk is becoming too mainstream, but rather (in far too many instances IMHO) is becoming a parody of it's former self.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #326 on: January 13, 2016, 06:11:41 pm »

How about a different slant on this? 

I don't think Steampunk is becoming too mainstream, but rather (in far too many instances IMHO) is becoming a parody of it's former self.

Which one? Mainstream or Steampunk?

Mainstream technically has fed on itself constantly. Which is why some bright spark tossed the lot in a bucket, called it post-modernism and went off to the pub to get drunk.

Steampunk becoming a parody of it's former self? Has it been around long enough to start doing that? Well, arguably when people realise they can make a career out of it or at least sail on the gravy boat then yes, it does to a certain extent cheapen the idiom. Then this is nothing new; faith has its TV evangelists for decades. Last time I checked Christianity was still doing quite well thank you very much.

It is one thing for someone to say they an authority, it is quite another for people to actually listen to them. However loud a man/woman/robot thing shouts you always as an individual reserve the right to give it the finger and tell it to piss off. Cheesy

Richard H
Deck Hand

« Reply #327 on: January 13, 2016, 08:01:54 pm »

First of all I am a complete newby to Steampunk as I have only just discovered it, like most things it seems there are many fractions and opinions within it, so the question really comes down to how seriously you take it as a person, to me it just looks like a bit of fun, so I dare say those that take it serious would be likely to not like my version of Steampunk and that's fine with  me as I'm happy for others to have a different opini on to mine.I have seen all this with bikers, same arguments just a different group of people.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #328 on: January 14, 2016, 08:07:04 am »

Well said, Mr Richard.

With steampunk, my view is if you're not having fun you're not doing it right.  Being serious is for serious people, and I'm not!

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #329 on: January 14, 2016, 11:50:24 pm »

It is one thing for someone to say they an authority, it is quite another for people to actually listen to them.

Trouble is newbies don't know that they are by & large just doing it for self promotion & think that these "experts" are some form of oracle whose word is law.  Plus the whole thing has a tendency to become a tad cartoonish.  While I'm all for people doing Steampunk how they want & have fun doing it, one sometimes wonders if some folks have a concept of style, taste & class.
Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #330 on: January 15, 2016, 04:30:54 pm »

It is one thing for someone to say they an authority, it is quite another for people to actually listen to them.

Trouble is newbies don't know that they are by & large just doing it for self promotion & think that these "experts" are some form of oracle whose word is law.  Plus the whole thing has a tendency to become a tad cartoonish.  While I'm all for people doing Steampunk how they want & have fun doing it, one sometimes wonders if some folks have a concept of style, taste & class.

That's a likely problem with "experts" asserting authority over the genre.  They suck the fun out.

On the tangible side of Steampunk (art, clothing, objects), I see steampunk as having certain traits or style elements (ex. natural or faux-natural materials like wood, leather, brass).  But those are merely guidelines, not a rigid checklist as the next cool steampunk picture posted online could break those rules and yet "everybody into steampunk" would be gaga over it.  Not everything is steam punk, just as not everything is Surrealism or Impressionism.  Clearly then, that demarcation is due to the traits it has that are in or out of the definition.

What I see then (as a positive) is that the steampunk culture in most cases is very accepting of a wide and broad definition of other people's idea of steampunk.  Except perhaps those "experts" which some other blogger on the internet labeled "Definers" as they are a little to intent on defining and cataloging what is and is not steampunk.

In any event, this topic has droned on for a long time.  Has anybody actually answered the title question?

Is it actually possible for something to be "too mainstream"?  That sounds like a hipster concern, where they only want to like things nobody else does, often with the goal of "discovering" the next big thing, and once it becomes big, they move on with disdain for it.

It seems like a superficial question.  Especially in light of the other thread about whether steampunk is dead.  If it's dead, it's not mainstream anymore (if it ever was).

I would ask the question "Has steampunk BECOME mainstream?"  The Too implies excess, and that implies a preference, which is far more subjective than objective.

Which to me, the answer is no, I don't think steampunk has become mainstream.  That, I believe would mean widespread adoption of style elements, etc.  We're not seeing a resurgence of corsets, brass bits, formal wear, and old-timey looking iPhone cases.

Steampunk HAS been introduced several times in mainstream.  the TV show Castle did an episode based on a murder among Steampunks.  They also did one on Zombies.  They (and other shows) tend to introduce these "did you know there's a bunch of people who like this unusual thing" episodes.  I don't think that makes the given subject mainstream.  But it does introduce a lot more people into it.

Thus, even Zombies, which gets way more press than steampunk, isn't necessarily mainstream.  Yes, a lot of people have seen the Walking Dead.  It's closer to mainstream, but still not dominating the water cooler talk everywhere like last night's football game (which is the epitomy of mainstream I think)*.

*and yes, I work where Zombies is the common water cooler discussion.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #331 on: January 15, 2016, 09:03:44 pm »

In any event, this topic has droned on for a long time.  Has anybody actually answered the title question?

Yes we have dragged this for some time.  My guess is that we have answered this question many times but we just can't remember!

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #332 on: January 16, 2016, 02:46:40 am »

Sir Diesel, we have had enough face to face chats to know a small modicum of each others minds on this most engaging of subjects.

People will do what they want. As Donald "duck" Dunn so aptly put it: "if the shit fits, wear it."
If someone want to put the effort in to be more than it is, then let them. Bright things blow and burn people near by. I find a slow cook and gentle glow is more my speed. Not flashy but it's honest. 
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2016, 04:04:21 pm »

So this is what the WWE wrestler Becky Lynch wears for fighting. Taken from her Twitter feed.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2016, 04:41:19 pm »

So this is what the WWE wrestler Becky Lynch wears for fighting. Taken from her Twitter feed.

I mentioned that yesterday morning on this thread:  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42751.0.html
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2016, 04:54:55 pm »

That's where I saw it.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #336 on: April 06, 2016, 11:37:54 am »

Wrestling in goggles? Isn't that a tad impractical? One tug and a twist and suddenly it's a garrotte.
I know they regularly twat each other with chairs and tables and chunks of 4be2 but cord assisted strangulation? It's a bit granny killer isn't it?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #337 on: April 06, 2016, 04:02:30 pm »

twat each other with chairs and tables...

Surely, you meant "swat."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2016, 04:15:41 pm »

Wrestling in goggles? Isn't that a tad impractical? One tug and a twist and suddenly it's a garrotte.
I know they regularly twat each other with chairs and tables and chunks of 4be2 but cord assisted strangulation? It's a bit granny killer isn't it?

Curtis Hughes used to wrestle in goggles a shirt & tie (& braces, the amount of times they went twang he needed the goggles.  nearly took his eye out on one occasion)

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #339 on: April 06, 2016, 05:19:31 pm »

Case in point:

Hughes' last televised match was against Tatanka and lost via countout when his sunglasses cracked into his eyes and was released the next day.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #340 on: April 06, 2016, 06:54:00 pm »

I don't think Lynch wrestles in her goggles, but the outfit that she wore at Wrestlemania definitely had SP overtones.
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #341 on: April 08, 2016, 04:18:52 am »

twat each other with chairs and tables...
Surely, you meant "swat."

Nope - he meant "twat" ... it's English slang for "hitting someone hard with something".  E.g. "I'm going to twat you with this brick", or "He twat me with a brick." (though some may say "twatted" ... it's basically used in the same sense as "swat" / "swatted").  However, don't get confused for the other English slang use of the word "twat", which can also be used to describe a person as a complete idiot (i.e. "He's a complete twat!").

... Back on topic ...

From what I have read, I think the question of "Is Steampunk too mainstream" has been answered.  My simple rule for what is mainstream is - if you can buy it all in one shop, it's mainstream ... but ... if you have to buy it from several different shops that all sell different kinds of stuff, then it's NOT mainstream.

The only thing I have to add to this is that in my opinion, mostly young people worry about things being "mainstream".  Steampunk has some "guidelines", but the rest is up to you ... so how can anything be so specifically undefined, and be "mainstream"  ...  it just can't in my opinion, which is why I love it Cheesy

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #342 on: October 26, 2016, 09:21:15 pm »

In the latest episode of The Flash, they get a glimpse into a steampunk alternate universe.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #343 on: October 26, 2016, 09:46:21 pm »

OP's question is one that I've seen asked for literally ever sinceI've been at these forums. 'Is Steampunk too mainstream.'

*Shrug.* As with all things you will see it fad, fade, get re imagined and reinterpreted, and people that will cry 'ruined forever' and or other doomsday speech because it isn't what they want of it anymore.

So I suppos the question is 'toto you, do you feel it's too mainstream?'

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #344 on: October 26, 2016, 10:02:26 pm »

The only thing I have to add to this is that in my opinion, mostly young people worry about things being "mainstream".  Steampunk has some "guidelines", but the rest is up to you ... so how can anything be so specifically undefined, and be "mainstream"  ...  it just can't in my opinion, which is why I love it Cheesy

I think you hit an important nail on the head.

There are some people who are really concerned that something the like not be "mainstream", basically be obscure that nobody else has heard of.

The hipsters are the epitomy of this, but obviously, young people also don't want to like "what everybody else likes"  Which really comes down to deliberately not liking what the parents like.  As one teacher I had noted, teens like to be seen as rebellious and non-conformist, but they are the largest demographic of people who enforce conformity and seek acceptance among themselves.

Anyway, this hipter trait, has got nothing to do with the Thing, itself.  Steampunk is cool if people like it.  Not because only 3 people in the world like it, or because somebody was first to discover it.

Can I buy steampunk things in a regular store?  Maybe.  i found old-timey looking LED lightbulbs in Lowes the other day (an American bigbox hardware store).  That's mainstream.

Is it it "Too"  Mainstream?  Only for hipsters who care about exclusivity.  which is a negative trait in most cases, so screw their opinion.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #345 on: October 28, 2016, 06:13:19 pm »

let me sum up

Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?
nah.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #346 on: October 28, 2016, 06:55:24 pm »

Given that if you get three steampunks in a room you get four opinions on what it is, I can't see how it can possibly become mainstream.  You might, I grant you, see elements of it gaining mainstream notice, but the whole thing?  No hope. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #347 on: October 28, 2016, 09:27:45 pm »

It seems like this discussion has come to a general agreement that steampunk isn't completely mainstream, so I'd like to ask a slightly different question: is being "too" mainstream a good or bad thing either way?

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #348 on: November 01, 2016, 11:13:16 pm »

It seems like this discussion has come to a general agreement that steampunk isn't completely mainstream, so I'd like to ask a slightly different question: is being "too" mainstream a good or bad thing either way?

To the Hipster stereotype mentality, it's a bad thing (though hipsters seem to take pride in finding things, promoting them, and then complaining when everybody likes it).

For "normal" people, I don't see how it's bad.  Is Coca Cola bad for being mainstream?  It's a thing with a lot of customers that is easy to acquire and nobody looks at you funny for liking.  There's nothing wrong with liking weird things, but there's also nothing inherently good about it either.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #349 on: December 05, 2016, 08:34:26 pm »

It seems DJ Bobo is getting in on the act. DJ Bobo!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: