The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:57:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk superheroes?  (Read 3183 times)
Captain McCannon
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Trigger-happy Captain of the HMS Ziggurat

« on: June 30, 2008, 08:23:57 pm »

This a (rather silly) idea I've had flying around my head for a bit, and I was wondering what you guys think of it.

I've been thinking of writing a story about superheroes in turn-of-the-century England. Kind of like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, only more fantastical. The plot I had in mind involved a girl called Lynchwood, whose supervillain parents are killed by elite, wing-wearing, raygun-toting city policemen (tentatively named para-peelers). Upon being forced to accept the fact that her parents were mustache-twirling villains who rampaged around London in huge, iron colossuses (well, one of them had a mustache anyway), Lynchwood takes it upon herself to continue her parents' slightly diabolical plan to fix the strange and crazy world that London has become. She also is forced to use her superpower, which, until now, she thought was utterly useless - The ability to rearrange words, or, as she puts it, "makin' and fixin' typos".

The other part of my idea involved Lynchwood seeking out her late parents' friends and their respective offspring to see if they could help with her parents' grand plan. These friends include a wealthy oil baron and his socialite wife, who possess the power of not quite mind-control, but more of mind-suggestion. Also, a mechanic who gives souls to robots. (:

So - what do you think? If I were to write it, would you be interested in reading it? Or should I just stop now and forget the whole deal? /:

"I'm a horrible Captain, why do you think they shoved me on the S.S. Failboat here?"
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 01:29:43 am »

Hmm a Steampunk Satire?

Through in some silly politics and you could be on to something there!

Although I do wonder if the anti-heroine could attend a finishing school for Super-Villans?

Lessons like

Beginners Guide to In-Flight Airship Piracy and Nozzle Repair
 Advanced Sinister Laughing Techniques
 Disfigurement - Do's and Don'ts

Grin

MPsy
Snr. Officer

Capt. Wong Wei

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 01:46:16 am »

As soon as I saw the words Steampunk Superheroes I thought of this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-Captain of the Dreadful Rumor-
"We're not lost!  We're on an adventure!"

Mad Calamity Photos
http://madcalamity.zenfolio.com/

Convention coverage, shorts, interviews, and vlogs!
http://www.youtube.com/user/youknowwhaaa
Simon Hogwood
Zeppelin Admiral

Adventurer & Scholar

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:01:13 am »

Hey, I think it sounds great - you should go for it.  Smiley

I'd be interested in hearing more about your protagonist's superpower - when she "rearranges words", you mean like changing their physical place on a page, right? What would she use it for - scrambling newspapers to influence the masses? Forging Identification?

"The laws of the land mean nothing to a man with a giant mechanical spider!" - Jake of All Trades

"The only clue to my secret obsession is one completely badass hat." - Jacob Squirrel
Captain McCannon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:08:27 am »

Yes, that's precisely what I mean (: Perhaps changing words on international treaties to cause unrest, or de-programming robots (if said robots happen to be coded, and not mechanical =P)

And neon_suntan, that is an awesome idea. "Lairs and Lawgivers: Evoking a sense of dread in your own home" as an elective, maybe?
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:15:58 am »

And neon_suntan, that is an awesome idea. "Lairs and Lawgivers: Evoking a sense of dread in your own home" as an elective, maybe?

I'm reminded for some reason of the childs  movie "Hoodwinked", where one of characters pretends to be from the Power company to sneak into the bad guys' secret mountain lair:-

"So do you have sufficient cabling for a Death-Ray."
"A Death Ray... do you think I should have one?"
"Wellllll I'm not saying you're going to need one tomorrow, but when you do you want to be ready!"
Captain McCannon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 01:33:31 am »

I'm reminded for some reason of the childs  movie "Hoodwinked", where one of characters pretends to be from the Power company to sneak into the bad guys' secret mountain lair:-

"So do you have sufficient cabling for a Death-Ray."
"A Death Ray... do you think I should have one?"
"Wellllll I'm not saying you're going to need one tomorrow, but when you do you want to be ready!"

Heehee, I remember that movie. Hm, steam-powered death rays?
Warwolt
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 02:55:45 pm »

Reminds me of this picture;

Theyr supposed to be some sort of victorian superheros.

I like my steampunk [size=14]OVER THE TOP[/size] thank you very much
RyRy
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 03:40:01 pm »

Upon being forced to accept the fact that her parents were mustache-twirling villains who rampaged around London in huge, iron colossuses (well, one of them had a mustache anyway
I giggled aloud, imagining the mother with a twirlable mustache, then being twirled by her.
flimflam
Officer

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 02:36:41 am »

i'm having a hard time envisioning the super anti-heriones power but other than that i like it Tongue

hola senoro
tadk
Officer

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 03:54:33 am »

I would like to read it
Further more it inspires me to consider some sort of writing in the same vein as well

so go for it I say

Longtime Steampunk fan
http://www.tektek.org/dream/
Captain McCannon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 04:48:41 am »

Hurrah (: Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'll start on it tomorrow.
Arcturon the hobo
Zeppelin Captain
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

I am my own man. You, sir, are the queen's bitch

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 03:02:17 am »

Please do.

Nae king, nae quin, nae laird, nae master! We won't be fooled agin!

I do not suffer fools, fools suffer ME!

"If she be the daughter of fifty kings" Said Father Fitzgibbon "I tell you, you can't marry her, she being a fish."

http://sceyeballkid.deviantart.com/
Captain McCannon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 06:29:49 pm »

Sorry for the delay, I had to board an autogyro bound for the East.

“More tea, Mrs Lynchwood?”

Arlett Lynchwood was usually not one for formalities, but she felt that the occasion called for more this time. She sat at a table neatly bedecked in a frilly, lace tablecloth, with two huge, iron suits sitting to either side of her. Each suit had its own little china teacup, and a sad pile of biscuits that remained uneaten.

The iron suit Arlett had spoken to didn’t so much as acknowledge her.

“I thought as much,” the diminutive Lynchwood girl said, pouring some Earl Grey into the right-hand suit’s teacup. “And you, Father?”

The left-hand suit didn’t move either.

“Yes, I do agree,” the Lynchwood daughter said, dropping a lemon slice into another teacup. “Absolutely disgusting. Isn’t it, Mum?”

The right hand suit flopped to the side a bit.

“Terribly so,” Lynchwood replied, sipping her tea. She really did long for the days when the iron suits were filled with people. Filled with Bernard and Vittoria Lynchwood, to be precise.

Before Lynchwood could ask if Mrs. Vittoria Lynchwood would prefer more sugar, a knock came at her door. It was less of a knock, actually, more of a hammering. Lynchwood’s first instinct was to duck underneath the table and hide from the noise, but, under close watch of the two Colossuses, she felt like she ought to do something a little more civil.

Standing up, she made her way across the floor of her townhouse. It had really gone to the dogs since Bernard and Vittoria’s deaths. Dust had accumulated over all the mantle decorations. Stacks of unwashed dishes and teacups found their home in sinks. Nobody had seen the family cat for weeks. But Arlett Lynchwood was still a little too distraught to begin cleaning. Despite how inconvenient the mess was, it vaguely reminded her of her parents. As if they were still here, making a right din with their clattering and yammering on about whose turn it was to feed the kitten. If she swept up – why… it’d be acknowledging the fact that nobody else was going to do it.

By this time, the hammering on Lynchwood’s front door had gotten quite intense, a heavy tattoo on the premium redwood. Fearing that she would acquire a deadly migraine if she let this continue, Arlett flung the door open.

Hooligan_tuesday
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 07:03:43 pm »

As soon as I saw the words Steampunk Superheroes I thought of this...

Personally it reminded me of Joss Whedons arc in Runaways

Captain McCannon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 10:09:04 pm »

any thoughts on it so far? <: I've got a bit more, but won't put it up unless you're still interested (after reading my shoddy writing =P)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 11:52:36 pm »

It does sound like quite a useless power. What about changing it, so she is able to change all kinds of information. Able to control what people say for example, as well as changing the text in books.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »

I picked up a few comics by the title of "STEAMPUNK" on free comic book day. I can't really read through most of them, they're too drat shiny.

The only thing more dangerous than a good idea is a bad idea held by motivated idiots.
tadk
Officer

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 11:38:17 pm »

I am liking the writing so far
Please post some more
Captain McCannon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 02:54:46 am »

On the other side stood a rather scantily clad young woman, with a painted face, and burgundy-stained bustle skirt lifted high with skirt-lifters. She stood with her arms crossed, pushing her chest up (which was already accentuated by the rather flattering Parisian corset she was sporting) out of habit more than anything. The young woman looked at Lynchwood, peered past her into her house, and then flung her arms into the air as a show of how much disdain she had for the situation.

Lynchwood squinted at her.

The young lady pushed her way into the house, stopping momentarily to squeeze Lynchwood into a rib-crushing hug. She stomped her tiny, boot-clad feet, jaw dropping when the heels stuck to the carpeting.

“Lynch, lovie, what the devil has happened to you?” she cried, gingerly reaching for a teacup and letting go as a small spider eagerly made its way from the handle to her outstretched finger.

Lynchwood coughed. “Arden?”

“Hush, you silly duck. What the Christ is this?!” the loose-looking woman cried loudly, throwing her arms up in the air again at the sight of the two, rusted iron suits sitting at Lynchwood’s tea-table.

“Arden – what – how’d you get here?” Lynchwood stammered.

“Oh, Blakely rode me here,” the girl called Arden said, waving a polished hand at Lynchwood. “Of course, Blakely rode me there, too. Oh God, dearie, is this what you’ve been doing here?”

Lynch sighed. “Arden, I think I’d like to be left alone for the moment.”

“Shut up, love. You’ve been cooped up in here for months.” With that, Arden threw Lynchwood’s pine-green, gold-trimmed curtains open, letting in a stream of glorious light, which happily illuminated every single flaw in Lynchwood’s house.

Putting a finger to her ruby-colored lips, Arden looked quizzically at the iron suits. “What’ve you been doing with your parents’ suits?”

Lynchwood looked sheepish. “Nothing.”

“And you wonder why I’ve always thought you lot were weird,” Arden sighed. “Now, haul these things back into their closet, and come have a cup of tea with me.”

Lynchwood looked at Arden and thought briefly about defying her, but then sucked it up and began to drag her parents’ metal suits back to their respective places.

Meanwhile, Arden began to busy herself clearing Lynchwood’s main room. Arden Littlewood was a working girl, who used to work the streets in the French Quarter of Middle London until the ordinances of the new mayor, Aldrich Blue, banished all the prostitutes to one single block of buildings now known as Whore City. Disgruntled at being confined to a wood-and-marble lobby and matching bedroom instead of the free streets of the Quarter, Arden had been rather testy as of late. She said that putting all the best prostitutes in one place was bad for business. Everywhere you look, she said, there was someone with better looks, body, personality, skills, and teeth than her. Arden prided herself on her teeth, actually, she brushed one every two weeks with vinegar. Point was, she was practically having to sell herself by the metaphorical gates of Whore City to get even a single customer.

In fact, nothing had ever been the same since the plan for New London came into work. Middle London used to be teeming with too much smoke and steam, geared up and highly articulate villains and hero rampaging about Trafalgar Square, factories collapsing and new ones rising overnight – it was a miracle Middle London hadn’t hit the ground running sooner. The mayor the citizens of Middle London elected vowed to fix the out-of-control city – which he did. Mayor Blue began by tearing down factories, arresting villains, putting heroes out of business, and setting mad (and sane) inventors to work perfecting water cooling systems instead of double-barreled ray guns.

But I digress.

As Arden whistled and made tea, Lynchwood returned from storing her parents’ suits. Pulling up an elaborately carved oak chair, she watched as her thin-waisted and well-endowed friend bustled about with the teapot, eventually deeming it perfect and setting it down on the lacy table.

“Lynch, lovie,” Arden began, sitting down opposite her friend. “This sitting at home isn’t becoming.”

“Bleargh,” Lynch replied miserably.

“Rather. Listen, I came to visit, and I also came to ask for help.”

“What with?”

“I,” Arden said in hushed tones, “think we might be in a bit of a pickle.”

"How so?"

"Well... let's just say they're not done cleaning up this hellhole," Arden whispered.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 08:08:06 am »

See also:

Andrew P. Mayer, The Society of Steam series:

The Falling Machine
Hearts of Smoke and Steam
Power Under Pressure

Victorian-era New York Justice League-type heroes!

@Warwolt:  What were these supposed to be, Power Rangers? That's what the colors make me think of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: