The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 08:25:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?  (Read 47055 times)
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #250 on: June 25, 2015, 01:58:37 am »

Steampunk has gone too mainstream when Disney promotes a SP-themed film

So............. since Atlantis 2001?

No wait....   Based on Belle's father's invention...  Beauty and the Beast 1991

Yep........   too mainstream since them  LOL   

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #251 on: June 25, 2015, 11:08:24 am »

You missed one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20,000_Leagues_Under_the_Sea_%281954_film%29

Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #252 on: June 25, 2015, 11:36:25 am »

Oh yes! And since Frontierland opened in 1955, with the exception of it not being Victorian LONDON the criteria were met in the mid 1950's.    Way too mainstream since then......
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2015, 12:20:55 pm »

I've noticed something here. Perhaps "Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?" is not the question that is concerning most people replying to this thread.
A more apt question in light of responses might be perhaps "Do we feel that the appropriation of Steampunk symbolism by popular culture cheapens the message it is trying to get across?"

To answer that one, Steampunk would have to have a universal message to be subverted.

Although personally; I will admit to a slight tinge of sorrow when I see a black spandex clubbing tea-shirt with a neon reflective cog on it and the word "Steampunk" proudly displayed underneath. I feel for some reason it's missing the point. But then, if we don't have a point then it is impossible to miss it; therefore said cheap naff clubbing item is as much "Steampunk" as anything else.

One things for sure, it certainly falls short of "Splendid".

Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #254 on: June 25, 2015, 01:06:21 pm »

I can see your point.  I guess being new to SP I am glad it is reaching the masses ( me) 

As with a lot of cultural "fads" the broader reach means watered down periphery.  But the core folks can still enjoy the quality approach they have before.   That kid with the silly t-shirt doesnt diminish a brilliant airship miniture like I saw posted on another thread.  It just increases the number of folks who would enjoy the well done art

All my opinion as a newb
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #255 on: June 25, 2015, 06:37:44 pm »

I can see your point.  I guess being new to SP I am glad it is reaching the masses ( me) 

As with a lot of cultural "fads" the broader reach means watered down periphery.  But the core folks can still enjoy the quality approach they have before.   That kid with the silly t-shirt doesnt diminish a brilliant airship miniture like I saw posted on another thread.  It just increases the number of folks who would enjoy the well done art

All my opinion as a newb

Don't fret too much.

As you spend more time with us you will find that we are all new to steampunk, and are just making it up as we go along.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2015, 10:43:33 am »

Well quite, navel gauzing is all well and good but essentially (as I've mentioned earlier) all of this is completely out of our control anyway. You can be as angry as you like about anything, it does not gift the power to correct (if indeed it needs correcting) the situation.

Have a nice gin. It'll be fine.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »

...navel gauzing is all well and good,,,
That would be from the Goth end of the fashion spectrum, then?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2015, 04:34:48 pm »

...navel gauzing is all well and good,,,
That would be from the Goth end of the fashion spectrum, then?

You've caught me with my dyslexia showing! I'm mortified! I will never post again.

You know I've always loved that. Now I want you to understand that your exemplifying an incredibly common social obscurity there. This is not in retaliation to your fine wit or expert timing sir merely pointing out the nature of the accepted oddity: To wit, the necessity of correction around the written word; irrespective of the source.

Because source is very important, when it comes to other executions of whit. The incorrect application of whit can seem intensely callous and cruel. Asking the paraplegic why he doesn't want to have a good knees up being a prime example. The source precludes the use of whit.

Not so with text based medium. You could have a half fried, one limbed, oxygen sucking, cancer ridden bed wetter and it'll all go fine until you put the wrong "there" in a sentence.

I love it. The yin-yang of it all is wonderful. Beautifully, beautifully human.   
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2015, 04:41:19 pm »

The incorrect application of whit can seem intensely callous and cruel.

I think you meant wit.

Whit is a miniscule particle.    Grin

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2015, 04:48:37 pm »

Fantastic!  Wink
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #261 on: June 26, 2015, 05:58:38 pm »

Just for the record, (and I believe Mr. Angus already understands this,) my remark was not meant to be either cruel or superior. Ordinarily I let minor spelling errors or slips of the tongue (slips of the thumb?) slide, understanding that many people have difficulty spelling for a range of reasons (from dyslexia, to poor memory, to simply being more interested in other things.) It's just that the phrase "navel gauzing" evoked such an amusing image I could not but share it and hope that my whit of wit was as entertaining to others as it was to me. Smiley

That, and that I simply must answer Humpty Dumpty's question of "who is to be master." Wink
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #262 on: June 26, 2015, 06:01:02 pm »

Yes, as has been being discussed in pm's,  I was going for humor, not any kind of dominance games or serious correction. 

I have been told on many occasions that my smartest feature is my mouth.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #263 on: June 26, 2015, 06:15:56 pm »

I should explain. I find the sociology of wit intriguing. I don't take a seconds worth of offence (and no one should) from one single word said here.

I love the idea of acceptability and the changing idea of acceptability. Acceptability does change massively. It's just so interesting. 40 years ago slapping a female stranger on the ass was "just a bit of fun". Try it now and see how far you get Cheesy

Acceptability is defined by the times we live in and SHOULD be discussed as it sets the bedrock of the next generation and at it's most dangerous inhibits our ability to freely express ourselves.

This is perfectly acceptable and should remain so, my main point was to argue that it's a little sad that this is the only outlet for such things which are natural. Also It's not my favourite dyslexic joke:

Have you heard about the dyslexic devil worshipper? He sold his soul to Santa!

Classic!

Anyway, we are sidetracking here, well I kind of side tracked it  (without a "crossbow" in sight I might add). Many sub-cultures have an ethos, that those who do not wish to be washed away with the tide of popular culture cling to. Admittedly for a LOT of subcultures that ethos is a chronological one. The same songs and crys of "you weren't THERE man!". Steampunk is different we don't appear to have any real ethos. So what do we cling to when the world is flooded with crap cogs and knocked off tweed? Do we really need an ethos in the first place? I don't know. We are charting a strange course here.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:26:19 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #264 on: June 26, 2015, 07:01:18 pm »

I think we do have an ethos, in that we value quality and workmanship over quantity and price cuts; we value word play over the vicarious taking of offence on behalf of other people (who weren't actually offended to begin with,) and we try not to take ourselves too seriously.

Hail Santa!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #265 on: June 26, 2015, 09:58:34 pm »

We value people.  Each person is different and has different skills and abilities to discover.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2015, 07:05:33 am »

Mr von Corax - you have one?  You actually stole the statue from Piccadilly Circus??

Oh, ethos ...

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2015, 08:16:54 pm »

In another thread someone mentions the new restaurant they are working on getting a ready made steampunk kit. Like those kits for making irish pubs or sports bars. Sounds awfully mainstream.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2015, 08:24:07 pm »

I just spent a week in Lincoln at the biggest Steampunk gathering there is.
It's in it's 7th year.

There were people who live and work in Lincoln who STILL have no idea what Steampunk is and hadn't noticed the gatherings in previous years.

If Steampunk is going mainstream I think it has a ways to go.

And if it does, and there's a surge in mainstream marketing, there's no reason why we have to engage with it, buy into it or pay it any heed.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2015, 04:26:45 am »

But this thread was started so long ago, that by now (and I have used this analogy many times - in this thread too), surely this is a bit like asking whether vampire novels are becoming mainstream.

I'm quite sure that out there, somewhere there is an old lady who is not acquainted with vampire novels -even though the genre is more than a century old.  Hence the popularity of the genre ebbs and wanes, and a new wave of people "discover" the genre for the first time.

At this point, I'd say we're here to stay, and generations to come will be Steampunks regardless of what greater society thinks about it.

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2015, 02:37:58 pm »

The possibility presents itself that when this thread was begun we "blipped" into mainstream then out again and we are once again experiencing another "blip" hence the resurgence of the tread.

End of the day; it's all about comfort. Popular or not, I have found a style in which I find worth. That will vector in and out of popularity as the tzars of fashion and the orchestrators of popular culture dictate.

We, my noble sirs and ladies (unlike may other subcultures) have the luxury of linage to draw upon. Victoriana places the style beyond the sub-culture wars of the 70's through the 80's. You cannot have a derogatory "elderly Steampunk" in the same way an "old teddyboy," "old goth" or "old punk" might be.  We are not the old, seen as someone hanging on to the past, personal glory days that orbited around the bright sun of youth now tarnished and aged. Physical examples, living personifications of that horrific adage; "mutton dressed as lamb". We have set our sites beyond youth and I would wager are much more capable of ageing well within this sub-culture as a result.

To be Steampunk is a masterstroke that transcends the normally age hating nature of subculture. We are not "of the time" more "of the ages."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:41:06 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2015, 05:02:59 pm »

Good point. It's difficult to be "too old" to carry off a style which is older than the oldest of us.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2015, 06:54:18 pm »

Well said, both von Corax and ClymAngus.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #273 on: October 14, 2015, 09:54:18 am »

We, my noble sirs and ladies (unlike may other subcultures) have the luxury of linage to draw upon. Victoriana places the style beyond the sub-culture wars of the 70's through the 80's. You cannot have a derogatory "elderly Steampunk" in the same way an "old teddyboy," "old goth" or "old punk" might be.  We are not the old, seen as someone hanging on to the past, personal glory days that orbited around the bright sun of youth now tarnished and aged. Physical examples, living personifications of that horrific adage; "mutton dressed as lamb". We have set our sites beyond youth and I would wager are much more capable of ageing well within this sub-culture as a result.

As someone who has been in the goth scene for a full decade but is still very often the youngest person at any goth club she attends (often by almost the same number of years) may I tell you that being an elder goth is something to which I aspire. Younger members especially look up to and respect those who remember the 'early days'. I don't think goth style has a sell by date any more than steampunk does- it's timeless =]

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #274 on: October 14, 2015, 12:25:37 pm »

*Raises hand*

I'll say this much for the mainstream appropriation of steampunk: it's awesome to have sewing patterns readily available for victorian-style coats and clothing in the 'costumes' section of patterns books, and I wish there were more.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: