The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 02:31:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Becoming Too Mainstream?  (Read 46891 times)
chromegrrrl
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2008, 07:53:48 pm »

What a delightful suggestion! Of course, courtesy-- common or uncommon would be a welcomed addition to the mainstream culture.

Think of the potential shock value the youngsters would invoke by using good manners! Their elders would be absolutely confounded by this cultured and refined rebellion.

"Ah the kids these days with their goggles and etiquette. What is this world coming to?"
Think_Long
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2008, 07:59:35 pm »

someday i envision that we'll have a choice at kfc: salad spork, or dinner spork?

that would be the single greatest steampunk advancement in the modern world
Victoria The Mistress
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2008, 08:03:01 pm »

someday i envision that we'll have a choice at kfc: salad spork, or dinner spork?

that would be the single greatest steampunk advancement in the modern world

Ah, refinement indeed!!
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2008, 06:02:51 pm »

Steampunk is becoming more noticed - the next issue of a beadwork magazine I get has a feature on steampunk jewellery.

It's slightly annoying as I will want to read it to see what people are doing, but do not want it to influence my own work. Wink

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
AlexanderTheArcane
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Mage for hire: Demons excorcised. Shit blown up.

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2008, 06:17:49 pm »

My take on it...

Will Steampunk ever become mainstream? No. I don't think so.

Will Steampunk become popular? Yes! Yes, it's already on the rise within the nerd (and we all know I use this term with a great deal of affection and good humour) community (fantasy, sci-fi, comics, internet etc.), and it's being picked up on by more, yes, mainstream media like the paper, and the news, and soforth. Though I doubt I'll ever see a sale on goggles at Wal-Mart, I do most emphatically doubt Steam is going to stay our awesome little secret club thing. But that isn't bad. Of course, it's not an outstanding benefit, either, but think of it like this...

As the lifestyle/trend/aesthetic/whatever expands, it'll be picking up both good and bad factors equally. Sure, some people who we (and that's a "decent, sane individuals" we, not an "us steampunks, aren't we so awesome" we) aren't going to take to very well are going to get into it; true enough there's a guy in my town who I've kind of known casually for a bit who had always dressed goth and embraced that sub-culture, and now he's doing steam. Well, doesn't sound bad, does it? Well, problem is, he's not a very nice guy. He's the kind of guy who thinks "THIS IS MY THING, BACK OFF, NARNARNAR", and has actually gone behind my back, as he's done with other people previously, and complained about how I'm somehow trying to be him. I wanna avoid the whole righteous indignation bit, but... I haven't seen the guy face to face for a year. I started getting into Steam about half a year ago. I don't know when he did, and frankly, I don't really... NEED to know. If he ever stopped being a prick (y'know, to his family, his friends, his girlfriends), I'd love to hang out with the guy and build stuff, but...

So I've gone off on a tangent. I think the fact of the matter is that we're all, like I said, decent, sane individuals, and we're mature enough to look past the crap that's going to be inducted, because believe me, there's going to be crap, and look at all the good that can come from this. More Steamy movies (Just saw The Golden Army last night, very good), more novels, more events and activities... just more.

Anyway, that's my tuppence.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 06:20:00 pm by AlexanderTheArcane » Logged

"I'll show you a wonder!" - Walter O'Dim
Chief Engineer of The Aurelia
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2008, 08:01:11 pm »

Just on a lighthearted note...I'd love to see a group of teenage girls customizing their bustles the way they now customize their jeans.

Vienna
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2008, 09:54:31 pm »

Just on a lighthearted note...I'd love to see a group of teenage girls customizing their bustles the way they now customize their jeans.

Vienna

I really don't think most of those customizations would work on a bustle... Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
CapnSamwise
Gunner
United States United States

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2008, 10:28:39 pm »

Didn't we have this conversation, like, three months ago?

I'm pretty sure worrying about becoming too mainstream is more damaging than actually becoming mainstream. Two-fisted science action will not stop being awesome because of 13 year old girls being, you know, girly.

The only thing more dangerous than a good idea is a bad idea held by motivated idiots.
Roderick Hellyer
Officer

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2008, 03:04:02 am »

a minor post script on the availability of googles.

they may not be at the local mall in abundance but a business partner
went to Origins game fair in Ohio in late June and on returning back his first words to me where

"The goggles...let me tell you about the goggles"

in a very desperate french accent I might add.

seems that there where tons of premade goggles there for sale from more then one vendor....

are we mainstream yet.... no but where traveling on greased rails towards it....

Respectfully

R. Hellyer

As for the future, your task is not to foresee but to enable it -
Antoine De Saint-Exupery
chromegrrrl
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2008, 02:57:51 am »

Vienna
That's not a bad idea. That's a really GOOD idea, I'd love to see it too. Could we invent trouser bustles for the poor little hip-less creatures that have no cushioning on their bottoms?
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2008, 08:20:50 am »

I'm pretty sure worrying about becoming too mainstream is more damaging than actually becoming mainstream.

Amen.
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2008, 12:03:32 am »

Vienna
That's not a bad idea. That's a really GOOD idea, I'd love to see it too. Could we invent trouser bustles for the poor little hip-less creatures that have no cushioning on their bottoms?

I'd advocate changing society such that big bottoms become fashionable. I think that would solve more problems than just bustle-modification.

Okay, highlight one instance where convention fashions have ever bled into the mainstream, and T-shirts with stupid sayings don't count.
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2008, 12:16:11 am »

Vienna

IIRC Wonderbra did underwear with bottom padding a couple of years back. I can currently only find reference to it on a couple of UK red-tops sites though.
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2008, 12:27:43 am »

they may not be at the local mall in abundance but a business partner
went to Origins game fair in Ohio in late June and on returning back his first words to me where

"The goggles...let me tell you about the goggles"

in a very desperate french accent I might add.

seems that there where tons of premade goggles there for sale from more then one vendor....

are we mainstream yet.... no but where traveling on greased rails towards it....

As much as I like (and am) sci-fi geeks, even if we all wore goggles, we'd hardly be enough to make anything "mainstream"
chromegrrrl
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2008, 02:01:47 am »

Vienna

IIRC Wonderbra did underwear with bottom padding a couple of years back. I can currently only find reference to it on a couple of UK red-tops sites though.

Here you can find rubber fahas that extend nearly to the knees with holes strategically cut in the rear to give that Brazilian booty look (that only Brazilian women seem to wear well) or girdles that have rear enhancing powers.

I think it might be more interesting to see bustles that actually go over the trousers, in a coordinating fabric, with assorted embellishments. When corsets and chemises are now moderately acceptable outerwear I don't see why bustles should hide away in the history closet or under layers of fabric.

I'd advocate changing society such that big bottoms become fashionable. I think that would solve more problems than just bustle-modification.

More rational hip-waist-bust ratios would make more sense.
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2008, 02:27:06 am »

Rationality is boring. I'd much rather fight dragons with a lightning zeppelin while my army of Lucy Liu robot clones watch.
chromegrrrl
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2008, 02:52:14 am »

Rationality is boring. I'd much rather fight dragons with a lightning zeppelin while my army of Lucy Liu robot clones watch.
Egads are you saying that you consider the legendary Lucy Liu to be large bottomed?

(In all seriousness I would actually hold Ms. Liu up to be very rationally proportioned and not at all boring.)
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2008, 02:58:41 am »

Egads are you saying that you consider the legendary Lucy Liu to be large bottomed?

(In all seriousness I would actually hold Ms. Liu up to be very rationally proportioned and not at all boring.)

No, I'm suggesting that I'd really, really like a Lucy Liu robot army.
chromegrrrl
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2008, 03:58:01 am »

Oh dear goodness! Imagine what kind of chaos that would cause if ever there was ever another Charlie's Angels movie.
elShoggotho
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2008, 04:51:33 am »

Oh dear goodness! Imagine what kind of chaos that would cause if ever there was ever another Charlie's Angels movie.
Let's hope that they'll never, NEVER reanimate that franchise.
Obsydian
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2008, 05:15:59 am »

Sorry guys, I just had the strangest visual of teenagers trying to sit right in classroom desk seats wearing large bustles.  Grin
Zastrozzi
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2008, 12:15:11 pm »

I've been thinking about this over the weekend, and my thought was this:  If we can't come up with an empirical definition of what does or does not constitute 'steampunk' amongst ourselves (or at least one that doesn't run to at least a good couple of pages) then need we really worry?

I think we're far too mercurial, and what we do will involve far too much hard work to ever go truly mainstream.  That's not to discount the possible formation of a large, organising body which might set down rules and regulations, but I think we're safe from that.  After all, arguably, what we do is form a society which focuses on creative anachronism, and someone else has already got there on that one...
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2008, 03:10:05 pm »

Dear Obsydian,

Your post made me envision collapsible bustles for sitting down at school desks (grin).

Vienna
Captain_Minty_Gearhertz
Zeppelin Captain

I can fly anything... Just watch me!

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2008, 06:20:12 pm »

Dear Obsydian,

Your post made me envision collapsible bustles for sitting down at school desks (grin).

Vienna

How about navigating a classroom with a large bustle... The desks would go flying! Grin

The music is reversable, but time...is not.
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2008, 09:04:15 pm »

Let's hope that they'll never, NEVER reanimate that franchise.

I think the depressingly obscure "Interracial Lesbian Threesome" genre would be the perfect niche for further installations.

Wow, threads get awesomely offtrack when we start talking about lesbian robots. Wonder why that is?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: