The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 07:11:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?  (Read 48118 times)
Roderick Hellyer
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2008, 12:03:32 am »

a hypothetical Jules Verne Society,

Miss Navane,

Upon reading your post, I thought I point out this north American Jules Verne society actually does exist

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as well as society's across the world.

Smiley

respectfully

R. Hellyer

As for the future, your task is not to foresee but to enable it -
Antoine De Saint-Exupery
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2008, 12:18:27 am »

a hypothetical Jules Verne Society,

Miss Navane,

Upon reading your post, I thought I point out this north American Jules Verne society actually does exist

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as well as society's across the world.

Smiley

respectfully

R. Hellyer

that quote wasn't from me, it was from H. MacHinery.

OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2008, 01:30:08 am »

- Now that Mr Nakamura(?) has saved society from the Great Steampunk Scare of 2008, and thus unintentionally(?) saved us from the threat of mainstreaming, can we rest easy?

Where is this post aforementioned?

See this thread: http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=10552.0

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
John Pants
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2008, 03:50:47 am »

And how, pray tell, does that post about the community help solve the problems?

-Agito Novus
Agito Novus
Snr. Officer

Captain of the CSS Setzer

« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2008, 04:44:07 am »

Drat.
I left my First mate's account logged in on the shipboard Difference engine

Silencius Vel Nex
Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2008, 12:38:16 am »

Definite No vote from me for creating any kind of 'Formal' organisation. I mean, its like women. Do you ever notice how well you're getting on with one. And then they mention the word 'relationship'? By he way: I'm not being sexist. 'cause I think the average woman is far superior to the average man. Its only that I'm superior to the average. Sorry!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2008, 12:51:48 pm »

"I think the average woman is far superior to the average man."

And that is not sexist how exactly?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Benzworth
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2008, 03:32:34 pm »

It's not sexist, it's reverse-sexist Tongue
Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain

Mad Philosopher and True Gentleman

« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2008, 08:25:09 pm »

Sexism is no more restricted to the simple denigration of women then racism is restricted to the hatred of only black people.

You may be a mad scientist, but I am a mad philosopher.
Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2008, 01:35:43 am »

Hows about reverse contextualist post-modernist some-of-best-friends-are-women [including my boss] I'm-a-masculine-but-not-macho-man in a post feminist world-ism. ? You what?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2008, 06:14:04 am »

<rant>
There is no such %$*&^ing thing as "reverse" discrimination. Discrimination is discrimination, pure and bloody simple. Newspeak terms like "reverse-(blank)ism" are nothing more than disingenuous political-correctivism carefully calculated to convince us to accept something that would otherwise (and quite rightly) lead to rioting in the bloody streets.
</rant>

Ahem.
* von Corax straightens his cravatte, settles his topper and takes a deep, cleansing breath
I apologize for that, but political correctionism does tend to lift my safeties.

To return to the present topic, someone else (and I'm currently far too lazy to determine who) has observed, quite rightly in my opinion, that Steampunk need little fear being sucked into the mainstream: we're far too eclectic, and far too eccentric, to ever be succesfully surrounded and corraled by mainstream/prefabricated culture's conception of what "is."

Warmest regards,
Prof. Darwin P. von Corax
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:17:23 am by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Benzworth
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2008, 06:18:00 am »

Seems that my attempt at a joke was taken a bit too seriously.  Figured the smiley would have given it away... Ah well.  No offense was intended and I'm not really a fan of overly PC language.  I was actually attempting to poke fun at it.  Apparently it just didn't turn out the way I hoped.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:32:06 am by Benzworth » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2008, 06:41:19 am »

Dreadfully sorry, sir, but poking fun at things just isn't politically correct...
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2008, 07:38:38 am »

Remember what Marx said about membership of clubs/organisations.

Dr. Q.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2008, 07:52:11 am »

Dr. Q.

Karl or Groucho?
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2008, 07:56:01 am »

Dr. Q.

Karl or Groucho?

The clever one, of course.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2008, 08:08:04 am »

Actually, I was rather under the impression it was Oscar Wilde who said that.

No matter – if he didn't, I'm sure he will...
Roderick Hellyer
Officer

« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2008, 02:01:59 pm »

Miss Navane,

I tender my heartfelt apology's if my post misrepresented the origin of that quote and for any confusion that may have come from it.

Sincerely

R. Hellyer
Roderick Hellyer
Officer

« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2008, 02:09:34 pm »

Ladies & Gentleman,

the true scale of embrace for steampunk wont be felt until the middle of next year.  In this thread http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=10807.0on the new movies coming out, there are a few that will be big budget with a heavy marketing campaign.

if they are done well, they will capture the public's imagination and if the companies smeel currency in the aether, they will heavily market to the public's latest trend.  Which leaves me or perhaps us in a quandary, do we wish the films to do badly to maintain our quasi - under the radar existence or do we support the well made films and deal with the spotlight on the subculture as best we can ?

Already this past June at the Origins gaming convention my business partner who attend told me there was a huge amount of goggles for sale by retailers.

Will make for an interesting year,

Respectfully

R. Hellyer

Orlando
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2008, 03:02:34 pm »

the true scale of embrace for steampunk wont be felt until the middle of next year.  In this thread http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=10807.0on the new movies coming out, there are a few that will be big budget with a heavy marketing campaign.

if they are done well, they will capture the public's imagination and if the companies smeel currency in the aether, they will heavily market to the public's latest trend.  Which leaves me or perhaps us in a quandary, do we wish the films to do badly to maintain our quasi - under the radar existence or do we support the well made films and deal with the spotlight on the subculture as best we can ?

I had similar thoughts when I saw the thread about the forthcoming movies, but I very much doubt whether the new films will portray the full spectrum of interests and influences that we see at this forum. Steampunks who get a kick out of making and doing things will just have more films to see and the accompanying merchandising will likely be mostly cheap tat.  Any trickle-down effect into popular culture will surely only make the world a better place to live if people start sharing some of the values that we appreciate.  I'm not sure that our sort of stuff can be mass-produced.

I'm still thinking about these things - I'll go back to lurking......

Orlando.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2008, 04:12:07 pm »

What are these movies? All I can think of are Journey to the Center of the Earth and that Lost World Will Ferrel movie.
Orlando
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2008, 04:14:10 pm »

What are these movies? All I can think of are Journey to the Center of the Earth and that Lost World Will Ferrel movie.

See Roderick Hellyer's post above.

http://io9.com/5032199/scifi-movies-finally-catching-up-to-novels-and-going-steampunk

City of Ember
Mutant Chronicles
Here Be Monsters!
Larklight
Bioshock
The Adventures of Luther Arkwright
The Diamond Age    "On a scale of one to steamy, this miniseries is an iPhone tucked into a tophat."
                            Oh dear........  And with George Clooney producing.

Orlando.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 04:30:34 pm by Orlando » Logged
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2008, 06:18:37 pm »

Already this past June at the Origins gaming convention my business partner who attend told me there was a huge amount of goggles for sale by retailers.

Yes because we all know that only steampunks wear goggles. Also, that nerds set the fashion trends of the nation, as seen during the Pocket-Protector Scare of 1945.

The only thing more dangerous than a good idea is a bad idea held by motivated idiots.
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2008, 06:38:43 pm »

See Roderick Hellyer's post above.

http://io9.com/5032199/scifi-movies-finally-catching-up-to-novels-and-going-steampunk

City of Ember
Mutant Chronicles
Here Be Monsters!
Larklight
Bioshock
The Adventures of Luther Arkwright
The Diamond Age    "On a scale of one to steamy, this miniseries is an iPhone tucked into a tophat."
                            Oh dear........  And with George Clooney producing.

Orlando.

Ok, this doesn't tell us when any of them are coming out!
Peachy Carnehan
Gunner

« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2008, 07:53:46 pm »

Having Steampunk go commercial, mainstream or how ever one want to describe should really mean very little to anyone truly interested in it. By its very nature Steampunk is what each and every one of us wants to make of it. Personally I could care less if some multi-national corporation with huge factories in China decides to start making goggles by the bushel basket full. Good for them. I simply won’t buy any and for those that do…well they are missing most of what is really fun.  Besides as mentioned earlier in this thread all of these new adherents to the theme will grow board and move on to whatever the next corporately exploited subject may turn out to be. Everything is like this, it is simply the way the world is.

My favorite author is H. Rider Haggard and while his work is not really Steampunk in the truest sense it fits in well enough with the concept to be used here as an example. I love Haggard’s work and King’s Solomon’s Mines is an incredible story that has been made into some of the most horrible film versions. Each film – I can think of three off the top of my head – has failed to capture the true sense of time and place, not to mention the overriding sense of mysticism that pervades the story. Does this mean I should somehow feel that Haggard’s work is no longer worthy of my attention because some money grubbing Hollywood hack has no idea what real film making could or should be? No and quite the contrary. These horrible films have only made me appreciate the greatness of Haggard’s work even more.

The same should be true with Steampunk. Keep as true as possible to your chosen life style, hobby, passion, - whatever it may be to you and the passing “fad” aspect of Steampunk will do just that and pass.

Also a note of the environmentalism and Steampunk comments. For some reason – to me at least – the two are almost polar opposites, in outward appearances at least. I have always thought that there was a dystopian Victorian element in the subject matter not to mention love of steam engines, rusty cogwheels, machinery and gigantic electrical contrivances.  Am I wrong here? Did something change? Is Steampunk going green? Oh well perhaps it is just another example of it going mainstream!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: