The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:52:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?  (Read 48006 times)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2014, 06:18:39 pm »

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,

-----------------------------------------------

So where were we? Oh yes. There is a certain planning for the unplannable about all this. As little could be done if it does become more mainstream or does not, whatever your opinion maybe of either state of affairs. There are four possible states:

Steampunk becomes more mainstream, and you don't mind: Result? Nothing because your happy.
Steampunk becomes more mainstream, and it vexes thee: Result ? Not a lot as our ability to alter popular culture is limited.
Steampunk becomes less mainstream, and you don't mind: Result? Nothing because your happy.
Steampunk becomes less mainstream, and it vexes thee: Result ? Not a lot as our ability to alter popular culture is limited.

As you can see, opinion has little effect on the outcome. So all that's really left is to benefit from the inevitable which ever inevitable that maybe.

Kimchi
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2014, 03:55:17 am »

sorry I haven't read through all the posts but in my opinion , I don't think that Steampunk is becoming "too" mainstream at least not in my neck of the woods.  It is better known but I consider that a good thing, Steampunk is a hard thing to explain so I like it when people know what it is!
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #227 on: April 06, 2014, 06:22:28 am »

First a disclaimer. In deference (sp?) to house rules; although this skirts the issue of religion, I promise not to make an attempt to explain or defend anything, nor engage in an attempt to proselytize anyone. "To every thing there is a season", and this ain't it. Rather it is meant to be a compliment to virtually all of those who have posted on this subject and many others as well.

Having said that, let me say this: you may find it surprizing but there are certain comments herein that are applicable to some who identify themselves with my particular faith. Most notably (a) There are are certain people who are very taken up with what is and is not appropriate to their life and world view. Fortunate this seems to be largely a thing of the past, but there are still some loiterers about. I really couldn't find much of this in this thread, but when I did they were merely commented upon, and they were usually of a disapproving nature. (b) There are those who are all for supporting and encouraging the newcomers rather than finding fault. To a large degree I think that the health and growth of streampunk, or anything else, will be largely determined by the number, and the activity of this element. I was encouraged by the suggestions and admonitions along those lines that were expressed, particularly in this thread.

The two main points of this entry is to apologize for those of the former sort, in my or any other, crowd. And as for the latter group, I would like to give a major thumbs up to anyone with this kind of an attitude, in every good cause. And I must say that in the vast majority of the posts in virtually all of the threads I have read, where differing opinions have been expressed, it has been handled in a very adult and mature manner.

To Whom It May Concern: If any of this is in violation of any rules,"no religion" or otherwise,  please do not hesitate to delete it.     

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2014, 07:26:39 am »

I could hope that perhaps its not Steampunk becoming mainstream, but the world becoming less mainstream?

What do we want? Decapitations!
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2014, 02:22:51 pm »

By George I think you have hit upon a interesting question. I know that I'm very idealistic, and/or perhaps foolish, but for the most part I would like to see the concept of "mainstream" become a thing of the past I would rather envision many smaller groups interlocking wherever common interests intertwine.

as to the maker ethic, it puts me in mind of a very real movement that was of the Vicwardian period, if my memory hasn't depleted for a coffee break. I'm quite sure that the term "Arts and Craft Movement" is nothing new to the majority of the folks here. If it isn't something that you have encountered by all means check it out. I can never get enough of William Morris wallpaper, or the art nouveau work of John Rene Macintosh.

Party on dudes.

Ian S
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:27:11 pm by creagmor » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2015, 02:55:13 pm »

I was at the library today, looking at different education brochures. One of them had on the cover a woman wearing what I can best describe as a chandelier and with a pterodactyl figure on her head. When I opened the brochure, I realized she was meant to be dressed steampunk. They had a small paragraph about how steampunk is a fashion that looks to tge future and in the same way education prepares you for the future. It seemed an odd place for steampunk to pop up.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2015, 01:46:11 am »

I was at the library today, looking at different education brochures. One of them had on the cover a woman wearing what I can best describe as a chandelier and with a pterodactyl figure on her head. When I opened the brochure, I realized she was meant to be dressed steampunk. They had a small paragraph about how steampunk is a fashion that looks to tge future and in the same way education prepares you for the future. It seemed an odd place for steampunk to pop up.

rearing a very ugly head
Cousin Itt
Officer

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2015, 03:20:10 am »

Mainstream?Huh

Never!

Bwah.ha,ha,ha,ha!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2015, 04:04:48 am »

I bough a mens Tshirt with a steampunk type logo at the supermarket  recently.  Skull with goggles and wings. I cut the sleeves and neck off to personalise it.

The supermarket staff had no idea it was steampunk

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2015, 01:15:20 pm »

I do art and craft shows.  A few years ago, I would get a lot of questions about what steampunk was.  Now I rarely get asked about steampunk.  Everybody just seems to know the basic idea.

henrietta Devereux
« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2015, 05:53:50 pm »

The marketing luvvies have a checklist and steampunk is on it. tick
Handy for the followers of fashion. Usually they soon move on to next season style.

We may all know steampunk as been around for years but for mainstream media, people like Givenchy are "leading" the way check out the corsets on pic 7, 8 etc in the 2015 catwalk show. http://fashionista.com/2015/03/givenchy-fall-2015

Steampunk looks good, so the designers copy. Followers pay for "instant" style which never works as well as when the outfit is individually crafted.

Happily the existence of genre's like steampunk allows people to reject corporate branding and adopt individual style irrespective of whatever is this seasons mainstream chatter.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2015, 12:15:23 am »

I have a lot of respect for high end fashion designers - they are creating art. Wearable art with fine art price tags, whether I approve of that or not, I believe they tend to aspire to artistic integrity. I think it is the replication of their looks for the high street where the 'trends' tend to come in. The couturiers' are trying to create unique pieces not panda to the mainstream.

The inspiration behind that Givenchy collection - with the combination of Victorian elements and Latina subcultural styles is fascinating to me - even though I personally don't find the resulting garments to be attractive. It doesn't look steampunk to me really - although I can see shared influences and it probably doesn't look steampunk to the designer, but when it comes to replicate that look for the mass market, the labels will be looking at ways to make it accessible to the public. They use words that are in their vocabulary - like Gothic or Baroque and for better or worse steampunk is now a widely understood concept and so I'm sure the corsets will.get described that way by some media outlets.

Fashion fascinates me - there are an infinite number of ways to fulfil the basic functions of clothing - to provide protection for the elements etc. and so it is one of our most highly developed forms of personal expression. For me steampunk will always be a facet of my personal style - because it ties in with how I wish to portray myself and represents things which are important to me. Trends in the mainstream will come and they will go. A few years ago I got accidently hailed as a 'fashionista' by a clothes show photographer - all such things pass, and when they do, steampunk is still here, but there are some more ruffled blouses on the sale rails! The mainstream borrows from us and then we take the bits which benefit us and run with them. It's been happening to Goth for 35 years. Personally I don't think Goth has suffered from it and I don't think steampunk will either.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2015, 12:25:50 am »

The litmus test as to whether steampunk has become too mainstream will be when the SyFy Channel produces a weekly series in such a setting.

Likely if such does ever manifest itself, it's odds on that Casper Van Diem or some other cardboard-cutout actor will play the lead character.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2015, 12:34:04 am »

Wasn't that the plan, with the Warehouse 13 spin-off?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2015, 12:45:39 am »

I hate to break it to y'all, but that fad period (mainstreaming of Steampunk) has come and gone already (note this thread is old).

Just in case you have forgotten we already had out little fight with the high couture industry (or someone claiming to represent it), when Steampunk was erroneously accused of appropriating ideas from fashion designers:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40119.msg853414.html#msg853414

In my book, you already are mainstream if you came up with a concept, and many years later, people who had a similar idea, long after, turn around and start pointing fingers at you claiming that you stole their idea!!

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2015, 03:08:30 pm »

"Coruthers! Get the elephant gun! I've put 4 barrels of buckshot through this thread and it's still moving!"
Cheesy
If there is money to be made (or perceived to be made) by acting as a steampunk pundit. Then I'm quite sure someone will do so. As I have seen few (and listened to fewer) I assume there is no money in it (thankfully). One might be called on to render a judgement based on expertise or skill. But who really has any expertise in a subjective matter? Such as what is/isn't Steampunk? At best we have an opinion.

I like the idea that we show people a different way of being. I like that, it panders to my ego. Although there is I fear, an essential paradox here;

If Steampunk is subjective, then how can a subjective thing become mainstream? Surely someone's personal opinion of any single affectation of something they would define as Steampunk might, but then, if that aspect is not shared by others or only some others..... Then Mainstream has both become more and less Steampunk at the same time. Depending entirely on your point of view.

Then there is the nitty problem of selective appropriation and removal of context. I.E. Glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk.

All in all I'd say put the kettle on, crack open the digestives, brew up a builders special and watch the show. Intervention will only make a fool of anyone who attempts it.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2015, 03:38:56 am »

With doing regular art/craft shows, EVERYBODY know what steampunk is at this point.  People use to asking me about it, but that rarely every happens.  People of all ages just go "Oh steampunk"
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2015, 01:18:00 pm »

so, are we overtly concerned that familiarity might breed contempt?

I'm not trying to be facetious here, It's a fairly serious question.
I know certain sub-groups that thrive on 'hidden knowledge' and secrecy.
In our unilateral urge to be open have we sacrificed the mystique of mystery?

We will not be surfers on a society changing Zeitgeist, that much is certain.
After the initial razzmatazz, it would appear we will be settling into the well established role of rare kooks.

Much like so many other sub-cultures before us. Our destiny appears to be a footnote. A large one, but a footnote none the less in the wider tome of culture.
Kind of like pearly kings and queens. Rare things that turn heads and occasionally raise a comment.

Not a bad thing to be really. Cheesy
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2015, 09:56:22 pm »

I was having a browse through ladies dress shops and notice that the wrap-round skirt with a 'v' -shaped hemline is in fashion at the moment.  Sometimes the 'v' is cut and sometimes achieved with a draw-string.  How very steampunk.  I bought a really cheap one that I plan to over-trim with lace ruffles.  It is about time I tried out my ruffle foot on the sewing machine.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2015, 10:11:02 pm »

I'm regularly asked 'What's Steampunk?' by apparently otherwise knowledgeable people.

I don't think Steampunk is 'Mainstream' at all.

It's only truly 'known' in the kinds of places where books are read and fantasy is King.
The kinds of places that Steampunks frequent.

We may be a Big Fish but we're still in a Small Pond as far as Mr. Average and Mrs. Majority are concerned.

Not that I would care if it was.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2015, 10:31:53 pm »

I had an interesting conversation with a peer  [old school friend] last night over the phone.  She said steampunk was really old and had been around  for years   and had always been in New Zealand and the movies. That it was like going out and making stuff in a shed  to use. She went on to  reference   various vintage precincts in the South Island of our fine country [not quite how she put it] that have been here forever  [ or at least since we were born].  She mentioned the art in  "Last Destination" and various old movies from the 50s and 60s.

While New Zealand is a very quaint and curious place, dotted with  eccentricities and make do  ingenuity,  I did have to inform her the term steampunk was coined in 1987 by an international author. She was like yeah but all that old stuff has always been around . I was yeah  we lived like that here  but over seas  didn't catch up with us for a long while  , we just take this stuff for granted .

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2015, 10:50:15 am »

I'm regularly asked 'What's Steampunk?' by apparently otherwise knowledgeable people.

I don't think Steampunk is 'Mainstream' at all.

It's only truly 'known' in the kinds of places where books are read and fantasy is King.
The kinds of places that Steampunks frequent.

We may be a Big Fish but we're still in a Small Pond as far as Mr. Average and Mrs. Majority are concerned.

Not that I would care if it was.

I feel we are agreeing. You've just put it in a much more rock and roll way than I did. I am lightly envious.
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #247 on: June 25, 2015, 12:30:50 am »

Let me amend my early commentary concerning the SyFy Channel.

Steampunk has gone too mainstream when Disney promotes a SP-themed film and expands their parks worldwide to include a SP Victorian London section.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #248 on: June 25, 2015, 12:44:58 am »

Steampunk has gone too mainstream when Disney promotes a SP-themed film and expands their parks worldwide to include a SP Victorian London section.

I think the real question should be, "Is the mainstream becoming too Steampunk?"

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #249 on: June 25, 2015, 01:49:45 am »

I think the real question should be, "Is the mainstream becoming too Steampunk?"

Spoon boy: Do not try and make Steampunk mainstream. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no Steampunk, as there is no mainstream.
Neo: There is no Steampunk?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not Steampunk that becomes mainstream, it is only yourself.

Both Steampunk and mainstream are ineffable constructs of the mind.  As such your mind creates, transforms and destroys the subculture.  Someone who is locked in a state of conformity will not see Steampunk at all, but only a fad. Someone who's imagination can't be repressed, and is in a constant state of yearning will see and create the subculture in the mind.  Ultimately the life you experience is entirely subjective.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dzm8kTIj_0M
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:11:15 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: