The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 05:44:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?  (Read 48154 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #275 on: October 14, 2015, 01:38:53 pm »

what if we make steampunk so mainstream it becomes the social norm and we celebrate the industrial renaissance?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #276 on: October 14, 2015, 03:59:55 pm »

*Raises hand*

I'll say this much for the mainstream appropriation of steampunk: it's awesome to have sewing patterns readily available for victorian-style coats and clothing in the 'costumes' section of patterns books, and I wish there were more.

Absolutely fair, instead of bolstering our own psyches we probably should be thinking; Today there are pattens and shops full of steamy wares to be had. Next season there will be second hand shops full of much the same. For if one wishes to rebel against the constant churning of opinion, fashion and popular worth, then all anyone has to do is simply stand still. For the world moves with such speed; that running is mandatory in order to avoid pariahdom.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:05:10 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #277 on: October 14, 2015, 06:16:50 pm »

*Raises hand*

I'll say this much for the mainstream appropriation of steampunk: it's awesome to have sewing patterns readily available for victorian-style coats and clothing in the 'costumes' section of patterns books, and I wish there were more.

Hear hear!!

I rather like the idea of paying second hand prices next year too; I doubt if my tastes will have changed so I am quite content to take advantage of the fact that others want to follow fashion while I go my own way.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
DrIrritation
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #278 on: October 18, 2015, 10:33:19 pm »

I've just watched a few episodes of "Steampunk'd" a reality competition show. This means the movement has hit the mainstream and hit bottom. You can buy readymade garb in catalogs (top hats with goggles already attached) and you don't need to recycle old clockwork into jewelry- you can buy pre-antiqued gears to do it.
Its a lot like the Victorian craze of a couple decades back- it has spread everywhere and gotten tacky, but things will simmer down and then only the true believers will carry the torch.

Evil Mints- CHOOSE NOW!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2015, 12:16:51 pm »

^Check out the GSN Steampunked thread, that's what it is about.
and...what 'victorian craze'?
You mean that which is celebrated right here?!?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2015, 05:00:40 pm »

As I still have to explain 'steampunk' to most people, I don't think we are that mainstream yet.  In fact sometimes it helps to have a handy example which is more mainstream just to start the explanation rolling even if it's just of the 'stick a cog on it' variety; at least it opens the way for a, hopefully, better one from me (although the phrase 'Victorian retro-futurism' tends to cause a bit of confusion!)
I sometimes think it would be nice to have a readily understandable sentence that encapsulates what is steampunk but given its scope and variety I suspect you would need a book - or maybe several volumes!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2015, 05:03:22 pm »

As I still have to explain 'steampunk' to most people, I don't think we are that mainstream yet. 
(...)

My teachers started to notice my hat and now I have to explain it almost daily.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2015, 05:09:29 pm »

And a very nice hat it is too.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2015, 05:22:22 am »

I've just watched a few episodes of "Steampunk'd" a reality competition show. This means the movement has hit the mainstream and hit bottom. You can buy readymade garb in catalogs (top hats with goggles already attached) and you don't need to recycle old clockwork into jewelry- you can buy pre-antiqued gears to do it.
Its a lot like the Victorian craze of a couple decades back- it has spread everywhere and gotten tacky, but things will simmer down and then only the true believers will carry the torch.

has steampunk  officially jumped the kraken ? Wink
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2015, 01:09:45 pm »

I hope not, building the ramp alone would be a Herculean undertaking (and the little buggers never sit still).
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #285 on: October 22, 2015, 08:50:23 pm »

I sometimes think it would be nice to have a readily understandable sentence that encapsulates what is steampunk but given its scope and variety I suspect you would need a book - or maybe several volumes!
Steampunk has thus far defeated several attempts by our own membership to reduce it to even a single paragraph.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #286 on: October 22, 2015, 08:56:05 pm »

Steampunk has thus far defeated several attempts by our own membership to reduce it to even a single paragraph.

Isn't that just wonderful though.  So many meanings for so many people - we'll never be bored.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #287 on: October 26, 2015, 03:13:20 am »

I don't mind.  I was so very disappointed when the 1980s fashion for ruffled shirts and brocade vests and leather trousers went away.  It taught me that if ever something I actually wore and liked became fashionable I should stock up on it, because however attractive and necessary the garments seem to me, the fashion world flies differently and changes on a whim.

It's always a bit disorienting when one's fandom is noticed by the mainstream.  I like it, though; it brings more eyes and more creativity to the table.  In my opinion it is better than being ignored, marginalized, or belittled.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #288 on: October 26, 2015, 09:57:39 am »

this is what scares me:
http://www.feestwinkelxl.nl/steampunk-kostuum

I don;t think I have to translate what the site says for you to understand, right?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #289 on: October 26, 2015, 02:25:54 pm »

My main measure of how mainstream it is comes from the shows I do.  I do "regular" arts and crafts shows.  At first I got a lot of questions about what it was, what was steampunk.  Then over time it seemed everybody just knew it was steampunk.  At the last show almost know one mentioned steampunk, but many people mentioned Jules Verne.  It was a relatively old crowd, it that means anything.

Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #290 on: October 26, 2015, 06:43:50 pm »

this is what scares me:

I don;t think I have to translate what the site says for you to understand, right?

I tend to view things like that as Mostly Harmless.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #291 on: November 02, 2015, 12:01:02 pm »

Out of curiosity, I picked up a woo-looking business card the other day. For someone who is an insight hunter, artist and alchemist. Yep. I was surprised when looking at their websites to see photos of them with canes and tophats with googles on. The website felt a bit like someone had put a red line over the word Wicca and written Steampunk instead. Is that the future of it, becoming the new wicca?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #292 on: November 02, 2015, 12:58:34 pm »

I see this thread and honestly it crawls all over me......  I am one of the ones who only found steam fairly recently.

I am not trying to find fault, but......   If you sincerely enjoy the Victorian underpinnings and creative re-interpretation of history, then other people diving in wont bother you.  The availability of garments (ready made or not) will please you.  You will be glad to add a few pieces to expand your garb.  Other people's coming in would be welcomed since their addition of stories and art will give you more entertainment options.

But.....    If you revel in it because it is counter culture, off beat, different,  or because you need to feel elitist and apart from common people, then you wont be happy with it becoming more known.   But since you dont love steam for itself, but only for being unique, you can always choose a new oddity to embrace.

This will offend some I am sure, and I apologize, but it simply seems to me, anyone who loves steampunk style and fashion and creations would only be happy to be able to find a steampunk pub more easily.

If you find someone "cheapening the brand" then dont patronize them.   Other than that they wont affect you unless you let them.   

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #293 on: November 02, 2015, 04:38:07 pm »

this is what scares me:

AAAAHHHHHHHHH! What the whating what is that!?

Mr Reid. Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, even you have to admit that this moustache is an affront to common decency. It is an unnatural abomination. We are in the business of making the world dapper sir, we do not make monsters. Ok some of us do, but not naff ones. That upper lip has spawned Satan himself and I'm speed dialling the Vatican rapid response unit on hands free as I type.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:51:36 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #294 on: November 02, 2015, 05:53:45 pm »

this is what scares me:

AAAAHHHHHHHHH! What the whating what is that!?

Mr Reid. Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, even you have to admit that this moustache is an affront to common decency. It is an unnatural abomination. We are in the business of making the world dapper sir, we do not make monsters. Ok some of us do, but not naff ones. That upper lip has spawned Satan himself and I'm speed dialling the Vatican rapid response unit on hands free as I type.

Oh goodness, it's simply someone who has stuck some gears onto a standard pirate costume.

While I personally would not put something so spokey immediately next to my eye, I see no harm in it.

The more minds contemplating the steampunk ethos, the more chances of something interesting burbling up.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #295 on: November 02, 2015, 06:02:47 pm »

And a magical floaty hat no less......
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #296 on: November 02, 2015, 06:07:53 pm »

I see this thread and honestly it crawls all over me......  I am one of the ones who only found steam fairly recently.

Remainder excised in the interest of brevity
Mr. Reid, you've expressed my own sentiments quite concisely.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #297 on: November 02, 2015, 06:09:04 pm »

And a magical floaty hat no less......

To be fair, one cannot really properly manage a menacing upward glance from a lowered face in a cocked hat.  The front point always gets in the way.

I imagine this is some sort of collage of images.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #298 on: November 02, 2015, 06:10:01 pm »

I understand your dismay, but I compare it to martial arts.

25 years I studied, taught, ate, slept, breathed it.  We had uniforms and it had a serious honor system of rank.

But every halloween kids and grown idiots dress like "ninja" and act the fool.

Does any of that tarnish the history and honor of having a grandmaster teach you in person?  Or does it reduce the student's hard won skill?

These "costume wearers" cant diminish the value of a hand sewn corsette or a well done prop.   In fact, consider the person as "showing interest" but in an ignorant way.   They might be taught better.

I promise if I show to a gathering with a chincy costume and,see it beside the works,of true makers, I would be inspired to do better.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #299 on: November 02, 2015, 06:14:41 pm »

Remainder excised in the interest of brevity
Mr. Reid, you've expressed my own sentiments quite concisely.

I too feel that dismay at popular attention given to one's subculture is misdirected.

Nothing enlivens a culture so much as an influx of minds.  That many of them are only lightly acquainted with the conventions does no harm, and the possibilities of new thought and creativity are invaluable.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: