The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 29, 2020, 08:17:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now?  (Read 263137 times)
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« on: June 28, 2008, 07:38:45 pm »

Is anyone working on interesting sewing projects, either for everyday wear or upcoming events?

Vienna
Capt. Stockings
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 11:37:29 pm »

Well, this weekend, I'm trying to finish a pair of cropped pinstipe pants and a pleather aviator cap. I'm also about halfway through making a corset for a friend that needs to be finished by the end of the month and I'm drafting the patterns for a corset for myself and a jacket for dbf. All of these projects are for everyday wear and rather steampunk in design, except for my friend's corset, which is for a ren faire. I expect to have about a dozen sewing projects done by the end of the month.

Are you making anything right now?

Mercy
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:53:12 pm »

I'm half way through a mock up for an Edwardian corset, and I've got a bodice on hold until I can find the perfect fabrics for it.

Unfortunately I've been ill recently and now I'm tired all the time so my motivation seems to have dried right up. I wish I had the energy (and, lets be honest, the expertise) to make half the things I design.
Wayland2002
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:45:37 am »

I'm not sewing but my wife is, 2 first century Roman tunics and a peplos. Obviously not for steampunk (maybe Punxromana), actually for the gladiatorial games near Cardiff tomorrow.
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 12:47:19 am »

I'm working on a seemingly neverending historical ensemble.  It uses up a lot of fabric and trim, which is good, as I could use the storage space.  Next, I need to do a pirate outfit for my husband.

Vienna
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 01:35:15 am »

I am altering some pinstripe Lip Service pieces to make a more casual SP outfit, working on a parasol, and some windowtreatments for our formal sitting room. As far large projects I need to finish a skirt out of my blue/purple taffeta  and black velvet  and a corset out of same and a velvet overdress/jacket for a ball gown I need to have finished by Halloween for the NO CA steamcon. It's going to involve some serious bead work and from my experience making my wedding dress I know if I don't have the basic pieces done by early July it won't be finished in time.

Captain Mitarwan
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 03:04:40 am »

I just sewed some new cameo buttons on my silk vest. I am also about to sew some inch-wide Rennaisance tapestry on the collar of one of my stand-up collar shirts. The beautiful gold in it is seriously going to spiff it up.

I have not yet graduated to actual garments.
Doctor Z-kun
Officer

Tinkering Toymaker

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 03:55:26 am »

I'm not working on any particuarly steamy sewing projects right now (moreso Asian-related nerditry), but I might have to start working on a vest soon if I don't acquire a suitable one for a ball I'm likely attending in the fall.

I think I'll go for a crushed red velvet.

If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born.
We are the chick.
The world is our shell.
Smash the world's shell!
For the Revolution of the world!

~ Touga, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 04:09:51 am »

I am working on a green vest and leggings for an Agatha Heterodyne costume, An embroidered brown vest with velvet ribbon weaving in the back and a full emerald green and black ball gown with an apron and bustle.  And I have four other non steampunk costumes in the works and everything must be done by august.  I think I must be mad.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 06:16:14 am »

I dug out the linen, so tomarrow morning I'm going to start on a nightshirt......Hey... I kinda haveto now.... after starting a thread about them......

Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 09:02:49 am »

I will be as soon as my sewing machine starts to behave for me, and i get materials.

"I've been sliding through an interdimensional wormhole seeing how many ways people like you can screw up civilization!"
        - Quinn Mallory, "Sliders"

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 09:51:13 am »

I will be as soon as my sewing machine starts to behave
Yeah... I can adjust the timing on the machine.... and sorta fix it..... but so far I've discovered that threatening it with a grinder works the best....

Hey... the stupid machine wants to be a weed whacker, not a sewing machine.....
Doctor Z-kun
Officer

Tinkering Toymaker

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 05:18:18 pm »

My sewing machine started behaving better after the first beating. "He" prefers praise and affectionate pets.
Ginny Blundy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

I'm working on the mock up for the frock coat I started this thread about: http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=9341.0.

The mock up is bright acid green, with two hunter green panels in the back (I ran out of the bright green fabric). So I'm sure I'll look like a nuclear leprechaun when it's done.

Oh, you are beautiful! No really, you are, you're gorgeous! Space-age clockwork, I love it, I've got chills! Listen, I mean this from the heart - and by the way, count those - it would be a crime, it would be an act of vandalism to disassemble you.

But that won't stop me.
Sophia
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 07:48:50 pm »

Just got back from Paris two days ago with (I kid you not) $350 in lace and ribbon trim.  There is this little store at the base of the Sacre Coeur that carries high end trim and I try to go there once every 4 years and buy until the money runs out.  Then I make stuff to put it on.  This week's project is a Victorian corset.  The Renaissance couset went well a few months ago, but this one is giving me fits.  I've scrapped the first try and am onto the second, and I have one less piece of metal boning than I need so I have to wait until Wednesday when I can get out to the one store in 100 miles that carries the stuff.....

Lauren
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 09:20:15 pm »

I just finished a waistcoat and some arm warmer type things that was meant for Jon's ESM game last night.  Not that I finished them til this morning, so it's as well I couldn't go, perhaps. 

The arm thingies were meant to be close-fitting but the wool didn't have as much give as I expected so I had t make them a lot wider, and they were then baggy at the wrists, so I made leather cuffs to go over them and hold them in.  Not sure they're what I wanted but they're individual... 

I apologise for the low-quality pictures, but I hit the default setting on the camera! 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 09:31:29 pm »

My sewing machine started behaving better after the first beating. "He" prefers praise and affectionate pets.

Thank you Z-kun, I'll try this and see if Lily starts to behave. (obviosly my sewing machine is a tempermental female.) This method seems to be similar to training a dog by aversion therepy.
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 09:42:18 pm »

I'm currently making a petticoat, but have given up for the night as I've sewn two panels together incorrectly and can't seem to unpick them without removing chunks of fabric. I might try again later, as I can't do anything more with it until I've sorted that problem out.

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 09:45:41 pm »

a Simplicity Costume victorian style dress and a shirt.
Unfortunately i have run out of money for classes, and my own machine doesn't do button holes Sad

CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 10:02:14 pm »

I have still never gotten my sewing machine correctly-threaded, so I am no expert, but I have found that computers react well to a vicious smile and "Do you want to learn to fly?" (this works best in a multi-story building)

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 12:44:45 am »

(obviously my sewing machine is a tempermental female.)
Mine's a no good *$&  &@^$   ***%   (((#..........!

Funny thing is... I once threatened it with a battle Axe... my coworkers were horrified...... but the *$&@*((%)@ started sewing again....

Yeah... I have a hate... hate relationship with that stupid machine.... don't know of any carpenters that have a hammer that won't work when they want it too, but my machine will mess up just to be evil.....

Lately, I've discovered that if I threaten it with a metal grinder, it does behave for awhile......

NOTE: I am also a professional costume designer... specializing in Animal mascots, so what I have to feed through the machine, is not what it was designed to handle......That is also how I learned how to fix the sucker....
cfilson
Deck Hand

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 02:58:08 am »

What's the brand? I have a Bernina 930 that's probably older than I am. No electronics, runs smoothly, have dropped it a few times. You can get Berninas off of ebay.

Have found Singers to always be problematic-- lots of thread snagging, snarling and snapping, gets stuck a lot. Brother machines are okay for light sewing/quilting, mostly plastic it seems. Heard Juki is good, haven't tried it. The crazy computerized one.. starts with an H..? Can't remember. They sell it at JoAnn's. Ridiculously overpriced, seems to be good mostly for embroidery/appliques. You have to buy special computer cards and whatever that cost hundreds of dollars. Think that one's mostly plastic, too.

Between two evils, I like to pick the one I never tried before. [Mae West]
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 04:39:03 am »

Dear cfilson,

I have a Bernina 830 that is "the machine that nothing can kill".  I love it. 

Vienna
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 05:32:15 am »

my evil little lily, is a brothers ls-30. The little bastard refuses to thread, wich is annoying since i know how to thread a damn machine. It just doesn't like me at all.
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 10:55:41 am »

The crazy computerized one.. starts with an H..? Can't remember. They sell it at JoAnn's. Ridiculously overpriced, seems to be good mostly for embroidery/appliques. You have to buy special computer cards and whatever that cost hundreds of dollars. Think that one's mostly plastic, too.

Husqvarna. Probably expensive cause some of them are still made in Sweden, as well as the computer embroidery. Oddly the brand also make chainsaws...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: