The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 11:35:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?  (Read 46976 times)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #300 on: November 02, 2015, 06:29:32 pm »

I understand your dismay, but I compare it to martial arts.

25 years I studied, taught, ate, slept, breathed it.  We had uniforms and it had a serious honor system of rank.

But every halloween kids and grown idiots dress like "ninja" and act the fool.

Does any of that tarnish the history and honor of having a grandmaster teach you in person?  Or does it reduce the student's hard won skill?

These "costume wearers" cant diminish the value of a hand sewn corsette or a well done prop.   In fact, consider the person as "showing interest" but in an ignorant way.   They might be taught better.

I promise if I show to a gathering with a chincy costume and,see it beside the works,of true makers, I would be inspired to do better.

Fair comment, If I may agree with a line or two from "The Dead Poets Society"

Hopkins: The cat sat on the mat.

Keating: Congratulations, Mr. Hopkins, yours is the first poem to have a negative score on the Pritchard scale. We're not laughing at you. We're laughing near you. I don't mind that your poem had a simple theme. Sometimes the most beautiful poetry can be about simple things, like a cat or a flower or rain. Poetry can come from anything with the stuff of revelation in it. Just don't let your poems be ordinary.

--------------------

Allowing myself a touch of self examination, I honestly do not feel that more people "cheapens the brand". In retrospect there must of course be many enthusiastic faltering steps before a pleasing form and state of mind can be achieved. To me this subculture is a journey to be encouraged in others, not a statement. I will admit to the occasional "oh dear" when I come across something truly abominable, but not for ego or status sake. It is what it is a lost opportunity.

You are of course correct. All of this flotsam should wash over all of us like the tide leaving us unmarked by its passing. Yet even the hardest granite can occasionally find the salt spray to be a little wearing at times.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:49:50 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #301 on: November 02, 2015, 06:45:00 pm »

I don't fear the popularisation or getting cheaper of steampunk.

I fear the loss of quality (and creativity)

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #302 on: November 02, 2015, 10:58:02 pm »

I don't fear the popularisation or getting cheaper of steampunk.

I fear the loss of quality (and creativity)

Nothing will stop the creative from creating. Fancy dress props will move on to the next craze, but we will still be here, relishing quality and inspired by it to try our own projects. Even if someone sees the rubbish first, if they like the idea they will find the beautiful, the wondrous and the fantastic too, and they will be as amazed and delighted as we all must have been when we first discovered it.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #303 on: November 20, 2015, 09:52:15 pm »

I was just at the supermarket, where I passed the shelves with magazines on. I noticed this standing there:

It's a collection of different newspaper and comic strips. I flicked through it, but didn't find a reason for the cover. Perhaps just a halloween thing. I fund out number 4 from last year had a similar image.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #304 on: November 21, 2015, 08:36:14 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

And a magical floaty hat no less......

To be fair, one cannot really properly manage a menacing upward glance from a lowered face in a cocked hat.  The front point always gets in the way.

I imagine this is some sort of collage of images.

Like properly lacing a corset, there's a technique to properly managing a 'menacing upward glance from a lowered face in a cocked hat'.

You have to go for the oblique.

In Spain, steampunk and pirates go hand in hand to the greater glory of all.
After all, airships and their like are simply begging for pirate activity, ¿sabes?
While punking the Pirates of the Caribbean is popular, of course, the more daring punk the Sandokan look or lean into tribal.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #305 on: November 21, 2015, 10:16:17 am »

this is what scares me:
http://www.feestwinkelxl.nl/steampunk-kostuum

I don;t think I have to translate what the site says for you to understand, right?

AAAAHHHHHHHHH! What the whating what is that!?

Mr Reid. Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, even you have to admit that this moustache is an affront to common decency. It is an unnatural abomination. We are in the business of making the world dapper sir, we do not make monsters. Ok some of us do, but not naff ones. That upper lip has spawned Satan himself and I'm speed dialling the Vatican rapid response unit on hands free as I type.

Oh goodness, it's simply someone who has stuck some gears onto a standard pirate costume.

While I personally would not put something so spokey immediately next to my eye, I see no harm in it.

The more minds contemplating the steampunk ethos, the more chances of something interesting burbling up.

cough cough
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #306 on: November 21, 2015, 11:37:53 am »

^^^
Now that puts me in mind of Zaphod Beeblebrox from Hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy. Cheesy

It's so far down the scale of bad taste that it's come out the other side as sublime social irony.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #307 on: November 21, 2015, 01:51:52 pm »

I will be honest. 

I think gears placed on an outfit where they will snag or get in the way are a poor idea.

But as a decorative motif they are rather pretty, like chrysanthemums.

I know people hate the "glue a gear on it and call it Steampunk" attitude.

But I don't mind things decorated with industrial imagery, as the Victorians loved decorating every surface to within an inch of its life and loved new technology and progress. 

I can think of uses for the gear-decorated fabric that waistcoat is made of, anyhow.

And whatever one may think of that outfit, if an eager newbie showed up at an event dressed in it I would treat them as courteously and welcoming as I would anyone else.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2015, 02:01:06 pm »

I will be honest. 

(...)

But I don't mind things decorated with industrial imagery, as the Victorians loved decorating every surface to within an inch of its life and loved new technology and progress. 

I can think of uses for the gear-decorated fabric that waistcoat is made of, anyhow.

And whatever one may think of that outfit, if an eager newbie showed up at an event dressed in it I would treat them as courteously and welcoming as I would anyone else.

don't get me wrong, I totally agree on that. it's just...this is a mass produced outfit sold for carnaval purposes. Carnaval here is like you mix saint patrics day with halloween. lots of drinking, lots of costumes, lots of throwing your costume away because you ruined it drinking and puking.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2015, 03:34:05 pm »

Like properly lacing a corset, there's a technique to properly managing a 'menacing upward glance from a lowered face in a cocked hat'.
I always managed OK (unlike my attempts at lacing a corset for my good lady)

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #310 on: November 21, 2015, 04:28:12 pm »

I rather like the vest he's wearing actually.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #311 on: November 22, 2015, 04:04:46 pm »

I will be honest. 

I think gears placed on an outfit where they will snag or get in the way are a poor idea.

But as a decorative motif they are rather pretty, like chrysanthemums.

I know people hate the "glue a gear on it and call it Steampunk" attitude.

Fair points.  While I would prefer that whatever tech I put on my outfit have some faux-functional purpose, the gears just because is an art style unto itself.  I imagine gears being worn as decoration is not much different than our modern trend of wearing t-shirts with imagery of our favorite brand, band or superhero.  It says, "i like steampunk"

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #312 on: November 24, 2015, 07:42:16 pm »

I rather like the vest he's wearing actually.

Well that's Steampunk for you. Take the best and leave the rest. (I still find that tash most disturbing)
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #313 on: November 25, 2015, 10:09:18 am »

I always managed OK (unlike my attempts at lacing a corset for my good lady)

And that photo shows that there's no substitute for talent, of course.
Lacing a corset well? There are plenty of excellent tutorials on youtube. The joy of being properly laced up is one of those unique pleasures of steampunk,  I can assure you.

As my dear great-aunt Lucille always said:
You can always distinguish a gentlemen by the way he laces up your corset.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2015, 04:44:56 am »

So what is Madonna going for in that Ghosttown music video?
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2015, 09:03:31 am »

Judging by the video, I'd say post-Apocolyptic Goth marking a tango and then strolling through a nuclear wasteland with a teddy bear.
I could be missing something, though. I'm still on my first coffee.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #316 on: December 18, 2015, 08:27:54 pm »

Judging by the video, I'd say post-Apocolyptic Goth marking a tango and then strolling through a nuclear wasteland with a teddy bear.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Hmm, sounds like My Chemical Romance's Welcome to the Black Parade video; must be a suburb somewhere in LA...

Yours,
Miranda.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #317 on: January 08, 2016, 05:10:21 pm »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

I hope that teddy has a pay load else she's f****d.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #318 on: January 08, 2016, 05:49:14 pm »

You think it might be some kind of weapons grade teddy bear?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #319 on: January 11, 2016, 04:45:00 pm »

You think it might be some kind of weapons grade teddy bear?

They chose the bear over a 30 cal, they must have had a reason. This situation requires at least a 3 on the Oppenheimer "Niedlich" scale. Hmm large, red, it could be a class 4 but at this distance it makes identification tricky. A lot of the class 2 were re-stuffed. Increasing the stopping power but reducing their operational life span. They did rush the retooling so if one of those things backfires you can say good bye to your entire squad. Has to be a class 4 teddy. A good choice.

Hmmm. Several points:
1) She kicks her front door out. If there's one thing we have lots of is keys. LOTs of keys.
2) Poison needles in the phone receiver inducing melodramatic paralysis and an irrational desire to heavily pet the scenery...... Clever blighters these post apocalyptic wild people.
3) Golf club vs chairs (what the hell did those chairs do to her anyway?) you win! Golf club vs High powered sniper rifle.........  Hmmm time to change tactic.
4) That is a highly delicate piece of machinery! You don't just "LOB" a sniper rifle around like it's a sack of spuds! That kind of treatment will totally f**k the sites!
5) Sod the apocalypse! I fancy a foxtrot!

Cutting it back to it's bare bones. Maybe Steampunk, may not be. What it is, without a shadow of a doubt is a Madonna video. Dress her up in a Hessian sack if you like, she'll still wander around doing the furniture or the air, or any pliant human (of above legal age) that happens to be good looking, amenable and handy.

And that's why we love her. Dependable and predictable. Just like clockwork.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #320 on: January 11, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »

I'd like to point out some furry websites have steampunk listed as a kink.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #321 on: January 11, 2016, 05:01:15 pm »

And to some I am quite sure it is........
It has undertones of lengthy unwrapping and rough copulation.
Beastly, sordid, ungentlemanly, unladylike and taboo.

It's always more fun if you know your not supposed to be doing it.

It also lends itself to rather risqué role play. Sort out your safe words before any (worn out) bodice ripping takes place.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:14:08 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #322 on: January 11, 2016, 05:06:13 pm »

yeah, that might be right.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9126921/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4591078/ (not nsfw don't worry)
but if this gets you off I'm sorry for you
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #323 on: January 12, 2016, 05:48:22 am »

Regarding the first one, I feel I must point out horses aren't furry.

However, we are both quite safe - you don't have to feel sorry for me.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #324 on: January 12, 2016, 07:56:12 am »

Regarding the first one, I feel I must point out horses aren't furry.

However, we are both quite safe - you don't have to feel sorry for me.

Well at least not completely furry-less...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clydesdale_horse

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: